Ed Wood: Did it come out today?

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by One-Shot Scot, Oct 20, 2004.

  1. I didn't see it at Costco or Wal-Mart.

    Anybody get the censored version today?

    Does it have this Easter Egg:

    In a 2-minute scene, Ed Wood (in his angora sweater) and Bela Lugosi are
    sitting in Wood's office (with posters of _Citizen Kane_ and _Dracula_
    on the wall). They decide that the only part that will make Lugosi a big
    hit is Dracula, but unfortunately, Universal controls all of the rights
    to Dracula.

    From the Main Menu, go to Bonus Material.

    Highlight the Right Arrow at the bottom of the screen and press Enter to
    go to the second page.

    Highlight "Deleted Scenes."

    Press Enter.

    Highlight "Que Sera Sera."

    Press the right arrow key on your remote twice and the lightning bolt on
    the upper right side of the screen will light up.

    Press enter to watch the Easter Egg.
    One-Shot Scot, Oct 20, 2004

  2. One-Shot Scot

    TB Guest

    "One-Shot Scot" wrote:

    > I didn't see it at Costco or Wal-Mart.
    >
    > Anybody get the censored version today?

    It's out. I saw dozens of copies on display at DVD Planet in Huntington
    Beach, CA today.

    > Does it have this Easter Egg:

    Don't know. I have the dvd that came out in very limited quantities last
    year.

    T.B.
    TB, Oct 20, 2004

  3. One-Shot Scot wrote:
    > Anybody get the censored version today?

    "Censored"? What, exactly, is supposed to have been "censored" on the new
    disc?

    > Does it have this Easter Egg:

    Yes, it does. Complete with "those bastards at Universal" and
    "sons-of-bitches" references.

    doug

    --
    "I can't see the lines I used to think I could read between..."
    --Brian Eno
    Douglas Bailey, Oct 20, 2004
  4. One-Shot Scot

    jayembee Guest

    "One-Shot Scot" <> wrote:

    > I didn't see it at Costco or Wal-Mart.

    I saw it at Best Buy today.

    > Anybody get the censored version today?

    Didn't buy it. I'm not a fan of Tim Burton.

    -- jayembee
    jayembee, Oct 20, 2004
  5. Nothing in the movie, a special feature about cross dressing was
    deleted. It was something I could easily do without.

    Best,
    mike

    Michael Rogers, Oct 20, 2004
  6. "Douglas Bailey" <> wrote in message
    > One-Shot Scot wrote:
    > > Anybody get the censored version today?

    > "Censored"? What, exactly, is supposed to have been "censored" on the
    > new disc?

    Sorry for the confusion. Only the special features were changed --
    I think.

    Please look in the special features and see if the new _Ed Wood_ DVD has
    the 9min 25sec featurette entitled, "When Carol Met Larry." This
    featurette was on the 2nd non-release.
    One-Shot Scot, Oct 20, 2004
  7. "jayembee" <> wrote in message
    > "One-Shot Scot" <> wrote:
    >
    > > I didn't see it at Costco or Wal-Mart.

    > I saw it at Best Buy today.
    >
    > > Anybody get the censored version today?

    > Didn't buy it. I'm not a fan of Tim Burton.
    >
    > -- jayembee

    And I was beginning to think that _Ed Wood_ would NEVER make it to
    Region 1 DVD.

    This title is the last of the major Buena Vista DIVX-exclusive titles to
    finally come out on DVD in Region 1.

    Some other Buena Vista DIVX-exclusive titles which took a long time to
    get a Region 1 release:

    Jackie Brown

    Edward Scissorhands

    Alice in Wonderland
    One-Shot Scot, Oct 20, 2004
  8. Re: Correction: Ed Wood: Did it come out today?

    "One-Shot Scot" <> wrote in message
    > Some other Buena Vista DIVX-exclusive titles which took a long time to
    > get a Region 1 release:
    >
    > Jackie Brown
    >
    > Edward Scissorhands
    >
    > Alice in Wonderland

    _Edward Scissorhands_ was actually a Fox DIVX-exclusive title.
    One-Shot Scot, Oct 20, 2004
  9. One-Shot Scot

    Jeffy3 Guest

    jayembee <> wrote in message \\\\

    .. I'm not a fan of Tim Burton.

    Who told you that?
    Jeffy3, Oct 20, 2004
  10. One-Shot Scot wrote:
    > Douglas Bailey wrote:

    >> What, exactly, is supposed to have been "censored" on the new disc?

    > [...] Please look in the special features and see if the new _Ed Wood_
    > DVD has the 9min 25sec featurette entitled, "When Carol Met Larry." This
    > featurette was on the 2nd non-release.

    No, it's not there on the new disc. Is it a great loss?

    doug

    Douglas Bailey, Oct 20, 2004
  11. jayembee wrote:
    > "One-Shot Scot" <> wrote:

    >> Anybody get the censored version today?

    > Didn't buy it. I'm not a fan of Tim Burton.

    I'm not much of a Burton fan either, in general. But I liked _Ed Wood_ and
    _Edward Scissorhands_ - and the short films on the _Nightmare Before
    Christmas_ disc, come to think of it - enough to want them.

    doug

    --
    "And the chorus goes, and the chorus goes, b-b-b-b-b-bang..."
    --Wire
    Douglas Bailey, Oct 20, 2004
  12. "Douglas Bailey" <> wrote in message
    > One-Shot Scot wrote:
    > > Douglas Bailey wrote:

    > >> What, exactly, is supposed to have been "censored" on the new disc?

    > > [...] Please look in the special features and see if the new _Ed
    > > Wood_ DVD has the 9min 25sec featurette entitled, "When Carol
    > > Met Larry." This featurette was on the 2nd non-release.

    > No, it's not there on the new disc. Is it a great loss?
    >
    > doug

    "When Carol Met Larry is a look at the cross-dressing world. It
    discusses the possible motivations for doing it, as well as the impact
    it might have on loved ones that discover this. It's a decent feature,
    and promotes tolerance, and within the context of the film, is a pretty
    unique inclusion." "... places such as eBay have had some copies (of the
    recalled DVD) go for over $200 at times."

    http://www.dvdork.com/publish/printer_rbk_edwood.shtml

    Apparently, Tim Burton objected to this piece and this was the reason
    for the recall of the 2nd non-release. However, if this is the ONLY
    difference between the recalled edition and the current edition, the
    recalled disc will not be a valuable collectors item. Three weeks ago
    I had my extra, factory-sealed recalled _Ed Wood_ appraised at two
    DVD stores.

    Here are the cash offers:

    Store 1: $4.00

    Store 2: $6.00

    Considering that I paid $30 for this disc, it is totally worthless as a
    collectible.
    One-Shot Scot, Oct 20, 2004
  13. One-Shot Scot

    Mike Kohary Guest

    One-Shot Scot wrote:
    > Three weeks ago
    > I had my extra, factory-sealed recalled _Ed Wood_ appraised at two
    > DVD stores.
    >
    > Here are the cash offers:
    >
    > Store 1: $4.00
    >
    > Store 2: $6.00
    >
    > Considering that I paid $30 for this disc, it is totally worthless as
    > a collectible.

    Don't appraise it at shops; appraise it at Ebay. It's worth whatever you
    can get for it, and I believe on Ebay you can get something like $200 for
    it. That may change, of course, if people in general decide it isn't worth
    it.

    Mike Kohary, Oct 20, 2004
  14. "Mike Kohary" <> wrote in message
    One-Shot Scot wrote:
    > Three weeks ago
    > I had my extra, factory-sealed recalled _Ed Wood_ appraised at two
    > DVD stores.
    >
    > Here are the cash offers:
    >
    > Store 1: $4.00
    >
    > Store 2: $6.00
    >
    > Considering that I paid $30 for this disc, it is totally worthless as
    > a collectible.

    <<Don't appraise it at shops; appraise it at Ebay. It's worth whatever
    you can get for it, and I believe on Ebay you can get something like
    $200 for it. That may change, of course, if people in general decide it
    isn't worth it.>>

    This may have been true back in February. However, I think that the
    recalled _Ed Wood_ has dropped in value the same way that the recalled
    _Little Shop Of Horrors_ did after the new version was released.

    In the case of both movies, most of their value as collector's items was
    ballooned up because the titles were out of print. Now, neither title is
    out of print and anyone who is interested only in THE MOVIE will be able
    to own a copy.

    I don't think that many people will pay extra to see "When Carol Met
    Larry" on the recalled _Ed Wood_.

    Here's a recalled _Little Shop Of Horrors_ that currently has 6-bids:

    US $16.49 Oct-19-04 05:51:31 PDT

    howardteeth ( 1 ) US $16.49 Oct-19-04 05:51:31 PDT
    sailorsuzaku ( 22) US $15.99 Oct-19-04 00:48:03 PDT
    howardteeth ( 1 ) US $15.00 Oct-19-04 05:51:15 PDT
    howardteeth ( 1 ) US $10.00 Oct-19-04 05:51:01 PDT
    froggy6965 ( 4 ) US $7.50 Oct-17-04 16:11:43 PDT
    zcasez ( 257) US $6.00 Oct-17-04 20:20:16 PDT

    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=617&item=6332538968&rd=1

    The recalled _Ed Wood_ isn't doing much better. People just don't seem
    to be interested in bidding on the $60 and $65 "Buy It Now" listings,
    which have been posted for 3 and 4 days.

    http://search.ebay.com/ed-wood-dvd_...tionZcompareQQcopagenumZ1QQcoentrypageZsearch
    One-Shot Scot, Oct 20, 2004
  15. One-Shot Scot

    Jax Guest

    > And I was beginning to think that _Ed Wood_ would NEVER make it to
    > Region 1 DVD.
    >
    > This title is the last of the major Buena Vista DIVX-exclusive titles to
    > finally come out on DVD in Region 1.

    Ok, but wasn't the original release(that I bought earlier this year)also
    region 1?
    I had been wondering what the difference was between the two but from this
    thread I'm guessing some featurettes were dropped.

    BsT
    Jax, Oct 21, 2004
  16. "Jax" <> wrote in message news:...

    > "One-Shot Scot" <> wrote in message
    >

    > > And I was beginning to think that _Ed Wood_ would NEVER make
    > > it to Region 1 DVD.
    > >
    > > This title is the last of the major Buena Vista DIVX-exclusive titles
    > > to finally come out on DVD in Region 1.
    > >

    > Ok, but wasn't the original release(that I bought earlier this year)
    > also region 1?
    > I had been wondering what the difference was between the two but from
    > this thread I'm guessing some featurettes were dropped.
    >
    > BsT

    The DVD which was sort of released in February was recalled at the last minute. None of those copies was supposed to have been sold.

    The featurette, "When Carol Met Larry" is on the recalled _Ed Wood_ DVD, but it is missing from the DVD released last Tuesday.
    One-Shot Scot, Oct 21, 2004
  17. >Nothing in the movie, a special feature about cross dressing was
    >deleted. It was something I could easily do without.
    >
    >Best,
    >mike

    Is it because you have all the best cross dressing tips already committed to
    memory?
    Rupert Pupkin, Oct 21, 2004