    Tony Mountifield
    Work: - http://www.softins.co.uk
    Play: - http://tony.mountifield.org

    Tony Mountifield, Dec 11, 2009

  2. Tony Mountifield wrote:
    > I have a customer who is using a couple of different ITSPs to make calls
    > to the Republic of Ireland (+353). The calls are originated on an Asterisk
    > box and handed to the ITSP using SIP over a LAN. As far as we know, each
    > ITSP then routes the calls over the PSTN to Ireland.

    The cause of the echo will be poor echo cancellation at the point where
    the circuit switched (PSTN) to VoIP conversion is done, as that is the
    only sensible place to echo cancel in those circumstances. I'd suspect
    there is common infrastructure on the two service providers' Irish
    interconnects to the PSTN.

    I suppose one other possibility is that the Irish PTT is operating some
    sort of VoIP with low enough latency for the echo not to be noticed for
    within network calls, but which is too long for the echo cancellers at
    the SIP boundary.

    David Woolley, Dec 11, 2009