    articles I have found say "You can't do that on XP home."

    Any suggestions?
    Thanks
    =?Utf-8?B?RHJldw==?=, Oct 6, 2005

  2. gpedit.msc is probably sitting in %windir%\SysWOW64, since I'm sure it's a
    32-bit mmc.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Oct 6, 2005

  3. Nope, it was in the system32 folder. I just now copied it from system32 into
    SysWOW64 and now I get something different...

    I get a screen that tels me what snap-ins from the console file I can see
    with either the 32 or 64 bit versions. I can also select either 32 or 64.

    I can select either one and I get the same result. "Failed to open the
    Group Policy Object. You maynot have appropriate rights. Details: The
    parameter is incorrect."
    I know it is not a rights issue.

    =?Utf-8?B?RHJldw==?=, Oct 6, 2005
  4. opens clean here. So something is amiss. I actually suspect a rights
    issue -- x64 Edition does appear to have some "issues" with authentication,
    especially on a mobile machine.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Oct 6, 2005
  5. I am the creator of the policies, so I wouldn't know what to change on them
    so I can edit them. Are there things that can be done to help with these
    "issues" with authentication?

    Thanks for any suggestions.

    =?Utf-8?B?RHJldw==?=, Oct 7, 2005
  6. Hello Drew,
    This has to do with 32bit and 64-bit snap-ins, 32-bit and 64-bit MMC.exe,
    and 32-bit and 64-bit hosted snap-ins.
    MMC can be 32-bit or 64-bit. MMC.exe
    Snap-ins can be 32-bit or 64-bit. *.msc
    A snap-in can host other snap-ins, take computer management for example, it
    hosts a number of different snap-ins.

    Try reading this article at least the section I cut and pasted below the
    link:
    304718 How to use the Administration Tools Pack to remotely administer
    http://support.microsoft.com/?id=304718

    Windows Server 2003 Administration Tools issues on x64-based versions of
    Windows Server 2003
    When you try to modify a Group Policy on an x64-based version of Windows
    Server 2003 from the Active Directory Users and Computers snap-in, the
    Active Directory Sites and Services snap-in, or the Group Policy Management
    Console snap-in, you receive the following error message:
    Windows cannot find 'gpedit.msc'. Make sure you typed the name correctly
    and then try again.
    To search for a file click the Start button and then click Search
    When you try to modify a GPO from any one of the snap-ins that is listed
    earlier, a call is made to start the Gpedit.msc file. Currently, the
    snap-ins that call the Gpedit.msc file are 32-bit tools. However, on
    x64-based versions of Windows Server 2003, Gpedit.msc is a 64-bit snap-in.
    This problem will be corrected in a future release of a 64-bit
    Adminpak.msi package. To work around this problem, use either of the
    following methods.Method oneModify the GPOs from a computer that is running
    a 32-bit version of Windows Server 2003, a 32-bit version of Windows XP,
    or a version of Windows 2000.Method twoUse the following commands to start
    the snap-ins, and then modify the GPOs:
    - To start the Active Directory Users and Computers snap-in:
    %windir%\syswow64\mmc.exe %windir%\system32\dsa.msc -32
    - To start the Active Directory Sites and Service snap-in:
    %windir%\syswow64\mmc.exe %windir%\system32\dssite.msc -32
    - To start the Group Policy Management Console snap-in:
    %windir%\syswow64\mmc.exe %windir%\system32\gpmc.msc -32

    Also may want to take a look at this article for the possible permissions
    issues with MMC under X64.
    895978 You cannot open the Active Directory Users and Computers MMC snap-in
    http://support.microsoft.com/?id=895978

    Just in case you ever wonder why sometimes you get prompted to open either
    a 32-bit MMC Snap-in or a 64-bit MMC Snap-in

    Thanks,
    Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

    --------------------
    <From: "=?Utf-8?B?RHJldw==?=" <>
    <Subject: Re: Edit group Policy
    <Date: Fri, 7 Oct 2005 13:01:01 -0700
    <Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.64bit.general
    <
    <"Charlie Russel - MVP" wrote:
    <
    <> opens clean here. So something is amiss. I actually suspect a rights
    <> issue -- x64 Edition does appear to have some "issues" with
    authentication,
    <> especially on a mobile machine.
    <>
    <> --
    <> Charlie.
    <> http://msmvps.com/xperts64
    <>
    <> Drew wrote:
    <> > Nope, it was in the system32 folder. I just now copied it from
    system32
    <> > into SysWOW64 and now I get something different...
    <> >
    <> >
    <> > I get a screen that tels me what snap-ins from the console file I can
    see
    <> > with either the 32 or 64 bit versions. I can also select either 32 or
    64.
    <> >
    <> > I can select either one and I get the same result. "Failed to open the
    <> > Group Policy Object. You maynot have appropriate rights. Details: The
    <> > parameter is incorrect."
    <> > I know it is not a rights issue.
    <> >
    <> >
    <> >
    <> >
    <> >
    <> >
    <> > "Charlie Russel - MVP" wrote:
    <> >
    <> >> gpedit.msc is probably sitting in %windir%\SysWOW64, since I'm sure
    it's
    <> >> a 32-bit mmc.
    <> >>
    <> >> --
    <> >> Charlie.
    <> >> http://msmvps.com/xperts64
    <> >>
    <> >> Drew wrote:
    <> >>> Ok, with some help I now have the adminpak.msi installed and it
    seems to
    <> >>> work fine. I installed the GPO Editor also and can see the group
    policy
    <> >>> managment tool.
    <> >>>
    Darrell Gorter[MSFT], Oct 8, 2005