    Any tips? Suggestions? What *not* to do?

    (I have Photoshop 7, Elements 3.0, and Gimp 2)

    Thanks!
    Win2Lin Lynn, Mar 18, 2006

  2. Win2Lin Lynn wrote:
    > Hello. I want to create a similar effect with one of *my own* photos,
    > as compared what was done to the photo of Elvis Presley in the
    > following image:
    >
    > http://i1.tinypic.com/rlwc9d.gif
    >
    > Any tips? Suggestions? What *not* to do?
    >
    > (I have Photoshop 7, Elements 3.0, and Gimp 2)
    >
    > Thanks!

    Go monochrome and then up the contrast, adjusting the brightness as you
    go.

    --
    Joseph Meehan

    Dia duit
    Joseph Meehan, Mar 18, 2006

  3. Win2Lin Lynn

    Skip M Guest

    "Win2Lin Lynn" <> wrote in message
    > Hello. I want to create a similar effect with one of *my own* photos,
    > as compared what was done to the photo of Elvis Presley in the following
    > image:
    >
    > http://i1.tinypic.com/rlwc9d.gif
    >
    > Any tips? Suggestions? What *not* to do?
    >
    > (I have Photoshop 7, Elements 3.0, and Gimp 2)
    >
    > Thanks!

    Here's one I tried, in PShop7.
    Image/Adjustments/Posterize/Desaturate/Contrast. Worked the contrast until
    it looked like the image you posted. But you could have figured that out,
    too, just by experimentation.

    --
    Skip Middleton
    http://www.shadowcatcherimagery.com
    Skip M, Mar 18, 2006
  4. Win2Lin Lynn

    Mark² Guest

    Win2Lin Lynn wrote:
    > Hello. I want to create a similar effect with one of *my own* photos,
    > as compared what was done to the photo of Elvis Presley in the
    > following image:
    >
    > http://i1.tinypic.com/rlwc9d.gif
    >
    > Any tips? Suggestions? What *not* to do?
    >
    > (I have Photoshop 7, Elements 3.0, and Gimp 2)

    Finger paints...
    Mark², Mar 18, 2006
  5. Win2Lin Lynn

    Win2Lin Lynn Guest

    "Skip M" <> wrote in

    > "Win2Lin Lynn" <> wrote in message
    >> Hello. I want to create a similar effect with one of *my own*
    >> photos, as compared what was done to the photo of Elvis Presley in
    >> the following image:
    >>
    >> http://i1.tinypic.com/rlwc9d.gif
    >>
    >> Any tips? Suggestions? What *not* to do?
    >>
    >> (I have Photoshop 7, Elements 3.0, and Gimp 2)
    >>
    >> Thanks!

    > Here's one I tried, in PShop7.
    > Image/Adjustments/Posterize/Desaturate/Contrast. Worked the contrast
    > until it looked like the image you posted. But you could have figured
    > that out, too, just by experimentation.

    Thanks. I tried those adjustments, and it worked out nicely. But how do I
    change the white section of the photo to the color of my choice?
    Win2Lin Lynn, Mar 18, 2006
  6. Win2Lin Lynn

    Dave Guest

    On Fri, 17 Mar 2006 19:01:35 -0800, "Mark²" <mjmorgan(lowest even
    number here)@cox..net> wrote:

    >Finger paints...

    more probably the lowest number here; even & uneven)

    Dave
    Dave, Mar 18, 2006
  7. Win2Lin Lynn

    Pat Guest

    You could always shoot film and make a Kodalith internegative. Ooops,
    wrong group for that idea. :)
    Pat, Mar 18, 2006
  8. In rec.photo.digital Win2Lin Lynn <> wrote:

    : Thanks. I tried those adjustments, and it worked out nicely. But how
    : do I change the white section of the photo to the color of my choice?

    Two choices. Use the hue function (I don't have my copy of elements in
    front of me so I am not sure of the correct menu name) to tint the entire
    image the apropriate color. The black will remain black, but the white
    would take on the color. Or you could use the paint bucket to drop the
    color into the white sections. It will spread to all the congruent
    (uninterrupted) areas of the same color as where you drop the paint. The
    unchanged areas will be the ones that are completely surrounded by the
    black areas. The text could be added in a seperate layer ontop of the
    background (be sure to designate a transparent background) and can then be
    colored seperately.

    There is a third choice but could be a bit tricky and require lots of
    manual fixing of errors. You could select all the white areas and cut them
    out. Then placing a colored background under the original would give you a
    colored background. The plus to this is you could have any kind of
    background, even a rainbow hued one. The down side is that any inaccuracy
    in trimming around the black lines would result in a white outline around
    the black parts that would remain ontop of the colored background. And
    trimming around any fine lines can be very finicky work.

    Randy

    ==========
    Randy Berbaum
    Champaign, IL
    Randy Berbaum, Mar 18, 2006
  9. Win2Lin Lynn

    Mark² Guest

    Dave wrote:
    > On Fri, 17 Mar 2006 19:01:35 -0800, "Mark²" <mjmorgan(lowest even
    > number here)@cox..net> wrote:
    >

    >> Finger paints...
    >>

    > more probably the lowest number here; even & uneven)

    You mean your humor IQ?
    Mark², Mar 18, 2006
  10. Win2Lin Lynn

    Guest

    Win2Lin Lynn wrote:

    > Thanks. I tried those adjustments, and it worked out nicely. But how do I
    > change the white section of the photo to the color of my choice?

    A couple of options (using Photoshop 6), roughly in order of increasing
    complexity:

    - Use the flood fill tool. Set the tolerance to 255 and the mode to
    Multiply. Whatever color you fill with will affect the entire image

    - Add a fill layer on top of the image (Layer -> New Fill Layer ->
    Solid Color). Change its blending mode to multiply. Alternately, you
    can put the fill layer below the image, and change the image's layer to
    multiply. Same effect either way.

    - Use a gradient map (Image -> Adjust -> Gradient Map). Use a solid
    gradient, smoothness 100%, with two control points, one at each
    extreme. Set the left-hand control point to black, and the right-hand
    control point to the color you want.

    - Make the image a duotone. In PS 6, you have to convert it to
    grayscale first (Image -> Mode -> Grayscale) then to duotone (Image ->
    Mode -> Duotone). In the Duotone dialog, make sure the type is set to
    Duotone. Change Ink 1 to Black, and Ink 2 to the color you want. Then
    adjust the curves so that Ink 1 is 0% at 0 and 100% at 100, and Ink 2
    is 100% at 0 and also 100% at 100.

    Have fun,
    - Darryl
    , Mar 18, 2006
  11. Win2Lin Lynn

    tacit Guest

    In article <Xns9789E250DB481win2linlynngmailcom@216.168.3.50>,
    Win2Lin Lynn <> wrote:

    > Thanks. I tried those adjustments, and it worked out nicely. But how do I
    > change the white section of the photo to the color of my choice?

    The other options given to you so far are needlessly complex and not
    terribly effective.

    The easiest way to do this is also the way that gives the cleanest
    results, and it's a simple 2-step process.

    Step 1: Put a layer beneath your picture that is filled with the color
    you want.

    Step 2: Set the blending mode on the layer with the picture to Multiply.

    --
    Art, photography, shareware, polyamory, literature, kink:
    all at http://www.xeromag.com/franklin.html
    tacit, Mar 18, 2006
  12. Win2Lin Lynn

    Guest

    Win2Lin Lynn wrote:

    > Hello. I want to create a similar effect with one of *my own* photos,
    > as compared what was done to the photo of Elvis Presley in the following
    > image:
    >
    > http://i1.tinypic.com/rlwc9d.gif
    >
    > Any tips? Suggestions? What *not* to do?
    >
    > (I have Photoshop 7, Elements 3.0, and Gimp 2)
    >
    > Thanks!

    I made a quick attempt with Irfanview and came up with passable
    results. Here's what I did -

    1. Convert to greyscale
    2. Decrease color depth (untick dithering option). Depending on the
    original photo and the desired results, reduce to 2, 3 or 4 colors.
    3. Enhance colors : adjust brightness, contrast, gamma and color
    balance. Again depending on the photo and the desired result, you may
    have to adjust all or only some of these.

    You may not even have to use a painting program to fill in the
    highlight area with the desired color.
    , Mar 18, 2006
  13. Win2Lin Lynn

    Paul Furman Guest

    wrote:

    > - Make the image a duotone. In PS 6, you have to convert it to
    > grayscale first (Image -> Mode -> Grayscale) then to duotone (Image ->
    > Mode -> Duotone). In the Duotone dialog, make sure the type is set to
    > Duotone. Change Ink 1 to Black, and Ink 2 to the color you want. Then
    > adjust the curves so that Ink 1 is 0% at 0 and 100% at 100, and Ink 2
    > is 100% at 0 and also 100% at 100.

    This one gets my vote.
    Paul Furman, Mar 18, 2006
  14. Win2Lin Lynn

    kctan Guest

    Go to Image Menu, under Adjustments>Desaturate to get gray tones. Go in to
    Adjustments again > Posterize... and key in 2 to get black and white tones.
    Add new layer, fill in the color you want with Multiple blending mode.

    kctan, Mar 18, 2006
  15. Win2Lin Lynn

    kctan Guest

    Another way without creating a new layer.

    Go to Image Menu, under Adjustments>Desaturate to get gray tones. Go into
    Adjustments again > Posterize... and key in level 2 to get black and white
    tones.
    Go to Edit Menu>Fill...and choose your choice of content -"Foreground
    color", Background color" or "Color..." with "Multiply" Blending mode.

    http://web.singnet.com.sg/~kcpps
    kctan, Mar 18, 2006