Ed Wood: "Video Business" Story.

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by Scot Gardner, Feb 3, 2004.

  1. Scot Gardner

    Scot Gardner Guest

    Plan B for Buena Vista: Recall of ED WOOD.
    Retailers asked to return product that already had been shipped.
    By Jennifer Netherby 2/2/2004

    FEB. 2 | Buena Vista Home Entertainment has pulled the planned Feb. 3
    release of its DVD special edition of Ed Wood, leaving some retailers
    stuck with product to return and others wondering why the title was
    yanked so close to street date.

    "Distribution dates get changed all the time," a BVHE spokesman said,
    adding that the studio is looking for a better date to release the DVD.

    Trans World Entertainment's executive VP of merchandising, marketing and
    inventory management Fred Fox said he had been told the title was pulled
    because of a rights issue.

    Another source told VB that director Tim Burton was unhappy with the DVD
    extras. Burton's publicist could not be reached for comment by press
    time.

    Buena Vista said the DVD release is being postponed, not canceled, and
    that no changes are expected on the disc, which includes a commentary by
    Burton and actor Martin Landau, deleted scenes, behind-the-scenes
    footage hosted by actor Johnny Depp, a cross-dressing retrospective and
    a featurette.

    Musicland Stores and its Suncoast Motion Picture Company had begun
    taking preorders on the title and some had already received product,
    which they were told to return, a spokeswoman said. Trans World's FYE
    stores had also received the DVDs, said Fox.

    Buena Vista wasn't able to recall all copies. On eBay, sellers were
    advertising the DVDs as recalled and pricing them as high as $150.

    It's the second time the Ed Wood DVD has been delayed. It was first
    scheduled for release in late 2002.

    http://www.videobusiness.com/article.asp?articleID=6925&catType=NEWS

    Scot Gardner, Feb 3, 2004

  2. Scot Gardner

    Murder Guest

    "Scot Gardner" <> wrote in news:20040202233106.261
    $:

    > Plan B for Buena Vista: Recall of ED WOOD.
    > Retailers asked to return product that already had been shipped.
    > By Jennifer Netherby 2/2/2004

    Any one of us on this board could have written that exact same article!
    OTOH, it's nice to know there are some people out there who care... Now we
    just need a few hundred thousand people to take to the streets, overturn
    cars, blockade Disneyland, tar and feather Eisner. And not just because of
    Ed Wood, mind you. >:D

    Murder, Feb 3, 2004

  3. Scot Gardner

    Peter Briggs Guest

    Murder <> wrote:

    > tar and feather Eisner. And not just because of
    > Ed Wood, mind you. >:D

    I hear you. Eisner's shelf expiry date has long come-and-gone. Disney
    are starting to turn into a sucking void of mediocrity.

    Curious as to who's going to pick up Pixar, now...

    Peter Briggs, Feb 3, 2004
  4. Scot Gardner

    Bill Coleman Guest

    It's interesting that NY1, the local NYC Time Warner cable
    news channel, had a review of the ED Wood DVD yesterday
    as part of the week's new DVD's. There was no mention of
    any postponement.

    Bill Coleman

    -------------------------

    Bill Coleman, Feb 3, 2004
  5. Scot Gardner

    DAM Guest

    Peter Briggs wrote:

    > Murder <> wrote:
    >

    >>tar and feather Eisner. And not just because of
    >>Ed Wood, mind you. >:D
    >>

    > I hear you. Eisner's shelf expiry date has long come-and-gone. Disney
    > are starting to turn into a sucking void of mediocrity.

    Started?!!!
    dam

    DAM, Feb 3, 2004
  6. >Curious as to who's going to pick up Pixar, now...

    New Line. <g> Just you wait.

    Stroke of Eight, Feb 3, 2004
  7. Scot Gardner

    Peter Briggs Guest

    Stroke of Eight <> wrote:

    > >Curious as to who's going to pick up Pixar, now...

    > New Line. <g> Just you wait.

    Well, they've certainly got a couple of bucks to spend, that's for sure.

    I'm very, very curious to see who'll get the winning bid...

    Peter Briggs, Feb 4, 2004