    tolerance or even if the camera has any seals.

    --
    Photos and travelogues from Africa and Southeast Asia: http://www.exile.org
    Eric Edwards, Jan 6, 2007

  2. Eric Edwards

    Ken Lucke Guest

    In article <enn3hm$5hg$>, Eric Edwards
    <> wrote:

    > Any suggestions for a sub $1000 DSLR that might survive well in rain forest
    > conditions?
    >
    > When I went to Borneo in 2003, I brought a Maxxum 5 (low end film SLR).
    > It did not fare well. Major corrosion problems despite never being
    > immersed or directly rained on. It's dead now.
    >
    > I am now headed for the Amazon and making the jump to digital. I'd like
    > to get a camera that will hold together and not break the bank. Any
    > suggestions? I've noticed that reviews seldom mention weather
    > tolerance or even if the camera has any seals.

    And you probably won't, until you get up into the actual pro bodies.
    Even the "prosumer" models are not designed to be weather resistant.

    independence.
    -- Charles A. Beard
    Ken Lucke, Jan 6, 2007

  3. Eric Edwards

    Eric Miller Guest

    Eric Edwards wrote:
    > Any suggestions for a sub $1000 DSLR that might survive well in rain forest
    > conditions?
    >
    > When I went to Borneo in 2003, I brought a Maxxum 5 (low end film SLR).
    > It did not fare well. Major corrosion problems despite never being
    > immersed or directly rained on. It's dead now.
    >
    > I am now headed for the Amazon and making the jump to digital. I'd like
    > to get a camera that will hold together and not break the bank. Any
    > suggestions? I've noticed that reviews seldom mention weather
    > tolerance or even if the camera has any seals.

    Take a look at the Pentax K10. It boasts weather resistant seals and a
    street price of just under $1000. It also has an auto ISO/sensitivity
    mode, 10 megapixels and in-camera image stabilization.

    If I weren't so heavily into Canon lenses, I might have had to give it a
    shot instead of the 5D that just arrived via UPS today (I couldn't wait).

    Eric Miller
    Eric Miller, Jan 6, 2007
  4. Eric Edwards <> wrote:
    : Any suggestions for a sub $1000 DSLR that might survive well in rain forest
    : conditions?

    : When I went to Borneo in 2003, I brought a Maxxum 5 (low end film SLR).
    : It did not fare well. Major corrosion problems despite never being
    : immersed or directly rained on. It's dead now.

    : I am now headed for the Amazon and making the jump to digital. I'd like
    : to get a camera that will hold together and not break the bank. Any
    : suggestions? I've noticed that reviews seldom mention weather
    : tolerance or even if the camera has any seals.

    : --
    : Photos and travelogues from Africa and Southeast Asia: http://www.exile.org

    One thought. It may be less expensive to just get an "underwater housing"
    for your camera. There are many types, brands and price ranges. Some of
    the less expensive ones (mostly an inflated plastic bag with lens ports)
    would likely do you fine.

    Randy

    ==========
    Randy Berbaum
    Champaign, IL
    Randy Berbaum, Jan 6, 2007
  5. Eric Edwards

    Scott W Guest

    Eric Edwards wrote:
    > Any suggestions for a sub $1000 DSLR that might survive well in rain forest
    > conditions?
    >
    > When I went to Borneo in 2003, I brought a Maxxum 5 (low end film SLR).
    > It did not fare well. Major corrosion problems despite never being
    > immersed or directly rained on. It's dead now.
    >
    > I am now headed for the Amazon and making the jump to digital. I'd like
    > to get a camera that will hold together and not break the bank. Any
    > suggestions? I've noticed that reviews seldom mention weather
    > tolerance or even if the camera has any seals.
    >
    > --
    > Photos and travelogues from Africa and Southeast Asia: http://www.exile.org

    Pretty much everything rusts and or corrodes here in Hawaii but so far
    we have had no problems with either the Canon 20D or the 350D.

    Our humidity is generally not all that high, seems to run around 70%
    but then we have a lot of sulfuric acid in the air as well and I
    believe that helps a lot of stuff rust.

    We have had the 20D for just over two years and the 350D just a bit
    over half a years and as I said no problems yet.

    Scott
    Scott W, Jan 6, 2007
  6. Eric Edwards

    Alfred Molon Guest

    In article <enn3hm$5hg$>, Eric Edwards says...
    > Any suggestions for a sub $1000 DSLR that might survive well in rain forest
    > conditions?
    >
    > When I went to Borneo in 2003, I brought a Maxxum 5 (low end film SLR).
    > It did not fare well. Major corrosion problems despite never being
    > immersed or directly rained on. It's dead now.
    >
    > I am now headed for the Amazon and making the jump to digital. I'd like
    > to get a camera that will hold together and not break the bank. Any
    > suggestions? I've noticed that reviews seldom mention weather
    > tolerance or even if the camera has any seals.

    Not sure how you managed to destroy your camera, but this hasn't
    happened to me. I've been to Borneo several times over the past years
    and the compact digital cameras (Olympus) I've used never experienced
    problems, even in hot places with close to 100% humidity.
    --

    Alfred Molon
    Alfred Molon, Jan 6, 2007
  7. (Eric Edwards) wrote:

    > Any suggestions for a sub $1000 DSLR that might survive well in rain
    > forest conditions?

    MUST it be a DSLR? Your past experiences seem to indicate you need to rank
    sheer survivability over full functionality. What about bringing several
    cheap point&shoot digicams sealed in with silica gel... when one dies, open
    up a new one!

    Maximum protection would be an underwater housing. One for a true DSLR
    costs several times your camera budget. Cheap compromise might be the
    Canon S3-IS ($370) with an Ikelite underwater housing; cost together is
    about a kilobuck.

    --
    Anti-Spam address: my last name at his dot com
    Charles Gillen -- Reston, Virginia, USA
    Charles Gillen, Jan 6, 2007
  8. Eric Edwards

    C J Campbell Guest

    On Fri, 5 Jan 2007 19:03:18 -0800, Eric Edwards wrote
    (in article <enn3hm$5hg$>):

    > Any suggestions for a sub $1000 DSLR that might survive well in rain forest
    > conditions?
    >
    > When I went to Borneo in 2003, I brought a Maxxum 5 (low end film SLR).
    > It did not fare well. Major corrosion problems despite never being
    > immersed or directly rained on. It's dead now.

    My Nikon D70 held up very well in the Philippines for 18 months, despite
    terrible mistreatment. I had it out in typhoons, salt spray and blowing sand
    on jetties and boats, and dropped it several times. I even changed lenses
    during typhoons, using only a palm tree and wide-brimmed Tilley hat for
    cover. (Those Tilley hats are really something.) It has a few nicks and
    scratches, but I still use it today. All of this despite the fact that the
    camera is not weather sealed. Neither was the hat, which I also still use.
    C J Campbell, Jan 6, 2007
  9. Eric Edwards

    Freedom55 Guest

    Eric Edwards wrote:
    > Any suggestions for a sub $1000 DSLR that might survive well in rain forest
    > conditions?
    >
    > When I went to Borneo in 2003, I brought a Maxxum 5 (low end film SLR).
    > It did not fare well. Major corrosion problems despite never being
    > immersed or directly rained on. It's dead now.
    >
    > I am now headed for the Amazon and making the jump to digital. I'd like
    > to get a camera that will hold together and not break the bank. Any
    > suggestions? I've noticed that reviews seldom mention weather
    > tolerance or even if the camera has any seals.

    Have you considered the Olympus E-1? It is a pro camera, admittedly a
    little old by today's DSLR standards (at 5.5mp) but a very capable
    camera nonetheless. It is weather sealed and for under $1000 you could
    probably pick up a weather sealed lens with it (the versatile 14-54
    equivalent to 28-108 on a 35mm). It is quite robust, a joy to use,
    almost indestructible and will put up with just about any abuse you
    throw at it on a trip to humid environments.

    Ron

    --
    And it really doesn't matter if
    I'm wrong I'm right

    Lennon & McCartney
    Freedom55, Jan 6, 2007
  10. Pentax K10D is weather sealed. Sealed lenses for it due early and mid 2007.
    $1000 or less for the camera.

    ljc

    Little Juice Coupe, Jan 6, 2007
  11. Eric Edwards

    tomm42 Guest

    Eric Edwards wrote:
    > Any suggestions for a sub $1000 DSLR that might survive well in rain forest
    > conditions?
    >
    > When I went to Borneo in 2003, I brought a Maxxum 5 (low end film SLR).
    > It did not fare well. Major corrosion problems despite never being
    > immersed or directly rained on. It's dead now.
    >
    > I am now headed for the Amazon and making the jump to digital. I'd like
    > to get a camera that will hold together and not break the bank. Any
    > suggestions? I've noticed that reviews seldom mention weather
    > tolerance or even if the camera has any seals.
    >
    > --
    > Photos and travelogues from Africa and Southeast Asia: http://www.exile.org

    There are 3 weather sealed cameras without going into pro gear. The
    Pentax K10D, Olympus E1, or the Nikon D200. Olympus and Nikon have
    weather sealed lenses too, but they will cost as much or more than the
    body. You can go with kit lenses, or inexpensive lenses and replace
    them when you get back. The Olympus is a nicely build camera but
    doesn't have the image quality of the other 2 , 5mp vs 10 mp, but can
    be found for $600-$700. The high quality Olympus lenses are very
    expensive too (not that Nikon and Pentax aren't).

    Tom
    tomm42, Jan 6, 2007
  12. Eric Edwards

    Freedom55 Guest

    tomm42 wrote:
    The Olympus is a nicely build camera but
    > doesn't have the image quality of the other 2 , 5mp vs 10 mp, but can
    > be found for $600-$700. The high quality Olympus lenses are very
    > expensive too (not that Nikon and Pentax aren't).
    >
    > Tom

    Even at 5mp the image quality of the E-1 is outstanding. There is too
    much hype about MPs. Unless you are making 20"X30" prints 5mp is more
    than adequate for most needs. If you are a brave soul you might be able
    to buy a fully weather-sealed camera, the E-1+14-54 through Cameta or
    Henry's on Ebay.

    Ron

    Freedom55, Jan 6, 2007
  13. Eric Edwards

    Rich Guest

    Eric Edwards wrote:
    > Any suggestions for a sub $1000 DSLR that might survive well in rain forest
    > conditions?

    There is only one that will do the job. Olympus's E-1. It's body can
    be had for about
    $500-$600 refurbed with a pro sealed 14-54mm lens at around $400 if you
    look around.
    The Pentax K10D (the only sealed entry camera) is $900 for the body.
    Everything else (Nikon D200, etc) is way above your budget.
    Rich, Jan 6, 2007
  14. Eric Edwards

    Rich Guest

    C J Campbell wrote:
    > On Fri, 5 Jan 2007 19:03:18 -0800, Eric Edwards wrote
    > (in article <enn3hm$5hg$>):
    >
    > > Any suggestions for a sub $1000 DSLR that might survive well in rain forest
    > > conditions?
    > >
    > > When I went to Borneo in 2003, I brought a Maxxum 5 (low end film SLR).
    > > It did not fare well. Major corrosion problems despite never being
    > > immersed or directly rained on. It's dead now.

    > My Nikon D70 held up very well in the Philippines for 18 months, despite
    > terrible mistreatment. I had it out in typhoons, salt spray and blowing sand
    > on jetties and boats, and dropped it several times. I even changed lenses
    > during typhoons, using only a palm tree and wide-brimmed Tilley hat for
    > cover. (Those Tilley hats are really something.) It has a few nicks and
    > scratches, but I still use it today. All of this despite the fact that the
    > camera is not weather sealed. Neither was the hat, which I also still use.

    Canon's Rebel XT didn't fare that well. I've read reports about
    humidity playing havoc with it's internals. Nikon must make more
    "closed" bodies.
    Rich, Jan 6, 2007
  15. Eric Edwards

    Eric Edwards Guest

    On Sat, 06 Jan 2007 13:39:14 GMT, Freedom55 <@ns.sympatico.ca> wrote:
    >Have you considered the Olympus E-1? It is a pro camera, admittedly a
    >little old by today's DSLR standards (at 5.5mp) but a very capable
    >camera nonetheless. It is weather sealed and for under $1000 you could
    >probably pick up a weather sealed lens with it (the versatile 14-54
    >equivalent to 28-108 on a 35mm). It is quite robust, a joy to use,

    How much is the weather sealing compromised if the lens is not weather
    sealed? The 15-54 is, unfortunately, much too short for wildlife
    photography. I used a 420mm equivalent in Borneo and it was just
    adequate.

    I'm thinking a Nikon may be my best bet. I'm only going to be in
    Amazonia for a few days. I'm highly encouraged that a D70 could survive
    wet weather abuse in the Philippines. I have always suspected that the
    chief problem with my Maxxum 5 was simply poor construction. The Tamron
    auto-focus lenses survive OK.

    --
    Photos and travelogues from Africa and Southeast Asia: http://www.exile.org
    Eric Edwards, Jan 9, 2007
  16. Now this is not Olympus, but Pentax has said they have never seen any camera
    body water damage from a non-sealed lens. So I guess this mean while
    technically possible it isn't likely. Now what happens to the lens is
    another mater.

    ljc

    Little Juice Coupe, Jan 9, 2007