    looked).

    --
    Duncan.

    Dave Doe, Feb 9, 2012

  2. Dave Doe

    Malcolm Guest

    On Thu, 9 Feb 2012 18:06:37 +1300
    Dave Doe <> wrote:

    > I'm looking for this one...
    >
    > http://www.amazon.com/Art-Instinct-Beauty-Pleasure-
    > Evolution/dp/1608190552/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1328763913&sr=8-1
    >
    > Dennis Dutton - The Art Instinct: Beauty, Pleasure, and Human
    > Evolution
    >
    > Can't seem to find an eBook version anywhere. Lodi? :) (yeah I've
    > looked).

    I see a Kindle version?
    <http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001FA0RAM/ref=pd_lpo_k2_dp_sr_1/184-3507207-3610461?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_r=1QA812KZFG2K03J5GHKT&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_p=486539851&pf_rd_i=B002KFOYXW>

    --
    Cheers Malcolm °¿° (Linux Counter #276890)
    openSUSE 12.1 (x86_64) Kernel 3.1.9-1.4-desktop

    Malcolm, Feb 9, 2012

  3. Dave Doe

    Malcolm Guest

    On Wed, 8 Feb 2012 23:18:16 -0600
    Malcolm <> wrote:

    > On Thu, 9 Feb 2012 18:06:37 +1300
    > Dave Doe <> wrote:
    >
    > > I'm looking for this one...
    > >
    > > http://www.amazon.com/Art-Instinct-Beauty-Pleasure-
    > > Evolution/dp/1608190552/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1328763913&sr=8-1
    > >
    > > Dennis Dutton - The Art Instinct: Beauty, Pleasure, and Human
    > > Evolution
    > >
    > > Can't seem to find an eBook version anywhere. Lodi? :) (yeah I've
    > > looked).
    > >

    > I see a Kindle version?
    > <http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001FA0RAM/ref=pd_lpo_k2_dp_sr_1/184-3507207-3610461?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_r=1QA812KZFG2K03J5GHKT&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_p=486539851&pf_rd_i=B002KFOYXW>

    and
    <http://softarchive.net/blogs/thutrang88/the_art_instinct_beauty_pleasure_and_human_evolution.844939.html>

    Malcolm, Feb 9, 2012
  4. Dave Doe

    Dave Doe Guest

    In article <>,
    , Malcolm says...

    > On Thu, 9 Feb 2012 18:06:37 +1300
    > Dave Doe <> wrote:
    >
    > > I'm looking for this one...
    > >
    > > http://www.amazon.com/Art-Instinct-Beauty-Pleasure-
    > > Evolution/dp/1608190552/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1328763913&sr=8-1
    > >
    > > Dennis Dutton - The Art Instinct: Beauty, Pleasure, and Human
    > > Evolution
    > >
    > > Can't seem to find an eBook version anywhere. Lodi? :) (yeah I've
    > > looked).
    > >

    > I see a Kindle version?
    > <http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001FA0RAM/ref=pd_lpo_k2_dp_sr_1/184-3507207-3610461?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_r=1QA812KZFG2K03J5GHKT&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_p=486539851&pf_rd_i=B002KFOYXW>

    Thanks, why don't they have that linked on the book page? - or am I
    *that* blind.

    --
    Duncan.

    Dave Doe, Feb 9, 2012
  5. Dave Doe

    victor Guest

    On 9/02/2012 6:41 p.m., Dave Doe wrote:

    > Thanks, why don't they have that linked on the book page? - or am I
    > *that* blind.

    It might be because its got the "not available for your area" feature
    activated.

    victor, Feb 9, 2012
  6. Dave Doe

    victor Guest

    On 9/02/2012 9:43 p.m., Peter Huebner wrote:
    > In article<jgvntl$lig$>, says...
    >>
    >> It might be because its got the "not available for your area" feature
    >> activated.
    >>

    > I really despise that shit. Amazon.uk point blank refuses to deal with
    > me, same goes for amazon.de -- just what do they think they're driving
    > at? There are e-books available on amazon.de that amazon.com does not
    > list, and I'd like to read some of them.
    > And when I tried to download a free (!) ebook from the Barns and Noble
    > site they went right through the checkout process, got my special
    > security number off the visa card (free book, remember?) and
    > _then_finally_ gave me that particular brush-off. "No, can't have it in
    > your area" I wasn't half pissed off. It wasn't that hard to find another
    > site that did have the book available i.i.r.c.
    >
    > And then these idiots wonder why people feel like using pirated
    > material?
    >
    > I recently bought a computer game. Wouldn't start up after installing
    > because Securom doesn't like my blu-ray drive. So the first thing I had
    > to do is find a cracked copy of the game in order to be able to play it.
    > Maybe next time I shouldn't bother giving them money and waiting for the
    > parcel to arrive first? Eff-em, I will no longer buy anything published
    > by Sony or Ubisoft; I'd rather go without. Now we're gettig the same
    > style of crap from the ebook publishers and retailers.>;-(
    >
    > Yes, I've really had a guts-full of the "entertainment industry". Or
    > maybe I'm just another on the way to curmudgeon-dom.
    >
    > -P.

    I have succeeded in purchasing e-books from Amazon that aren't available
    to Asia Pacific, I assume its a bug in their distribution license
    process that end users have to workaround individually at this stage.

    victor, Feb 9, 2012
  7. Dave Doe

    Enkidu Guest

    On 09/02/12 21:43, Peter Huebner wrote:

    > And then these idiots wonder why people feel like using pirated
    > material?

    It's not the e-book vendors in the main. The likes of Amazon have to
    deal very carefully with copyright issues and in many cases they can't
    get copyright for all countries. Why that is so is another question. If
    you buy locally from Whitcoulls, Whitcoulls get their feed from Kobo and
    they can only see the books that Kobo allow them to. Presumably Kobo
    don't have the copyright for those books in NZ. (Incidentally the
    e-books are marked 'out of stock' on Whitcoulls website which led to my
    initial inquiry to Whitcoulls about e-books and the selling of them online).

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    The end excuses any evil - Sophocles

    Enkidu, Feb 9, 2012
  8. Dave Doe

    Ted Guest

    On Thu, 9 Feb 2012 21:43:20 +1300, Peter Huebner <>
    wrote:

    >In article <jgvntl$lig$>, says...
    >>
    >> It might be because its got the "not available for your area" feature
    >> activated.
    >>

    >I really despise that shit.

    Yep. DVD region coding is similar.

    >And then these idiots wonder why people feel like using pirated
    >material?

    Well, since they are not offering it for sale, then they lose no money
    if you get it without paying for it. So IMO "pirating" is not an
    appropriate word to use here.

    >Yes, I've really had a guts-full of the "entertainment industry".

    Things like you describe show their mindset. Dishonest and
    despicable. It permeates all their offerings.

    Ted, Feb 9, 2012
  9. Dave Doe

    Geopelia Guest

    "Dave Doe" <> wrote in message
    > I'm looking for this one...
    >
    > http://www.amazon.com/Art-Instinct-Beauty-Pleasure-
    > Evolution/dp/1608190552/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1328763913&sr=8-1
    >
    > Dennis Dutton - The Art Instinct: Beauty, Pleasure, and Human Evolution
    >
    > Can't seem to find an eBook version anywhere. Lodi? :) (yeah I've
    > looked).

    Are these Amazon books real books sent through the mail, or just to read on
    the computer like Gutenberg's free ones please?

    Geopelia, Feb 10, 2012
  10. Dave Doe

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh intarwebs Geopelia wrote:
    > "Dave Doe" <> wrote in message
    >> I'm looking for this one...
    >>
    >> http://www.amazon.com/Art-Instinct-Beauty-Pleasure-
    >> Evolution/dp/1608190552/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1328763913&sr=8-1
    >>
    >> Dennis Dutton - The Art Instinct: Beauty, Pleasure, and Human
    >> Evolution Can't seem to find an eBook version anywhere. Lodi? :) (yeah
    >> I've
    >> looked).
    >>

    > Are these Amazon books real books sent through the mail, or just to
    > read on the computer like Gutenberg's free ones please?

    You can get either from Amazon. A hunk of tree or a spurt of data. I believe
    that it costs a bit more for the tree as they have to print and post it.
    However, most of the cost is the IP, the author's work.
    --
    Shaun.

    cozy little classification in the DSM."
    David Melville (in r.a.s.f1)

    ~misfit~, Feb 10, 2012
  11. Dave Doe

    Geopelia Guest

    "~misfit~" <> wrote in message
    > Somewhere on teh intarwebs Geopelia wrote:
    >> "Dave Doe" <> wrote in message
    >>> I'm looking for this one...
    >>>
    >>> http://www.amazon.com/Art-Instinct-Beauty-Pleasure-
    >>> Evolution/dp/1608190552/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1328763913&sr=8-1
    >>>
    >>> Dennis Dutton - The Art Instinct: Beauty, Pleasure, and Human
    >>> Evolution Can't seem to find an eBook version anywhere. Lodi? :) (yeah
    >>> I've
    >>> looked).
    >>>

    >> Are these Amazon books real books sent through the mail, or just to
    >> read on the computer like Gutenberg's free ones please?

    > You can get either from Amazon. A hunk of tree or a spurt of data. I
    > believe that it costs a bit more for the tree as they have to print and
    > post it. However, most of the cost is the IP, the author's work.

    When I worked for a publisher in the sixties, authors got 10% of the books'
    sale price.

    Geopelia, Feb 11, 2012
  12. Dave Doe

    Donchano Guest

    On Sat, 11 Feb 2012 17:21:28 +1300, "Geopelia" <>
    shouted from the highest rooftop:

    >"~misfit~" <> wrote in message
    >> Somewhere on teh intarwebs Geopelia wrote:
    >>> "Dave Doe" <> wrote in message

    >>> Are these Amazon books real books sent through the mail, or just to
    >>> read on the computer like Gutenberg's free ones please?

    >> You can get either from Amazon. A hunk of tree or a spurt of data. I
    >> believe that it costs a bit more for the tree as they have to print and
    >> post it. However, most of the cost is the IP, the author's work.

    >When I worked for a publisher in the sixties, authors got 10% of the books'
    >sale price.

    In 1989 when I wrote my first book the cartoonist and I shared a 15%
    royalty on sales and our advance was taken against those royalties.
    When the book was revised and expanded in the late-90s and republished
    in 2003 we got around the same.

    Neither of got rich on the sales, but those royalty cheques were
    welcomed every six months and we enjoyed making several thousand
    dollars a year up until about five years ago when the books simply
    stopped selling.

    Basically, it was the publisher and printer who made the lion's share,
    but we still own the copyright and are thinking of doing an e-book.

    Donchano, Feb 11, 2012
  13. Dave Doe

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh intarwebs Geopelia wrote:
    > "~misfit~" <> wrote in message
    >> Somewhere on teh intarwebs Geopelia wrote:
    >>> "Dave Doe" <> wrote in message

    >>> Are these Amazon books real books sent through the mail, or just to
    >>> read on the computer like Gutenberg's free ones please?

    >> You can get either from Amazon. A hunk of tree or a spurt of data. I
    >> believe that it costs a bit more for the tree as they have to print
    >> and post it. However, most of the cost is the IP, the author's work.

    > When I worked for a publisher in the sixties, authors got 10% of the
    > books' sale price.

    The beauty of the 'internet age' is that the author can take a higher
    percentage of the sale price. However, in truth it probably isn't *that*
    much higher. There are always vultures to be fed, regardless of the way the
    'food' is delivered.

    At least with eBooks, self-publishing is a much cheaper option than it used
    to be with paper books. However, it's all about getting word out. Nobody
    will buy something about which they know nothing... I guess those vultures
    might earn /some/ of their carrion.

    ~misfit~, Feb 12, 2012
  14. Dave Doe

    Enkidu Guest

    On 12/02/12 14:05, ~misfit~ wrote:

    > At least with eBooks, self-publishing is a much cheaper option than it used
    > to be with paper books.

    Most free e-books which are self-published are rubbish. Of course they
    can't *all* be rubbish, but I don't know of any reliable way of
    extracting the gold from the dross. 8-(

    Enkidu, Feb 12, 2012
  15. In article <jh47l2$qi$>, "~misfit~" <> wrote:
    >Somewhere on teh intarwebs Geopelia wrote:
    >> "Dave Doe" <> wrote in message
    >>> I'm looking for this one...
    >>> http://www.amazon.com/Art-Instinct-Beauty-Pleasure-
    >>> Evolution/dp/1608190552/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1328763913&sr=8-1
    >>> Dennis Dutton - The Art Instinct: Beauty, Pleasure, and Human
    >>> Evolution Can't seem to find an eBook version anywhere. Lodi? :) (yeah
    >>> I've
    >>> looked).

    >> Are these Amazon books real books sent through the mail, or just to
    >> read on the computer like Gutenberg's free ones please?

    >You can get either from Amazon. A hunk of tree or a spurt of data. I believe
    >that it costs a bit more for the tree as they have to print and post it.
    >However, most of the cost is the IP, the author's work.

    ... except, the actual authors get sod all of the cost as I understand it.
    Hmmm ... wonder where all the dosh is going then ... ? :)

    Bruce Sinclair, Feb 12, 2012
  16. In article <jh4qcc$o78$>, "Geopelia" <> wrote:
    (snip)
    >>> Are these Amazon books real books sent through the mail, or just to
    >>> read on the computer like Gutenberg's free ones please?

    >> You can get either from Amazon. A hunk of tree or a spurt of data. I
    >> believe that it costs a bit more for the tree as they have to print and
    >> post it. However, most of the cost is the IP, the author's work.

    >When I worked for a publisher in the sixties, authors got 10% of the books'
    >sale price.

    ... I thought it was usually a lot less than this ... but you have actual
    data. :)

    Thanks.

    Bruce Sinclair, Feb 12, 2012
  17. Dave Doe

    Geopelia Guest

    "Bruce Sinclair" <> wrote
    in message news:jh9fn9$dfh$...
    > In article <jh4qcc$o78$>, "Geopelia" <>
    > wrote:
    > (snip)
    >>>
    >>> You can get either from Amazon. A hunk of tree or a spurt of data. I
    >>> believe that it costs a bit more for the tree as they have to print and
    >>> post it. However, most of the cost is the IP, the author's work.

    >>When I worked for a publisher in the sixties, authors got 10% of the
    >>books'
    >>sale price.

    > .. I thought it was usually a lot less than this ... but you have actual
    > data. :)
    >
    > Thanks.

    It may be different now, and of course they pay tax.

    And it is unlikely that an unknown writer of fiction sending in an
    unsolicited manuscript will even get it published.
    (It may not even be read).
    The publisher must expect a certain number of sales to make the exercise
    feasible.

    Want to make money from writing? Write a school textbook that will be used
    for years!

    Geopelia, Feb 13, 2012