Edit Primary Gateway To Send Internet Traffic To Secondary Gateway

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by Frank, Sep 24, 2004.

  1. Frank

    Frank Guest

    Newbie question.

    I have a LAN with two gateways (Cisco 7200 and a no frills router). I
    will call the Cisco 7200 ROUTER1. The lesser know router will be
    known as ROUTER2.

    ROUTER1 is the primary gateway and passes traffic to leased lines to
    our data center. ROUTER2 is connected to the Internet.

    I want the clients in the LAN to use ROUTER1 as the primary gateway.
    That is already configured via my DHCP server. But web traffic should
    go to ROUTER2. I tried editing the routing tables of the clients but
    it only works for a short period of time.

    I think I need to edit the config of ROUTER1 to send internet traffic
    to ROUTER2.

    My question is: What statement do I need to place in the config?

    Regards.

    -F
    Frank, Sep 24, 2004

  2. Frank

    Scooby Guest

    "Frank" <> wrote in message
    > Newbie question.
    >
    > I have a LAN with two gateways (Cisco 7200 and a no frills router). I
    > will call the Cisco 7200 ROUTER1. The lesser know router will be
    > known as ROUTER2.
    >
    > ROUTER1 is the primary gateway and passes traffic to leased lines to
    > our data center. ROUTER2 is connected to the Internet.
    >
    > I want the clients in the LAN to use ROUTER1 as the primary gateway.
    > That is already configured via my DHCP server. But web traffic should
    > go to ROUTER2. I tried editing the routing tables of the clients but
    > it only works for a short period of time.
    >
    > I think I need to edit the config of ROUTER1 to send internet traffic
    > to ROUTER2.
    >
    > My question is: What statement do I need to place in the config?
    >
    > Regards.
    >
    > -F

    Depends on how you want this to work. If you put a static route on ROUTER1
    it will automatically send out an icmp redirect message to the clients as
    packets come in, and they will dynamically update their routing tables.
    However, if you'd prefer the packet to still come to ROUTER1 and ROUTER1
    forward to ROUTER2, then add the command 'no icmp redirect' to the
    interface.

    Jim
    Scooby, Sep 24, 2004

  3. Frank

    Frank Guest

    "Scooby" <> wrote in message news:<Kq05d.8916$>...
    > "Frank" <> wrote in message
    > > Newbie question.
    > >
    > > I have a LAN with two gateways (Cisco 7200 and a no frills router). I
    > > will call the Cisco 7200 ROUTER1. The lesser know router will be
    > > known as ROUTER2.
    > >
    > > ROUTER1 is the primary gateway and passes traffic to leased lines to
    > > our data center. ROUTER2 is connected to the Internet.
    > >
    > > I want the clients in the LAN to use ROUTER1 as the primary gateway.
    > > That is already configured via my DHCP server. But web traffic should
    > > go to ROUTER2. I tried editing the routing tables of the clients but
    > > it only works for a short period of time.
    > >
    > > I think I need to edit the config of ROUTER1 to send internet traffic
    > > to ROUTER2.
    > >
    > > My question is: What statement do I need to place in the config?
    > >
    > > Regards.
    > >
    > > -F

    > Depends on how you want this to work. If you put a static route on ROUTER1
    > it will automatically send out an icmp redirect message to the clients as
    > packets come in, and they will dynamically update their routing tables.
    > However, if you'd prefer the packet to still come to ROUTER1 and ROUTER1
    > forward to ROUTER2, then add the command 'no icmp redirect' to the
    > interface.
    >
    > Jim

    Jim,

    Thank you for your helpful suggestion.

    If I were to choose option 1, placing a static route on ROUTER1, can
    you recommend the syntax of that static route?
    - F
    Frank, Sep 26, 2004
  4. >
    > If I were to choose option 1, placing a static route on ROUTER1, can
    > you recommend the syntax of that static route?
    > - F

    ip route DEST_NET MASK NEXT_HOP

    for example:

    If you are in subnet 192.168.1.0 and want to reach
    subnet 192.168.0.0 via 192.168.1.1 type

    ip route 192.168.0.0 255.255.255.0 192.168.1.1

    Andre Wisniewski, Sep 30, 2004