ED WOOD: Limited Distribution?

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by Scot Gardner, Feb 6, 2004.

  1. Scot Gardner

    Scot Gardner Guest

    "Rare"?

    "Hard to find"?

    "Pulled from shelves"?

    "Not available in stores"?

    I'm beginning to wonder just how "rare" and "hard to find" the recently
    "un-released" _Ed Wood_ actually is.

    Currently, there are over 300 of these recalled DVDs for sale on eBay.
    The 7 pages of _Ed Wood_ DVDs start with the those that have the
    shortest time remaining. It appears that the highest bids are
    around $60-$70. (One just sold for $68 at 8:20AM and another one
    sold for $60.00 at 8:25AM.

    Has anyone on this newsgroup purchased an _Ed Wood_ DVD on eBay?

    If so, what was the price?

    http://search.ebay.com/search/searc...redirect=1&sosortproperty=1&sorecordstoskip=0
    Scot Gardner, Feb 6, 2004

  2. Scot Gardner

    BP Guest

    "Scot Gardner" <> wrote in

    > "Rare"?
    >
    > "Hard to find"?
    >
    > "Pulled from shelves"?
    >
    > "Not available in stores"?
    >
    > I'm beginning to wonder just how "rare" and "hard to find" the
    > recently "un-released" _Ed Wood_ actually is.
    >
    > Currently, there are over 300 of these recalled DVDs for sale on eBay.
    > The 7 pages of _Ed Wood_ DVDs start with the those that have the
    > shortest time remaining. It appears that the highest bids are
    > around $60-$70. (One just sold for $68 at 8:20AM and another one
    > sold for $60.00 at 8:25AM.
    >
    > Has anyone on this newsgroup purchased an _Ed Wood_ DVD on eBay?
    >
    > If so, what was the price?
    >
    > http://search.ebay.com/search/search.dll?GetResult&from=R8&ht=1&satitle
    > =ed+wood+%2b+dvd&sokeywordredirect=1&sosortproperty=1&sorecordstoskip=0

    Yikes! I think I'll wait.. (till the twelth of never?)
    BP, Feb 6, 2004

  3. Scot Gardner

    Rutgar Guest

    On Fri, 6 Feb 2004 08:30:22 -0800, "Scot Gardner" <>
    wrote:

    >"Rare"?
    >
    >"Hard to find"?
    >
    >"Pulled from shelves"?
    >
    >"Not available in stores"?
    >
    >I'm beginning to wonder just how "rare" and "hard to find" the recently
    >"un-released" _Ed Wood_ actually is.
    >
    >Currently, there are over 300 of these recalled DVDs for sale on eBay.
    >The 7 pages of _Ed Wood_ DVDs start with the those that have the
    >shortest time remaining. It appears that the highest bids are
    >around $60-$70. (One just sold for $68 at 8:20AM and another one
    >sold for $60.00 at 8:25AM.
    >
    >Has anyone on this newsgroup purchased an _Ed Wood_ DVD on eBay?
    >
    >If so, what was the price?
    >
    >http://search.ebay.com/search/searc...redirect=1&sosortproperty=1&sorecordstoskip=0

    I have one word for anyone who buys this movie at an inflated price:

    SUCKER!

    - Rutgar
    Rutgar, Feb 6, 2004
  4. Scot Gardner

    zebradog Guest

    Yes, I'll admit it. I bought one on ebay for $50.00 Post paid and I'm glad I
    did. I went to All the Borders, Blockbusters and other misc video stores
    during the last week that I could think of and came up empty handed.

    The last time this movie was 'postponed' as in the SUMMER OF 2002!!! Now
    it's 'postpned' again. It could be released in 1 month, 6 months, 2 YEARS.
    I want to see the God Damned movie on DVD!! I want to here the commentary
    and see the deleted scenes and all the other extras.

    IF it's EVER released, it may be in a modified form from this release, so
    for all of you that care, this could be a special issue. For those of you
    who think I'm a sucker, you would probably be satisfied watching a made for
    TV edited and reformated version. I'm NOT and I'm tied of waiting.

    My $50 was WELL SPENT and I had a VERY ENTERTAINING Friday watching it.
    Isn't that what it's about?

    Zebradog

    zebradog, Feb 8, 2004
  5. Scot Gardner

    Scot Gardner Guest

    "zebradog" <> wrote in message

[...]

    Actually, what with driving around and burning up gas, not to mention
    parking fees, you probably paid less than most people who were finally
    able to find _Ed Wood_ in a store.

    I paid 29.99 plus $2.47 sales tax, for a total of $32.46. You only paid
    $17.54 more than I did and I still think you got a hell of a bargain.
    And you're right -- Disney may never "release" _Ed Wood_ again.

    I don't regret for a minute paying retail for this classic. I have
    enjoyed watching the movie, then the movie with the informative
    commentary, the 6 deleted scenes*** (I know, there are only 5 in the
    menu -- see note below) and now, I'm going to watch the movie all over
    again.

    *** See my post:

    ED WOOD: Easter Egg & Possible Reason for Recall.

    Dated Sunday, February 08, 2004 3:04 PM

    for directions on how to access the 6th deleted scene. It's a good one!

    This 6th scene adds 1m 50s to the other 7m 49s for a total of 9m 39s.
    That's like getting 8% more _Ed Wood_ for free! The 127 minute movie now
    becomes a 137 minute movie, which at $50 come out to only 36.5¢ per
    minute. Now that's a real value!
    Scot Gardner, Feb 8, 2004
  6. Scot Gardner

    Rutgar Guest

    On Sun, 8 Feb 2004 15:28:37 -0800, "Scot Gardner" <>
    wrote:

    >"zebradog" <> wrote in message
    >
    ><<Yes, I'll admit it. I bought one on ebay for $50.00 Post paid and I'm
    >glad I did. I went to All the Borders, Blockbusters and other misc
    >video stores during the last week that I could think of and came up
    >empty handed.>>
    >
    ><<The last time this movie was 'postponed' as in the SUMMER OF 2002!!!
    >Now it's 'postpned' again. It could be released in 1 month, 6 months, 2
    >YEARS. I want to see the God Damned movie on DVD!! I want to here the
    >commentary and see the deleted scenes and all the other extras.>>
    >
    ><<IF it's EVER released, it may be in a modified form from this release,
    >so for all of you that care, this could be a special issue. For those
    >of you who think I'm a sucker, you would probably be satisfied watching
    >a made for TV edited and reformated version. I'm NOT and I'm tied of
    >waiting.>>
    >
    ><<My $50 was WELL SPENT and I had a VERY ENTERTAINING Friday watching
    >it. Isn't that what it's about? Zebradog>>
    >

    >Actually, what with driving around and burning up gas, not to mention
    >parking fees, you probably paid less than most people who were finally
    >able to find _Ed Wood_ in a store.
    >
    >I paid 29.99 plus $2.47 sales tax, for a total of $32.46. You only paid
    >$17.54 more than I did and I still think you got a hell of a bargain.
    >And you're right -- Disney may never "release" _Ed Wood_ again.
    >
    >I don't regret for a minute paying retail for this classic. I have
    >enjoyed watching the movie, then the movie with the informative
    >commentary, the 6 deleted scenes*** (I know, there are only 5 in the
    >menu -- see note below) and now, I'm going to watch the movie all over
    >again.
    >
    >*** See my post:
    >
    >ED WOOD: Easter Egg & Possible Reason for Recall.
    >
    >Dated Sunday, February 08, 2004 3:04 PM
    >
    >for directions on how to access the 6th deleted scene. It's a good one!
    >
    >This 6th scene adds 1m 50s to the other 7m 49s for a total of 9m 39s.
    >That's like getting 8% more _Ed Wood_ for free! The 127 minute movie now
    >becomes a 137 minute movie, which at $50 come out to only 36.5¢ per
    >minute. Now that's a real value!

    The real amazing thing is that all of you people don't know you're
    being had.

    - Rutgar
    Rutgar, Feb 9, 2004
  7. Scot Gardner

    Bill Guest

    > IF it's EVER released, it may be in a modified form from this release, so
    > for all of you that care, this could be a special issue. For those of you
    > who think I'm a sucker, you would probably be satisfied watching a made

    for
    > TV edited and reformated version. I'm NOT and I'm tied of waiting.
    >
    > My $50 was WELL SPENT and I had a VERY ENTERTAINING Friday watching it.
    > Isn't that what it's about?
    >
    > Zebradog

    I spent $40.00, around 1982, for a horrible looking fullscreen copy of Star
    Wars, on the now-deceased RCA CED videodisc format. No extras, ticks/pops in
    audio abounded, and as the stylus tracked towards the center of the disc,
    horizontal wavering of the onscreen image was more and more apparent. In
    spite of the above, the price was actually a bargain at the time--Beta/VHS
    copies were selling for closer to $79.95.

    You just spent $50.00 for a broadcast quality copy of an excellent
    movie--and a collectible copy at that. It may be above retail, but I still
    think you got a decent deal.
    Bill, Feb 9, 2004
  8. Scot Gardner

    Rutgar Guest

    On Mon, 09 Feb 2004 00:42:08 GMT, "Bill" <> wrote:

    >> IF it's EVER released, it may be in a modified form from this release, so
    >> for all of you that care, this could be a special issue. For those of you
    >> who think I'm a sucker, you would probably be satisfied watching a made

    >for
    >> TV edited and reformated version. I'm NOT and I'm tied of waiting.
    >>
    >> My $50 was WELL SPENT and I had a VERY ENTERTAINING Friday watching it.
    >> Isn't that what it's about?
    >>
    >> Zebradog
    >>

    >I spent $40.00, around 1982, for a horrible looking fullscreen copy of Star
    >Wars, on the now-deceased RCA CED videodisc format. No extras, ticks/pops in
    >audio abounded, and as the stylus tracked towards the center of the disc,
    >horizontal wavering of the onscreen image was more and more apparent. In
    >spite of the above, the price was actually a bargain at the time--Beta/VHS
    >copies were selling for closer to $79.95.
    >
    >You just spent $50.00 for a broadcast quality copy of an excellent
    >movie--and a collectible copy at that. It may be above retail, but I still
    >think you got a decent deal.

    It's not decent deal if you can buy it a month later for under $20.00.
    Moreover, Ed Wood is NOT Star Wars.

    - Rutgar
    Rutgar, Feb 9, 2004
  9. Scot Gardner

    Richard C. Guest

    "Rutgar" <> wrote in message
    :
    : The real amazing thing is that all of you people don't know you're
    : being had.
    :
    : - Rutgar

    ==================
    Jealous because you didn't get one?
    Richard C., Feb 9, 2004
  10. Scot Gardner

    Rutgar Guest

    On Sun, 8 Feb 2004 17:40:50 -0800, "Richard C."
    <> wrote:

    >"Rutgar" <> wrote in message
    >:
    >: The real amazing thing is that all of you people don't know you're
    >: being had.
    >:
    >: - Rutgar
    >
    >==================
    >Jealous because you didn't get one?

    No. It's just that I think it's funny that there's this "Cabbage
    Patch/Tickle Me Elmo" hysteria about this DVD. It reminds me of a
    couple of years ago that people were acting the same way about the
    first "Scarface" DVD. They were paying big bucks on E-Bay for copies.
    And now with the new Special Edition available, those same people are
    stuck with worthless, DVD's that have a horrible video transfer. Ed
    Wood will eventually be officially released, and at a decent price.
    Maybe as soon as April.

    - Rutgar
    Rutgar, Feb 9, 2004
  11. Scot Gardner

    JimReid56 Guest

    >Moreover, Ed Wood is NOT Star Wars.

    True. It's a much better film.
    JimReid56, Feb 9, 2004
  12. Scot Gardner

    zebradog Guest

    April of WHAT year is the question.

    Zebradog

    zebradog, Feb 9, 2004
  13. Scot Gardner

    Bill Guest

    > It's not decent deal if you can buy it a month later for under $20.00.
    > Moreover, Ed Wood is NOT Star Wars.
    >
    > - Rutgar

    You're right--Ed Wood is a ***better*** film than Star Wars. And who's to
    say that the movie will be $20.00 one month from now?

    If anything, I have a feeling that the R1 version will increase in
    value...and I'd be surprised if it's re-released anytime soon after this
    fiasco. It took several years for "Little Shop of Horrors" to be re-authored
    and re-released after its abrupt recall.
    Bill, Feb 9, 2004
  14. Scot Gardner

    Bobcancel Guest

    To all those who didn't get a copy of this movie,
    I managed to get a copy of Ed Wood last Tuesday. But, I don't consider myself
    special because I succeeded in buying something. That's stupid. Look, folks,
    this movie WILL be released eventually with plenty of extras. What does bother
    me is that I paid $19.99 for this movie -- I haven't paid 20 dollars for a
    movie in years. Price drops after a couple of months are common and I always
    wait for a movie to go down before I buy it. I just hope I didn't pay too much
    for the damn thing. All you people who didn't get a copy of this movie can
    take heart -- you will be able to buy this movie at a cheaper cost then the
    small number of jackassess who trumpet their bragging rights. The release you
    folks buy will be subject to market forces and price drops. In fact I'm
    considering taking the damn thing back to Best Buy as soon as I hear why it was
    recalled in the first place. The copy sits on my shelf unopened. It's
    waiting. . . . . and waiting. . . . . . and waiting
    Ken
    Dallas
    Bobcancel, Feb 9, 2004
  15. Scot Gardner

    Richard C. Guest

    "Rutgar" <> wrote in message
    : On Sun, 8 Feb 2004 17:40:50 -0800, "Richard C."
    : <> wrote:
    :
    : >
    : >"Rutgar" <> wrote in message
    : >news:...
    : >:
    : >: The real amazing thing is that all of you people don't know you're
    : >: being had.
    : >:
    : >: - Rutgar
    : >
    : >==================
    : >Jealous because you didn't get one?
    : >
    :
    : No. It's just that I think it's funny that there's this "Cabbage
    : Patch/Tickle Me Elmo" hysteria about this DVD. It reminds me of a
    : couple of years ago that people were acting the same way about the
    : first "Scarface" DVD. They were paying big bucks on E-Bay for copies.
    : And now with the new Special Edition available, those same people are
    : stuck with worthless, DVD's that have a horrible video transfer. Ed
    : Wood will eventually be officially released, and at a decent price.
    : Maybe as soon as April.
    :
    : - Rutgar

    On my part, it is not "hysteria".
    I merely decided I would have one.
    I went to 7 stores before I found the one copy at BlockBuster.
    I did the same thing with "Duel" and with "Swamp Thing".
    I am very glad I have them...............

    No one knows if the new release will be identical................
    Richard C., Feb 9, 2004