    clumsy edit-points. If I create an ISO file on my hard-disc, is there
    an editing program which can then deal with that? Just what is the best
    way to proceed?

    anthony, Oct 8, 2005

  2. anthony

    DVD Cases Guest

    "anthony" <> wrote in message news:...
    > Advice please.
    > I want to edit several of my own DVDs to extract musical numbers from
    > them ... to make a single compilation DVD of highlights for my own
    > use.These are for old, often very corny Hollywood musicals which just
    > happen to have totally brilliant sequences in them.
    > Is there a preferred program for this sort of editing? I've tried the
    > editing function on DVDShrink, but it seems to lack the option of
    > listening to the video you're trying to edit .. which makes for very
    > clumsy edit-points. If I create an ISO file on my hard-disc, is there
    > an editing program which can then deal with that? Just what is the best
    > way to proceed?

    I use Ulead Movie Factory
    not the best product available
    but for my purposes cheap (free!)
    and reasonably easy to use

    I haven't used it to edit from DVD
    (I have a TV card and mostly just
    use it to convert MPG to DVD until
    I get my Pioneer 686 DIVX player)
    but basically you start a project
    add DVD Video, set start and end frames
    (which you can see and listen to)
    then create output to HDD or DVD

    CD

    DVD Cases, Oct 8, 2005

  3. anthony

    Jeff Rife Guest

    anthony () wrote in alt.video.dvd:
    > I want to edit several of my own DVDs to extract musical numbers from
    > them ... to make a single compilation DVD of highlights for my own
    > use.These are for old, often very corny Hollywood musicals which just
    > happen to have totally brilliant sequences in them.
    > Is there a preferred program for this sort of editing?

    VideoReDo does an excellent job with just this sort of thing, although you
    need a DVD ripper (or other CSS decryption system) so it can read the
    disc.

    --
    Jeff Rife | "Eternity with nerds. It's the Pasadena Star

    Jeff Rife, Oct 8, 2005
  4. anthony

    P Pron Guest

    anthony wrote:
    || Advice please.
    || I want to edit several of my own DVDs to extract musical numbers from
    || them ... to make a single compilation DVD of highlights for my own
    || use.These are for old, often very corny Hollywood musicals which just
    || happen to have totally brilliant sequences in them.
    || Is there a preferred program for this sort of editing? I've tried the
    || editing function on DVDShrink, but it seems to lack the option of
    || listening to the video you're trying to edit .. which makes for very
    || clumsy edit-points. If I create an ISO file on my hard-disc, is there
    || an editing program which can then deal with that? Just what is the
    || best way to proceed?

    I've done something similar - I used DVDShrink to set very rough edit
    points, erring on the side of generosity, then TMPGenc DVD Author to take in
    the individual "virtual DVDs", and author them as a single DVD. When I did
    it, I didn't let 'Shrink compress any of the clips. The resulting
    compilation was then a little too big for a single layer disc, which I then
    Shrunk down before burning. I think this is probably the way to go - then
    you're only compressing each file once.

    I'm sure there are other ways of doing it, but I'm used to these two
    programs, and didn't particularly want to learn another one...

    paul

    P Pron, Oct 8, 2005
  5. anthony

    Guest

    On 7 Oct 2005 19:06:29 -0700, "anthony" <> wrote:

    > Advice please.
    > I want to edit several of my own DVDs to extract musical numbers from
    > them ... to make a single compilation DVD of highlights for my own
    > use.These are for old, often very corny Hollywood musicals which just
    > happen to have totally brilliant sequences in them.
    > Is there a preferred program for this sort of editing? I've tried the
    > editing function on DVDShrink, but it seems to lack the option of
    > listening to the video you're trying to edit .. which makes for very
    > clumsy edit-points. If I create an ISO file on my hard-disc, is there
    > an editing program which can then deal with that? Just what is the best
    > way to proceed?

    VirtualDub

    You can directly load the .VOB's into it and delete what you don't want.

    , Oct 8, 2005
  6. anthony

    GDS Guest

    GDS, Oct 8, 2005
  7. anthony

    Allan Guest

    videohelp.com

    On Sat, 8 Oct 2005 19:30:50 +0930, "GDS" <> wrote:

    >> Just what is the best
    >> way to proceed?
    >>

    >http://www.doom9.org/
    >
    >G.

    - Neil Stephenson, _Cryptonomicon_

    Allan, Oct 8, 2005
  8. anthony

    Fred At Home Guest

    "anthony" <> wrote in message
    > Advice please.
    > I want to edit several of my own DVDs to extract musical numbers from
    > them ... to make a single compilation DVD of highlights for my own
    > use.These are for old, often very corny Hollywood musicals which just
    > happen to have totally brilliant sequences in them.
    > Is there a preferred program for this sort of editing? I've tried the
    > editing function on DVDShrink, but it seems to lack the option of
    > listening to the video you're trying to edit .. which makes for very
    > clumsy edit-points. If I create an ISO file on my hard-disc, is there
    > an editing program which can then deal with that? Just what is the best
    > way to proceed?

    This is possible using various different methods (VideoReDo is probaly the
    best) but the audio tracks must be all the same. You cannot edit together
    Dolby Mono/Stereo/5.1 material into one stream.

    Fred At Home, Oct 8, 2005
  9. anthony

    Bill Guest

    Anthony

    DVD Audio Extractor should do what you want ... save to .wav file, then
    maybe encode to MP3 with LAME, or make regular audio CD with Nero 6.

    Bill.

    ---

    Bill, Oct 9, 2005