Editing digital images before printing

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Matti Haveri, Aug 8, 2003.

  1. Matti Haveri

    Matti Haveri Guest

    I've played a few months with my Olympus mju/stylus 300. I only have an
    ancient B&W DeskWriter so I have printed a few test images as glossy
    15x10cm (6x4") images at a shop with surprisingly good results. I'd like
    to do very basic editing to the images to get the best possible output
    from the shop. Some questions:

    - Just what type of printer do the shops use to print their glossy 6x4"
    images from digital cameras (and color negatives)? Is is some kind of a
    continuos tone printer so no halftoning is used?? What is the minimum
    acceptable resolution for a 6x4" print for those devices: 150 ppi, 300
    ppi?? Is there any benefit in bicubic upsampling of a severely cropped
    image (some guides suggest that scanned images suffer from upsampling
    but images from digital cameras may benefit from upsampling)?

    - With such a printer service, is it necessary to limit the output
    levels so that no shadows or (non-specular) highlights are at the very
    end of the tonal range, like is advised for halftoned images, to avoid
    paper-white whites, for example?

    - Is it necessary to sharpen images from a digital camera if they are
    printed in such a shop? The books seem to advocate much less sharpening
    than in halftone prints.

    - AFAIK the monitor must be calibrated using the printer's ICC profile
    but sadly many shops don't yet provide them. I guess gamma 2.2 would be
    OK for such shops but what about the white point: should it be 6500 or
    9300 or something else??

    thanks for any input,

    --
    Matti Haveri <> <http://www.sjoki.uta.fi/~shmhav/>