    Thank you to anyone that is kind enough to reply.

    Will

    , Aug 26, 2006

  2. John Barnes Guest

    Go to System Properties/Advanced/Startup and Recovery There you can
    select your default system without editing anything. You can make other
    changes and edit your boot.ini if you want to.

    John Barnes, Aug 26, 2006

  3. And not to worry. You can always get at it from the recovery console if you
    really screw it up. But John's right - use the built in tool if you're at
    all nervous. It limits what you can do, but it's fine for 90% of the things
    you'll want to change.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Aug 27, 2006
  4. wrote:
    > Having successfully set up dual boot (XP Pro & XP64) I'd now like to
    > edit the boot.ini file so that the first choice is XP64.
    >
    > I'm a bit nervous of making a mistake as, although in Win 98 I could
    > have dealt with a failure to boot because of a cock up in editing by
    > correcting it in DOS, I don't believe I can do it in XP64 because of
    > using NTFS. Therefore advice would be very much appreciated to help
    > to ensure I don't make a mistake that could cause me a lot of trouble.
    >
    > Thank you to anyone that is kind enough to reply.
    >
    > Will

    Either use a text editor, such as NotePad, to manually edit
    C:\Boot.ini to select a new default OS, or, from within either WinXP or
    WinXPx64, right-click My Computer > Properties > Advanced > Startup and
    Recovery, Settings > Default operating system.

    --

    Bruce Chambers

    Help us help you:
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    Bruce Chambers, Aug 27, 2006
  5. Guest

    Thank all of you who've replied. I followed John's advice. I'd used
    the Help menu to try to find something useful but need you chaps with
    lots of XP experience in the end.

    On Sat, 26 Aug 2006 15:14:41 -0700, "John Barnes" <>
    wrote:

    >Go to System Properties/Advanced/Startup and Recovery There you can
    >select your default system without editing anything. You can make other
    >changes and edit your boot.ini if you want to.
    >

    ><> wrote in message
    >> Having successfully set up dual boot (XP Pro & XP64) I'd now like to
    >> edit the boot.ini file so that the first choice is XP64.
    >>
    >> I'm a bit nervous of making a mistake as, although in Win 98 I could
    >> have dealt with a failure to boot because of a cock up in editing by
    >> correcting it in DOS, I don't believe I can do it in XP64 because of
    >> using NTFS. Therefore advice would be very much appreciated to help
    >> to ensure I don't make a mistake that could cause me a lot of trouble.
    >>
    >> Thank you to anyone that is kind enough to reply.
    >>
    >> Will

    , Aug 28, 2006