    population.

    Although the situation in Finland has changed a little now, as Telia Finland
    was acquired by DNA recently.
    JedMeister, Feb 5, 2004

  2. JedMeister

    steve Guest

    JedMeister wrote:

    > I saw econet were going to put cellphone coverage in the main cities, and
    > piggy back roaming off the Vodafone network.
    >
    > Then, some people were whining that the country cannot support more than 2
    > operators.
    >
    > Interestingly, a Swedish company operating in Finland (Telia Finland) have
    > placed the exact same model that econet proposes to use.
    >
    > Interestingly Finland has more GSM operators than NZ too, yet have a
    > similar population.
    >
    > Although the situation in Finland has changed a little now, as Telia
    > Finland was acquired by DNA recently.

    Econet are based in Zimbabwe.....and things have taken a turn for the worse
    there in the past couple of years, as you may know.

    Econet have also been expanding in Nigeria and Lesotho....and that
    investment has proven more expensive than planned.

    Econet have also said the Resource Management Act made building their
    network here more expensive than planned.....but that may well be an
    excuse. It is possible that, unlike Africa, they can't just stick a cell
    tower up whereever they please.....but they were already having cash
    troubles when they produced this excuse.

    So they aren't broke, but they lack the cash right now to invest in NZ.
    steve, Feb 5, 2004

  3. > JedMeister wrote:

    > > I saw econet were going to put cellphone coverage in the main cities,

    and
    > > piggy back roaming off the Vodafone network.
    > >
    > > Then, some people were whining that the country cannot support more than

    2
    > > operators.
    > >
    > > Interestingly, a Swedish company operating in Finland (Telia Finland)

    have
    > > placed the exact same model that econet proposes to use.
    > >
    > > Interestingly Finland has more GSM operators than NZ too, yet have a
    > > similar population.
    > >
    > > Although the situation in Finland has changed a little now, as Telia
    > > Finland was acquired by DNA recently.

    > Econet are based in Zimbabwe.....and things have taken a turn for the

    worse
    > there in the past couple of years, as you may know.
    >
    > Econet have also been expanding in Nigeria and Lesotho....and that
    > investment has proven more expensive than planned.
    >
    > Econet have also said the Resource Management Act made building their
    > network here more expensive than planned.....but that may well be an
    > excuse. It is possible that, unlike Africa, they can't just stick a cell
    > tower up whereever they please.....but they were already having cash
    > troubles when they produced this excuse.
    >
    > So they aren't broke, but they lack the cash right now to invest in NZ.

    They aren't broke as you point, and they actually got some cash from South
    African investors. I'd say it will not be in New Zealand so soon, though:

    Mauricio Freitas
    Bluetooth Guides: http://www.geekzone.co.nz/content.asp?contentid=449
    Performance Center: http://www.geekzone.co.nz/content.asp?ContentId=2028
    Mauricio Freitas, Feb 8, 2004