    please explain why i always get an echo when i talk, but the other party
    calling me does not hear anything, but normal talk.

    using verizon voice wing, cable connection, cisco analog ta

    steve, Nov 29, 2004

  2. steve

    Pepperoni Guest

    Maybe the other party is using their PC speakers and the sound of your voice
    is coming back through their microphone.

    Pepperoni, Nov 29, 2004

  3. steve wrote:
    > please explain why i always get an echo when i talk, but the other party
    > calling me does not hear anything, but normal talk.
    >
    > using verizon voice wing, cable connection, cisco analog ta

    Echo in an IP phone environment generally stems from two possibilities:

    1.) Analog hybrids (4 wire/2 wire conversion)
    2.) Possible earpiece and mouthpiece audio coupling.

    I'd verify that you're not somehow getting audio back into the
    mouthpiece by having volume levels unnecessarily high. Try another phone
    on the ATA as well. Failing that, call VoiceWing and let them know about
    the echo problem. If the echo is not caused by your phone, then they may
    need to adjust some settings on their gateway to the PSTN.

    I have VoiceWing service as well, and have found their tech support to
    be pretty decent. So far, I've been very pleased with it. Initially,
    they had the audio gain on my ATA way too high. I called them and asked
    them to back it down. They took care of it while I was on the phone with
    them. That made a tremendous difference. I suspect that you're settings
    are quite hot, too. I'm guessing that compared to your normal house
    jack, the phone is much louder? Good Luck!

    53 byte enthusiast, Nov 29, 2004
  4. steve

    Mitel Lurker Guest

    In article <> "steve" <>
    writes:

    >please explain why i always get an echo when i talk, but the other party
    >calling me does not hear anything, but normal talk.

    >using verizon voice wing, cable connection, cisco analog ta

    Here's what MITEL has to say on the topic of ECHO with IP phones and their
    new SX-200 ICP pbx:

    {QUOTING}

    "With IP telephones, it is especially important to match impedance between
    trunk circuits in the SX-200 ICP and the Central Office (CO). The CO can
    provide trunks with impedance settings of 600 Ohms, Complex, Centrex, or
    DSL. The ASU Class Trunk circuit descriptor in CDE Form 13 provides
    matching settings. It also provides a setting called [Is this a long line
    C0.] Setting it to NO (the default) adds padding that helps to reduce echo
    when the db level of calls is high, as it would be if the SX-200 ICP is
    located very close to the C.O. or a signal repeater. Setting it to yes
    removes the padding."

    {END QUOTE}

    What this is telling us it that quite possibly your problem is too high of
    a transmit (speaking) level on your end. If there is a way to adjust or
    pad down your own transmit (send) level, that very well might fix it.

    Of course it could also be "sidetone" coming back to you from the hybrid
    at the ISP. The delay you hear is the packet delay.

    Regardless of the cause I agree it is very undesirable (and annoying).
    Unfortunately it is not that unusual with low-end or home-brew
    Internet-based IP phone solutions.

    Mitel Lurker, Nov 30, 2004