Ed Wood Cover

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by Murder, Jan 26, 2004.

  1. Murder

    Murder Guest

    Digital Bits has an update about the last minute jerk-off (for lack of a
    more appropriate term) of the much anticipated title, and apparantly some
    copies once again found their way to the back rooms of certain retailers,
    who will be expected to return them. However, there is little doubt that
    some will leak out to ebay, as happened last time the release was pulled.

    After looking at the cover on Amazon, I have to wonder if they didn't think
    better of releasing it with that cover. It really looks weak; a cover only
    a fan could tolerate. An official explaination of the delay is pending.

    http://www.digitalbits.com/#eddelay

    --
    "Music soothes the savage beast, they say, but no matter how loud I sang
    that horse would not stop brutally raping me."

    Murder, Jan 26, 2004

  2. Murder <> wrote:

    | After looking at the cover on Amazon, I have to wonder if they didn't think
    | better of releasing it with that cover. It really looks weak; a cover only
    | a fan could tolerate.

    I don't really see what's so bad about that cover design. It's basically
    the UK poster art with pictures of three of the cast members added at
    the bottom. It's exactly the same as the cover on the UK DVD of the
    film, by the way.

    --
    Geir Friestad || || www.portman.org
    "My readers are intelligent: I don't write for stupid people."

    Geir Friestad, Jan 26, 2004

  3. Murder

    Murder Guest

    Geir Friestad <> wrote in

    > Murder <> wrote:
    >|
    >| After looking at the cover on Amazon, I have to wonder if they didn't
    >| think better of releasing it with that cover. It really looks weak;
    >| a cover only a fan could tolerate.
    >
    > I don't really see what's so bad about that cover design. It's
    > basically the UK poster art with pictures of three of the cast members
    > added at the bottom. It's exactly the same as the cover on the UK DVD
    > of the film, by the way.

    Oh, well maybe it isn't the cover, then. But it just deosn't grab me.
    Someone who was unfamiliar with the movie would think "Hm. A movie about
    a woman who hands a guy a pink fuzzy thing... Pass!" It should exhibit
    more sensational shlock movie elements- flying saucers, Tor and Vampira
    staggering through the graveyard, Bela in his cape, etcetera. From a
    marketing standpoint, this cover just seems like a loser; which is the
    opposite of what they need with this movie's history. Even the original
    VHS cover would be better.

    --
    "Our galaxy is tens of trillions of miles across, and surrounding it are
    countless galaxies of comparable size. All the cosmos that we have mapped

    Murder, Jan 26, 2004
  4. Murder

    SDamien3 Guest

    >Geir Friestad <> wrote
    >Oh, well maybe it isn't the cover, then. But it just deosn't grab me.
    >Someone who was unfamiliar with the movie would think "Hm. A movie about
    >a woman who hands a guy a pink fuzzy thing... Pass!" It should exhibit
    >more sensational shlock movie elements- flying saucers, Tor and Vampira
    >staggering through the graveyard, Bela in his cape, etcetera. From a
    >marketing standpoint, this cover just seems like a loser; which is the
    >opposite of what they need with this movie's history.

    Well put!

    >Even the original
    >VHS cover would be better.

    The original one-sheet art would be even better. I've never heard a
    satisfactory explation as to why Toushtone ditched the classy theatrical
    campaign in favor of the grade-D video art.

    P.S. - Picked up two copies of the recalled 'Ed Wood" DVD today at FYE in
    Philadelphia (30th Street Station); they had plenty more, as they've apparently
    not yet received instructions to yank from their inventory.

    "The Han Solo I grew up with would never have let Greedo get the jump on him."

    SDamien3, Jan 27, 2004
  5. Murder

    Murder Guest

    pamfart (SDamien3) wrote in

    >>Geir Friestad <> wrote
    >>Oh, well maybe it isn't the cover, then. But it just deosn't grab me.
    >> Someone who was unfamiliar with the movie would think "Hm. A movie
    >>about a woman who hands a guy a pink fuzzy thing... Pass!" It should
    >>exhibit more sensational shlock movie elements- flying saucers, Tor
    >>and Vampira staggering through the graveyard, Bela in his cape,
    >>etcetera. From a marketing standpoint, this cover just seems like a
    >>loser; which is the opposite of what they need with this movie's
    >>history.

    > Well put!

    It's just not at al what I pictured.

    >>Even the original
    >>VHS cover would be better.

    > The original one-sheet art would be even better. I've never heard a
    > satisfactory explation as to why Toushtone ditched the classy
    > theatrical campaign in favor of the grade-D video art.

    I don't think I've ever seen the original art.

    > P.S. - Picked up two copies of the recalled 'Ed Wood" DVD today at FYE
    > in Philadelphia (30th Street Station); they had plenty more, as
    > they've apparently not yet received instructions to yank from their
    > inventory.

    Ngh! Man, I hope I can get that lucky. I think the stores should all
    tell Touchstone (or whomever) to jag off: "We've pulled it once, we
    aren't going to do it again." I swear, someone should be flayed alive
    for this!

    Murder, Jan 27, 2004
  6. Murder

    SDamien3 Guest

    >>>Even the original
    >>>VHS cover would be better.

    >> The original one-sheet art would be even better. I've never heard a
    >> satisfactory explation as to why Toushtone ditched the classy
    >> theatrical campaign in favor of the grade-D video art.
    >>

    >I don't think I've ever seen the original art.

    check it out: scroll down to the fourth one-sheet:
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0109707/posters
    "The Han Solo I grew up with would never have let Greedo get the jump on him."

    SDamien3, Jan 27, 2004
  7. Murder

    Murder Guest

    pamfart (SDamien3) wrote in

    >>> The original one-sheet art would be even better. I've never heard a
    >>> satisfactory explation as to why Toushtone ditched the classy
    >>> theatrical campaign in favor of the grade-D video art.
    >>>

    >>I don't think I've ever seen the original art.

    > check it out: scroll down to the fourth one-sheet:
    > http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0109707/posters

    Ah. I was wrong- I have seen it. That would be much better.

    Murder, Jan 28, 2004