    digital Camera Sensor?

    Is it risky?

    Ken

    IMKen, Jun 22, 2004

  2. "IMKen" <> wrote in message
    news:C%MBc.30258$...
    > Have any of you used the Eclips cleaner and Sensor Swabs to clean your
    > digital Camera Sensor?

    Swabs are too flimsy. Use pec-pads and sensor-swipe (search google)

    > Is it risky?

    Yes!

    this old user, Jun 22, 2004

  3. IMKen

    Bill Hilton Guest

    >From: "IMKen"

    >Have any of you used the Eclips cleaner and Sensor Swabs to clean your
    >digital Camera Sensor?

    Yes, I use those and they work well. Usually takes me two swabs to get it
    right. I'd suggest buying Pec Pads and re-wrapping the swabs since this will
    cost you about 2 cents each while the pre-packaged swabs are $4 each and it
    gets expensive after a while.

    >Is it risky?

    You can screw it up by putting too much liquid on the swab or by picking up too
    much grit and scratching the sensor, but there are ways to avoid these
    problems.

    Here are some helpful sites.

    http://www.pbase.com/copperhill/ccd_cleaning (he shows the Sensor Swab with the
    pad off on pg 1 and it looks like a big Q-tip that won't reach the corners, but
    the new ones are flat like paddles and work a lot better. This is the best
    site for telling you exactly how to clean it, I think ... I bought his swab too
    but the pre-packaged ones work just as well)

    http://www.birdsasart.com/bn134.htm (good info if you wish to make your own
    swabs)

    http://www.photo.net/equipment/digital/sensorcleaning/ (good background info,
    with some other approaches).

    After the first few times it doesn't seem so bad but the first couple of cycles
    are intimidating :) Go slow and be careful.

    Bill

    Bill Hilton, Jun 22, 2004
  4. IMKen

    steve Guest

    Re: Eclips cleaner and Sensor Swabs to clean your digital CameraSensor?

    My philosophy is sensor cleaning is best performed by a reputable camera
    service center.

    I would hate to screw up my DSLR in the process of trying to save a few
    bucks.

    Of course I take great pains to keep dirt and dust out of the camera and
    have not had to clean the sensor in over a year of shooting.

    Steve

    steve, Jun 22, 2004
  5. IMKen

    Guest

    Archived from "IMKen" <> on Tue, 22 Jun 2004 02:41:38
    GMT:

    >Have any of you used the Eclips cleaner and Sensor Swabs to clean your
    >digital Camera Sensor?
    >
    >Is it risky?
    >

    >Ken

    Yes. All the time.
    No. If directions followed.

    , Jun 22, 2004
  6. IMKen

    Jim Townsend Guest

    IMKen wrote:

    > Have any of you used the Eclips cleaner and Sensor Swabs to clean your
    > digital Camera Sensor?

    Yes.. I've had a Canon 10D for a year now and I've cleaned it twice.
    with Eclipse and Sensor swabs. The system really works well. My only
    complaint is the materials are bit overpriced :)

    > Is it risky?

    Not really, not if you follow directions. Don't have the swab dripping
    with eclipse and you should be OK.

    Also.. A little bit of dust is inevitable. It's *always* there.. Just
    take a picture of a clear patch of sky at f/22 or higher and view the
    image on your monitor at 100% zoom. You'll see the dust plain as day.

    I don't bother wet cleaning mine until I start seeing dust at normal
    apertures that I can't blow off with my bulb blower. This isn't often.

    Jim Townsend, Jun 22, 2004
  7. IMKen

    IMKen Guest

    Mahalo for the feed back. I have the items so will give it a try when
    things get . Right now the sensor is clean enough to not cause problems
    but I know it is just a matter of time. I frequently change lens's under
    less than desirable conditions.

    ken

    <> wrote in message
    Archived from "IMKen" <> on Tue, 22 Jun 2004 02:41:38
    GMT:

    >Have any of you used the Eclips cleaner and Sensor Swabs to clean your
    >digital Camera Sensor?
    >
    >Is it risky?
    >

    >Ken

    Yes. All the time.
    No. If directions followed.

    IMKen, Jun 22, 2004
  8. Re: Eclips cleaner and Sensor Swabs to clean your digital CameraSensor?

    "IMKen" <> writes:

    > Have any of you used the Eclips cleaner and Sensor Swabs to clean your
    > digital Camera Sensor?

    Yes.

    > Is it risky?

    Anything involving touching the sensor is risky in some sense. Taking
    your camera out of it's box is risky too. All I can really report
    from personal experience is that I didn't damage my sensor the first
    two times I cleaned it with a swab. That's hardly a big enough sample
    to mean *anything*.

    Neither is as risky as taking a shower, though -- I could replace the
    camera for considerably less than it would cost if I broke my head
    open on the edge of the bathtub; and with a little less luck I might
    *die* (which is at least fairly cheap).

    David Dyer-Bennet, Jun 22, 2004