    free2002 Guest

    how much would the above be going for on ebay?

    ---
    free2002, Oct 17, 2003

  2. free2002

    karlpov Guest

    Doesn't much matter. It never came out. It was announced to come out
    two or three years ago, but failed to show, as happens occasionally in
    the DVD world, usually without a clear explanation. Amazon's site
    pretends it's temporarily unavailable rather than nonexistent, as they
    also do with a less well-known cancelled disc, Caesar and Cleopatra.

    karlpov, Oct 18, 2003

  3. free2002

    Carniv4 Guest

    "karlpov" <> wrote in message
    > Doesn't much matter. It never came out. It was announced to come out
    > two or three years ago, but failed to show, as happens occasionally in
    > the DVD world, usually without a clear explanation. Amazon's site
    > pretends it's temporarily unavailable rather than nonexistent, as they
    > also do with a less well-known cancelled disc, Caesar and Cleopatra.

    Actually, some discs leaked out and were snatched up by some lucky suckers
    before the cancellation. Don't know how much it goes for on ebay - I've
    never seen one on there although I heard they used to go for quite a lot
    right after it was canceled. Continuous rumors of a real release may have
    squashed some of it's value since.
    Carniv4, Oct 18, 2003
  4. free2002

    karlpov Guest

    I wasn't aware of that. I did get an instant rarity under similar
    circumstances, the released-for-a-nanosecond Duel with Dennis Weaver.
    karlpov, Oct 18, 2003
  5. On Fri, 17 Oct 2003 22:58:01 -0400, karlpov
    <> wrote:

    >I wasn't aware of that. I did get an instant rarity under similar
    >circumstances, the released-for-a-nanosecond Duel with Dennis Weaver.

    "Duel" SE is actually a lot more common than Ed Wood or especially
    Barbary Coast, of which a few discs were sold in Canada only. I've
    read that Ed Wood is definitely coming out in 200.

    .. Steve .
    Steve(JazzHunter), Oct 18, 2003
  6. free2002

    CLOSEDOWN8 Guest

    >I wasn't aware of that. I did get an instant rarity under similar
    >circumstances, the released-for-a-nanosecond Duel with Dennis Weaver.

    I believe the "Ed Wood" case was much more isolated. Some podunk UK supplier
    of R1 discs sent a few to customers in the case of "Ed Wood", whereas
    Amazon.com filled pretty much every preorder placed before the cancelation of
    "Duel" and several placed after the fact. If I had to guess, I'd say that the
    "Duel" DVD is still several hundred times more common than the "Ed Wood" one.
    The rarity of both titles is somewhat ridiculous, in any case. "Duel" was
    canceled simply because Spielberg didn't approve it before it was released.
    Since there's nothing wrong with the disc, it's only a matter of time before
    it's approved and released as is. Scott Alexander and Larry Karaszewski,
    writers of "Ed Wood" (plus "Man on the Moon" and "The People vs. Larry Flynt",
    they also served as producers on "Auto Focus") recently revealed that "Ed Wood"
    is set for a R1 release on March 25th, so that disc will soon only appeal to
    the hardest of die-hard collectors.
    --------------------------------
    "That's the worst reverse-acting I've ever seen!" -Sam Raimi
    CLOSEDOWN8, Oct 18, 2003
  7. karlpov wrote:

    > Doesn't much matter. It never came out. It was announced to come out
    > two or three years ago, but failed to show, as happens occasionally in
    > the DVD world, usually without a clear explanation. Amazon's site
    > pretends it's temporarily unavailable rather than nonexistent, as they
    > also do with a less well-known cancelled disc, Caesar and Cleopatra.

    A few R1 copies snuck out before it was recalled. I wouldn't pay much
    for it though; the exact same DVD is widely available in R2 and R4 and a
    Korean NTSC version is out in R3. It is also scheduled for release in
    R1 in 2004.
    Tallulah Blanket, Oct 18, 2003