ED WOOD: 2 Region 1 DVD Releases?

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by Scot Gardner, Feb 16, 2004.

  1. Scot Gardner

    Scot Gardner Guest

    I have been trying to find a plausible explanation for Buena Vista's
    decision to snatch _Ed Wood_ from retail shelves -- AGAIN! It turns out
    that Buena Vista has pulled this now-you-see-it, now-you-don't' _Ed
    Wood_ stunt, not just once, but twice.

    The fact that _Ed Wood_ was first scheduled for Region 1 DVD release on
    August 2, 2002 is common knowledge. What I didn't know was that the
    original DVD was actually manufactured and that a few copies got into
    circulation. There are people who report having seen this extremely rare
    first pressing.

    Furthermore, I talked to the manager of a local video store and he said
    that he bought the first Region 1 release of _Ed Wood_ from a customer
    back in 2002. So far, I haven't seen the original cancelled DVD, but I
    would like to compare it with the new cancelled version. When I talked
    to the store manager last week, he hadn't seen the latest _Ed Wood_ DVD,
    but he probably has it by now.

    Has anyone seen the original Region 1 _Ed Wood_ DVD which was cancelled
    in 2002? If so, how does it compare to the latest Region 1 _Ed Wood_ DVD
    which was cancelled in 2004? (According to Home Theater Info, the
    original DVD was priced at $19.99, while the latest version was priced
    at $29.99, so there's that difference.)

    And of course, the big question is: Why does Buena Vista keep doing
    this?

    Scot Gardner, Feb 16, 2004

  2. Scot Gardner

    Scot Gardner Guest

    "Bill" <> wrote in message
    > The fact that _Ed Wood_ was first scheduled for Region 1 DVD release
    > on August 2, 2002 is common knowledge. What I didn't know was that
    > the original DVD was actually manufactured and that a few copies got
    > into circulation. There are people who report having seen this
    > extremely rare first pressing.

    <<I have no firsthand information about this, but someone on Ebay was
    selling what was supposed to be a copy of the cancelled release that
    you're speaking of. This was a couple of weeks back, and it is still
    part of Ebay's current archives:>>

    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3383239058&category=41536

    <<In the description. the seller claims that only roughly 300 copies
    were pressed--the artwork is different, more like the VHS and Divx
    releases of the film. Extras were virtually identical according to this
    seller, though he/she makes no mention of whether deleted scenes were
    included. The listing included photos of both the front/back of the
    DVD.>>

    <<Curiously, the seller is no longer a registered user, and there's no
    feedback from the buyer who won the auction.>>

    Thanks for the information and ESPECIALLY for the link. The cover is
    completely different form the latest non-release. The back cover is
    nearly identical to the current non-release, except that the only color
    used in the latest -- otherwise black and white -- back cover is pink.

    The large view of the back cover is impossible to read, but the special
    features section has what appears to be a full set of special features.
    According to the seller, "Special Features are same as the new Special
    Edition DVD, such as: Making Bela, Pie Plates Over Hollywood, Lets shoot
    this F#*%@r!, The Theremin, When Carol Met Larry & More!!"

    I'll have to take his word for this, because the winning bid of US
    $103.50 is about $75 more than I would be willing to pay.

    Scot Gardner, Feb 17, 2004

  3. Scot Gardner

    Scot Gardner Guest

    "unclejr" <> wrote in message
    "Scot Gardner" <> wrote...
    > And of course, the big question is: Why does Buena Vista keep
    > doing this?

    <<Scot, You are just going to have to stop obsessing about this. First,
    it was "Benifer" and Gigli, now this -- God only knows what else you've
    worried about that's not DVD-related. Stop. Please. For your sanity
    and ours... -Junior>>

    Thanks for the wake up call!

    After obsessing about the _Ed Wood_ controversy, I put Ben and Jen on
    the back burner. _Gigli_? Oh yes, I remember. That was the HUGE bomb
    that Ben and Jen starred in last year. It was pulled from theatrical
    release after 2 weeks, if I recall. It was so embarrassing to see such
    gigantic stars flop so badly.

    As a result, Ben and Jen's wedding was called off and now they have
    permanently split up. It's hard to believe that a shit script, lousy
    music and crappy production values could have produced a movie so bad
    that it could cause a breakup. I'm sure that we all miss Ben and Jen.

    But have no fear! Ben and Jen are scheduled to flop again! We finally
    have official confirmation from Miramax that _Jersey Girl_ will be
    playing to empty theaters, from coast to coast, starting March 19, 2004.

    Ben will play Ollie Trinke (Another great name choice!), marry Jennifer
    Lopez and have a cute-as-a-button baby girl. Then, Jen will die early in
    the movie, probably during childbirth or in a car wreck -- whatever.
    Then, Ben will move on and Jen will probably come back as a ghost or
    in flashbacks -- whatever. This sounds worse than _Gigli_. And don't
    blame me for the spoilers. The "plot" summary is on the Miramax website.

    Will this awful movie play for 1 week or 2? Time will tell.

    Mark your calendar: March 19, 2004.

    http://www.miramax.com/jerseygirl/

    Scot Gardner, Feb 17, 2004
  4. Scot Gardner

    Mike Kohary Guest

    "Scot Gardner" <> wrote in message news:20040216213331.715>

    > But have no fear! Ben and Jen are scheduled to flop again! We finally
    > have official confirmation from Miramax that _Jersey Girl_ will be
    > playing to empty theaters, from coast to coast, starting March 19, 2004.
    >
    > Ben will play Ollie Trinke (Another great name choice!), marry Jennifer
    > Lopez and have a cute-as-a-button baby girl. Then, Jen will die early in
    > the movie, probably during childbirth or in a car wreck -- whatever.
    > Then, Ben will move on and Jen will probably come back as a ghost or
    > in flashbacks -- whatever. This sounds worse than _Gigli_. And don't
    > blame me for the spoilers. The "plot" summary is on the Miramax website.
    >
    > Will this awful movie play for 1 week or 2? Time will tell.

    I'm curious if the Kevin Smith fanboys will stand behind this movie, or will
    even they flee screaming down the aisles?

    Mike

    Mike Kohary, Feb 17, 2004
  5. Scot Gardner

    Scot Gardner Guest

    "Mike Kohary" <> wrote in message
    > Will this awful movie (Jersey Girl) play for 1 week or 2? Time
    > will tell.

    <<I'm curious if the Kevin Smith fanboys will stand behind this movie,
    or will even they flee screaming down the aisles? Mike>>

    Well, _Jersey Girl_ has more plusses than minuses:

    Ben Affleck: Big minus.

    Liv Tyler: Big plus.

    Jennifer Lopez: Big ass.

    Still, even Jennifer Lopez' magnificent pooper won't be enough to save
    this flick, considering that she dies before the end of the first reel.
    And her character's name is Gertrude Steiney! Give me a break!

    Maybe little Raquel Castro, as Gertie Trinke, will be able to save the
    show. If she can pull off Shirley Temple's ever popular dancing, singing
    orphan routine, _Jersey Girl_ might stand a chance. ("On the good ship
    lollypop..." -- tappity, tap, tap.) This type of commercially-proven
    genre is always a big crowd pleaser. But don't count on it.

    The only way that Gertie Trinke could save _Jersey Girl_ is if, in the
    opening scene, she said, "My mother's a widow and my father died." Now
    that would be cute as hell. Unfortunately, the script keeps Ben and
    dumps Jen.

    Go to chapter 21 of _Ed Wood_ and watch the world premier scene for
    _Bride of the Monster_. It will be exactly the same for the world
    premier of _Jersey Girl_ -- including the part where Ben and Jen aren't
    there.

    As you can see, even Kevin Smith's fanboys flee screaming down the
    aisles.

    Scot Gardner, Feb 17, 2004
  6. Scot Gardner

    > "Mike Kohary" <> wrote in message
    > > Will this awful movie (Jersey Girl) play for 1 week or 2? Time
    > > will tell.

    > <<I'm curious if the Kevin Smith fanboys will stand behind this movie,
    > or will even they flee screaming down the aisles? Mike>>
    >

    > Well, _Jersey Girl_ has more plusses than minuses:
    >
    > Ben Affleck: Big minus.
    >
    > Liv Tyler: Big plus.
    >
    > Jennifer Lopez: Big ass.

    Which, in her case, is king of a big plus. ;)

    > Still, even Jennifer Lopez' magnificent pooper won't be enough to save
    > this flick, considering that she dies before the end of the first reel.
    > And her character's name is Gertrude Steiney! Give me a break!

    rofl...

    > Go to chapter 21 of _Ed Wood_ and watch the world premier scene for
    > _Bride of the Monster_. It will be exactly the same for the world
    > premier of _Jersey Girl_ -- including the part where Ben and Jen aren't
    > there.

    I gotta admit I've had a lot of fun with the Bennifer thing with my wife and
    friends the last several months. I sure will miss making fun of J-Lo's and
    B-Fleck's latest antics...

    Mike

    Mike Kohary, Feb 17, 2004
  7. Scot Gardner

    > "Mike Kohary" <> wrote in message
    > > Will this awful movie (Jersey Girl) play for 1 week or 2? Time
    > > will tell.

    > <<I'm curious if the Kevin Smith fanboys will stand behind this movie,
    > or will even they flee screaming down the aisles? Mike>>
    >

    > Well, _Jersey Girl_ has more plusses than minuses:
    >
    > Ben Affleck: Big minus.
    >
    > Liv Tyler: Big plus.
    >
    > Jennifer Lopez: Big ass.

    <<Which, in her case, is king of a big plus. ;)>>

    > Still, even Jennifer Lopez' magnificent pooper won't be enough to
    > save this flick, considering that she dies before the end of the
    > first reel. And her character's name is Gertrude Steiney! Give
    > me a break!

    <<rofl...>>

    > Go to chapter 21 of _Ed Wood_ and watch the world premier scene
    > for _Bride of the Monster_. It will be exactly the same for the world
    > premier of _Jersey Girl_ -- including the part where Ben and Jen
    > aren't there.

    <<I gotta admit I've had a lot of fun with the Bennifer thing with my
    wife and friends the last several months. I sure will miss making fun
    of J-Lo's and B-Fleck's latest antics... Mike>>

    These types of hijinks are the fluff that Hollywood dreams are made of.

    I did notice that Miramax has now removed all trace of Jennifer Lopez'
    image from its _Jersey Girl_ advertisements. Once a headliner, she is
    now billed as "with" Jennifer Lopez. But really, her public image just
    isn't a good fit with the virginal Gertrude Steiney.

    Not only does Jennifer Lopez enjoy appearing naked in public, she has
    always dated or married men that she hoped would advance various aspects
    of her career. Then, she broke up with all of them:

    Ojani Noa: Modeling

    Sean ''Puffy'' Combs: Singing

    Cris Judd: Dancing

    Ben Affleck: Acting (Well, everyone makes mistakes.)

    I'm sure that Gertrude Steiney would never exhibit such indecent
    behavior. And if she did, virginal Ollie Trinke wouldn't have anything
    to do with her. Still, Miramax has a potential box office dud on its
    hands. There is no way that _Jersey Girl_ will be a big hit.

    Scot Gardner, Feb 17, 2004
  8. Scot Gardner

    JWB Guest

    > There is no way that _Jersey Girl_ will be a big hit.

    If it's a good movie, it will be.

    JWB, Feb 17, 2004
  9. Scot Gardner

    FMercury39 Guest

    >> There is no way that _Jersey Girl_ will be a big hit.

    >If it's a good movie, it will be.

    Picked this tidbit up at imdb.com today.

    Kevin Smith: Money Back If Dissatisfied

    Hollywood director Kevin Smith is so confident his latest movie Jersey Girl is
    a masterpiece, he's offering a ticket refund to anyone dissatisfied with it.
    Smith, who directs Ben Affleck and Jennifer Lopez in the film, claims Affleck
    has given the performance of his life in the forthcoming movie. But he does
    admit to worrying about how the critical and commercial mauling given to the
    ex-couple's last film, Gigli, will affect the box-office takings of Jersey
    Girl. Smith says, "After Gigli, I was, like, 'Oh man - our jobs just got much
    harder.' But it's not Gigli 2: Bennifer Strikes Back. We're a comeback picture.
    Affleck has never been as good as he is here. If you're not satisfied, I'd be
    willing to stand at the door of theaters and be like, 'You don't have to pay.'"

    FMercury39, Feb 17, 2004