    WinXP-pro from the first drive.

    Also, does anyone know if the GS7610 is a SATA1 only?

    Thanks.

    Ian Field, Oct 20, 2010

  2. Ian Field

    Meat Plow Guest

    On Wed, 20 Oct 2010 14:50:54 +0100, Ian Field wrote:

    > Anyone know whether I can add a SATA to my ECS GS7610 Ultra+ MOBO
    > alongside the existing IDE drives?

    Does a SATA controller show up in the device manager? Or an unknown
    device? Or a SCSI device?

    http://www.ecs.com.tw/

    Meat Plow, Oct 20, 2010

  3. Ian Field

    Dan C Guest

    On Wed, 20 Oct 2010 14:50:54 +0100, Ian Field wrote:

    > Anyone know whether I can add a SATA to my ECS GS7610 Ultra+ MOBO
    > alongside the existing IDE drives?
    >
    > Currently I have 3 IDE drives & a DVD-RW drive on the 2 IDE ports,
    > booting WinXP-pro from the first drive.
    >
    > Also, does anyone know if the GS7610 is a SATA1 only?

    You can't look at the owner's manual, or look at the ECS website to see
    if it even supports SATA drives? You're too fucking helpless to do that
    all by yourself?

    Pathetic.

    "Bother!" said Pooh, as he downed his twelfth Guinness.

    Dan C, Oct 20, 2010
  4. Ian Field

    Meat Plow Guest

    On Wed, 20 Oct 2010 15:40:09 +0000, Dan C wrote:

    > On Wed, 20 Oct 2010 14:50:54 +0100, Ian Field wrote:
    >
    >> Anyone know whether I can add a SATA to my ECS GS7610 Ultra+ MOBO
    >> alongside the existing IDE drives?
    >>
    >> Currently I have 3 IDE drives & a DVD-RW drive on the 2 IDE ports,
    >> booting WinXP-pro from the first drive.
    >>
    >> Also, does anyone know if the GS7610 is a SATA1 only?

    > You can't look at the owner's manual, or look at the ECS website to see
    > if it even supports SATA drives? You're too fucking helpless to do that
    > all by yourself?
    >
    > Pathetic.

    What is actually pathetic are your whines and your mind-numbing pedantic
    droning of "format your hard drive."

    It's glaringly obvious you have no social life. No one to share interests
    with and no desire to do so. What the **** you think you have to gain in
    a public forum considering your social 'retard-ism' is anyone's guess.

    Meat Plow, Oct 20, 2010
  5. Ian Field

    Dan C Guest

    On Wed, 20 Oct 2010 15:48:30 +0000, Meat Plow wrote:

    > On Wed, 20 Oct 2010 15:40:09 +0000, Dan C wrote:
    >
    >> On Wed, 20 Oct 2010 14:50:54 +0100, Ian Field wrote:
    >>
    >>> Anyone know whether I can add a SATA to my ECS GS7610 Ultra+ MOBO
    >>> alongside the existing IDE drives?
    >>>
    >>> Currently I have 3 IDE drives & a DVD-RW drive on the 2 IDE ports,
    >>> booting WinXP-pro from the first drive.
    >>>
    >>> Also, does anyone know if the GS7610 is a SATA1 only?

    >> You can't look at the owner's manual, or look at the ECS website to see
    >> if it even supports SATA drives? You're too fucking helpless to do
    >> that all by yourself?
    >>
    >> Pathetic.

    > What is actually pathetic<BITCHSLAP>

    Hush up, boy. When I want some lip from you, I'll scrape it off my
    zipper.

    "Bother!" said Pooh, as he found his pit crew eating ice cream.

    Dan C, Oct 20, 2010
  6. Ian Field

    Meat Plow Guest

    On Wed, 20 Oct 2010 16:13:19 +0000, Dan C wrote:

    > On Wed, 20 Oct 2010 15:48:30 +0000, Meat Plow wrote:

    >>> You can't look at the owner's manual, or look at the ECS website to
    >>> see if it even supports SATA drives? You're too fucking helpless to
    >>> do that all by yourself?
    >>>
    >>> Pathetic.

    >> What is actually pathetic are your whines and your mind-numbing
    >> pedantic droning of "format your hard drive."

    >> It's glaringly obvious you have no social life. No one to share interests
    >> with and no desire to do so. What the **** you think you have to gain in
    >> a public forum considering your social 'retard-ism' is anyone's guess.

    > Hush up, boy. When I want some lip from you, I'll scrape it off my
    > zipper.

    Aw, poor wittle baby Dan C. Truth hurts :) Your best come back is a fag lame.

    LOL

    Meat Plow, Oct 20, 2010
  7. Ian Field

    VanguardLH Guest

    Ian Field wrote:

    > Anyone know whether I can add a SATA ...

    A SATA ***WHAT***? SATA (Serial Advanced Technology Attachment) is an
    interface specification, NOT a particular device or even a particular
    device type. Go read:

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Serial_ATA

    > ... to my ECS GS7610 Ultra+ MOBO alongside the existing IDE drives?

    The ECS site does not list an Ultra+ (Ultra Plus) model. They only list
    the Ultra model (but there are 1.0 and 1.1 versions).

    > Currently I have 3 IDE drives & a DVD-RW drive on the 2 IDE ports,
    > booting WinXP-pro from the first drive. Also, does anyone know if the GS7610 is a SATA1 only?

    Did you ever go look at the motherboard's specifications and then go
    read its manual? Go visit:

    http://www.ecs.com.tw/ECSWebSite/Pr...x?DetailID=846&CategoryID=1&MenuID=22&LanID=0

    The manual is under the Download tab. It's a .pdf file. Go read page
    16. Note the max transfer speed. Now go back to the wiki article above
    and look at the "Revisions" section to see what is the max speed for
    each SATA revision (and note there a Mbps and MBps rates mentioned there
    whereas the mobo manual mentions the MBps rate).

    Depending on WHAT device *type* and the max rate supported by that
    device you intend to install that uses the SATA *interface* will dictate
    whether or not the onboard SATA controller will suffice for supporting
    the max transfer rate of that unidentified SATA device.

    VanguardLH, Oct 20, 2010
  8. Ian Field

    Ian Field Guest

    "Meat Plow" <> wrote in message
    > On Wed, 20 Oct 2010 14:50:54 +0100, Ian Field wrote:
    >
    >> Anyone know whether I can add a SATA to my ECS GS7610 Ultra+ MOBO
    >> alongside the existing IDE drives?

    > Does a SATA controller show up in the device manager? Or an unknown
    > device? Or a SCSI device?
    >
    >> Currently I have 3 IDE drives & a DVD-RW drive on the 2 IDE ports,
    >> booting WinXP-pro from the first drive.
    >>
    >> Also, does anyone know if the GS7610 is a SATA1 only?
    >>
    >> Thanks.

    > http://www.ecs.com.tw/

    I have the original booklet that came in the box with the MOBO.

    It doesn't actually say in so many words that SATA & IDE can run alongside
    each other, the example screenshots show "SATA not detected" for a setup
    that only has PATA drives fitted.

    Although it doesn't say in so many words that you can't either.

    On the question of whether its SATA2 compliant, the connectors on the MOBO
    are labelled SATA1 & SATA2 - but I'm pretty sure thats the numerical order
    of the 2 connectorsa and not the level of standard.

    Ian Field, Oct 21, 2010
  9. Ian Field

    Meat Plow Guest

    On Thu, 21 Oct 2010 15:26:27 +0100, Ian Field wrote:

    > "Meat Plow" <> wrote in message
    >> On Wed, 20 Oct 2010 14:50:54 +0100, Ian Field wrote:
    >>
    >>> Anyone know whether I can add a SATA to my ECS GS7610 Ultra+ MOBO
    >>> alongside the existing IDE drives?

    >> Does a SATA controller show up in the device manager? Or an unknown
    >> device? Or a SCSI device?
    >>
    >>> Currently I have 3 IDE drives & a DVD-RW drive on the 2 IDE ports,
    >>> booting WinXP-pro from the first drive.
    >>>
    >>> Also, does anyone know if the GS7610 is a SATA1 only?
    >>>
    >>> Thanks.

    >> http://www.ecs.com.tw/

    > I have the original booklet that came in the box with the MOBO.
    >
    > It doesn't actually say in so many words that SATA & IDE can run
    > alongside each other, the example screenshots show "SATA not detected"
    > for a setup that only has PATA drives fitted.
    >
    > Although it doesn't say in so many words that you can't either.
    >
    > On the question of whether its SATA2 compliant, the connectors on the
    > MOBO are labelled SATA1 & SATA2 - but I'm pretty sure thats the
    > numerical order of the 2 connectorsa and not the level of standard.

    The only way you couldn't use both controllers is if you had to select
    between one and the other in BIOS or by a jumper on the mainboard. I would
    take an experienced guess that both SATA and PATA ports can be used
    simultaneously and would be surprised if that weren't the case.

    As far as the SATA level goes, the board has a SIS965L Southbridge chip
    and that only supports SATA1 - 1.5 Gbits/s.

    Meat Plow, Oct 21, 2010
  10. Ian Field

    Ian Field Guest

    "Meat Plow" <> wrote in message
    > On Thu, 21 Oct 2010 15:26:27 +0100, Ian Field wrote:
    >
    >> "Meat Plow" <> wrote in message

    >>> Does a SATA controller show up in the device manager? Or an unknown
    >>> device? Or a SCSI device?

    >>> http://www.ecs.com.tw/

    >> I have the original booklet that came in the box with the MOBO.
    >>
    >> It doesn't actually say in so many words that SATA & IDE can run
    >> alongside each other, the example screenshots show "SATA not detected"
    >> for a setup that only has PATA drives fitted.
    >>
    >> Although it doesn't say in so many words that you can't either.
    >>
    >> On the question of whether its SATA2 compliant, the connectors on the
    >> MOBO are labelled SATA1 & SATA2 - but I'm pretty sure thats the
    >> numerical order of the 2 connectorsa and not the level of standard.

    > The only way you couldn't use both controllers is if you had to select
    > between one and the other in BIOS or by a jumper on the mainboard. I would
    > take an experienced guess that both SATA and PATA ports can be used
    > simultaneously and would be surprised if that weren't the case.
    >
    > As far as the SATA level goes, the board has a SIS965L Southbridge chip
    > and that only supports SATA1 - 1.5 Gbits/s.

    OK - so far so good, if I discover that it won't handle a 1Tb drive should I
    blame the MOBO or WinXP-Pro SP3 ?

    Ian Field, Oct 21, 2010
  11. Ian Field

    Meat Plow Guest

    On Thu, 21 Oct 2010 21:14:39 +0100, Ian Field wrote:

    > "Meat Plow" <> wrote in message
    >> On Thu, 21 Oct 2010 15:26:27 +0100, Ian Field wrote:
    >>
    >>> "Meat Plow" <> wrote in message

    >>> I have the original booklet that came in the box with the MOBO.
    >>>
    >>> It doesn't actually say in so many words that SATA & IDE can run
    >>> alongside each other, the example screenshots show "SATA not detected"
    >>> for a setup that only has PATA drives fitted.
    >>>
    >>> Although it doesn't say in so many words that you can't either.
    >>>
    >>> On the question of whether its SATA2 compliant, the connectors on the
    >>> MOBO are labelled SATA1 & SATA2 - but I'm pretty sure thats the
    >>> numerical order of the 2 connectorsa and not the level of standard.

    >> The only way you couldn't use both controllers is if you had to select
    >> between one and the other in BIOS or by a jumper on the mainboard. I
    >> would take an experienced guess that both SATA and PATA ports can be
    >> used simultaneously and would be surprised if that weren't the case.
    >>
    >> As far as the SATA level goes, the board has a SIS965L Southbridge chip
    >> and that only supports SATA1 - 1.5 Gbits/s.

    > OK - so far so good, if I discover that it won't handle a 1Tb drive
    > should I blame the MOBO or WinXP-Pro SP3 ?

    The southbridge chip and BIOS should do 48 bit LBA so no worries there.

    Meat Plow, Oct 21, 2010
  12. Ian Field

    Hp Guest

    On 10/21/2010 4:14 PM, Ian Field wrote:
    > "Meat Plow"<> wrote in message
    >> On Thu, 21 Oct 2010 15:26:27 +0100, Ian Field wrote:
    >>
    >>> "Meat Plow"<> wrote in message

    >>> I have the original booklet that came in the box with the MOBO.
    >>>
    >>> It doesn't actually say in so many words that SATA& IDE can run
    >>> alongside each other, the example screenshots show "SATA not detected"
    >>> for a setup that only has PATA drives fitted.
    >>>
    >>> Although it doesn't say in so many words that you can't either.
    >>>
    >>> On the question of whether its SATA2 compliant, the connectors on the
    >>> MOBO are labelled SATA1& SATA2 - but I'm pretty sure thats the
    >>> numerical order of the 2 connectorsa and not the level of standard.

    >> The only way you couldn't use both controllers is if you had to select
    >> between one and the other in BIOS or by a jumper on the mainboard. I would
    >> take an experienced guess that both SATA and PATA ports can be used
    >> simultaneously and would be surprised if that weren't the case.
    >>
    >> As far as the SATA level goes, the board has a SIS965L Southbridge chip
    >> and that only supports SATA1 - 1.5 Gbits/s.

    > OK - so far so good, if I discover that it won't handle a 1Tb drive should I
    > blame the MOBO or WinXP-Pro SP3 ?

    several manufacturers make a PCI buss plugin card that allows adding
    SATA harddrives to a computer, you can even get a card that adds SATA
    AND IDE drives.

    So if a motherboard has an empty PCI SLOT you can ADD SATA drives to
    the PC!

    Hp, Oct 22, 2010
  13. Ian Field

    Ian Field Guest

    "Meat Plow" <> wrote in message
    > On Thu, 21 Oct 2010 21:14:39 +0100, Ian Field wrote:
    >
    >> "Meat Plow" <> wrote in message

    >>> The only way you couldn't use both controllers is if you had to select
    >>> between one and the other in BIOS or by a jumper on the mainboard. I
    >>> would take an experienced guess that both SATA and PATA ports can be
    >>> used simultaneously and would be surprised if that weren't the case.
    >>>
    >>> As far as the SATA level goes, the board has a SIS965L Southbridge chip
    >>> and that only supports SATA1 - 1.5 Gbits/s.

    >> OK - so far so good, if I discover that it won't handle a 1Tb drive
    >> should I blame the MOBO or WinXP-Pro SP3 ?

    > The southbridge chip and BIOS should do 48 bit LBA so no worries there.

    For formatting the drive I used an Asus M2N-MX, it didn't complain about
    XP - I've yet to see what happens when I plug it into the GS7610.

    Ian Field, Oct 22, 2010