    and not just d/l online offerings.

    What about heat? Not keen to hold a gadget that is going to rise to x
    degrees in my hand after a while as laptops can.
    Jack Spratt, Jul 23, 2009

  2. Jack Spratt

    Jack Spratt Guest

    "Jack Spratt" <> wrote in message
    news:h4965g$eps$-september.org...
    > Complete noob on the topic.
    > Have a fair number of PDF books to get through and don't want to sit at a
    > desk to do so.
    >
    > Gadgets/thoughts/gotchas?
    > Looked at Amazon's Kindle (online not in the flesh) and it looks like what
    > I could use.
    > Would need to be able to load/copy my own eBooks from my wireless network
    > and not just d/l online offerings.
    >
    > What about heat? Not keen to hold a gadget that is going to rise to x
    > degrees in my hand after a while as laptops can.

    Just read this on amazon.....
    "You can email your PDF documents wirelessly to your Kindle, just like other
    personal documents. Due to PDF's fixed layout format, some complex PDF files
    may not format correctly on your Kindle."

    This may be an issue for me as a lot of the reading would be technical and
    so images/diagrams are almost always going to be resident.
    That said, I'm not sure what "complex pdf files" relate to.
    Jack Spratt, Jul 23, 2009

  3. Jack Spratt

    victor Guest

    Jack Spratt wrote:
    > "Jack Spratt" <> wrote in message
    >> Complete noob on the topic.
    >> Have a fair number of PDF books to get through and don't want to sit
    >> at a desk to do so.
    >>
    >> Gadgets/thoughts/gotchas?
    >> Looked at Amazon's Kindle (online not in the flesh) and it looks like
    >> what I could use.
    >> Would need to be able to load/copy my own eBooks from my wireless
    >> network and not just d/l online offerings.
    >>
    >> What about heat? Not keen to hold a gadget that is going to rise to x
    >> degrees in my hand after a while as laptops can.

    > Just read this on amazon.....
    > "You can email your PDF documents wirelessly to your Kindle, just like
    > other personal documents. Due to PDF's fixed layout format, some complex
    > PDF files may not format correctly on your Kindle."
    >
    > This may be an issue for me as a lot of the reading would be technical
    > and so images/diagrams are almost always going to be resident.
    > That said, I'm not sure what "complex pdf files" relate to.

    There is one available called the BeBook which doesn't appear to be as
    restrictive as the Kindle.
    http://mybebook.com/p5/ereader-bebook/product_info.html
    victor, Jul 23, 2009
  4. Jack Spratt

    Jack Spratt Guest

    "victor" <> wrote in message
    > Jack Spratt wrote:
    >> "Jack Spratt" <> wrote in message
    >>> Complete noob on the topic.
    >>> Have a fair number of PDF books to get through and don't want to sit at
    >>> a desk to do so.
    >>>
    >>> Gadgets/thoughts/gotchas?
    >>> Looked at Amazon's Kindle (online not in the flesh) and it looks like
    >>> what I could use.
    >>> Would need to be able to load/copy my own eBooks from my wireless
    >>> network and not just d/l online offerings.
    >>>
    >>> What about heat? Not keen to hold a gadget that is going to rise to x
    >>> degrees in my hand after a while as laptops can.

    >> Just read this on amazon.....
    >> "You can email your PDF documents wirelessly to your Kindle, just like
    >> other personal documents. Due to PDF's fixed layout format, some complex
    >> PDF files may not format correctly on your Kindle."
    >>
    >> This may be an issue for me as a lot of the reading would be technical
    >> and so images/diagrams are almost always going to be resident.
    >> That said, I'm not sure what "complex pdf files" relate to.

    > There is one available called the BeBook which doesn't appear to be as
    > restrictive as the Kindle.
    > http://mybebook.com/p5/ereader-bebook/product_info.html

    What constitutes "restrictive"?
    This is literally a thought I had 30 minutes ago with zero prior knowledge
    of the gadgets available.
    Ideally all I'd want to do is transfer a PDF from a desktop PC or laptop and
    go to the couch/bed/beach with it and read a book on something that is a
    similar size to a book.
    Jack Spratt, Jul 23, 2009
  5. Jack Spratt

    Nik Coughlin Guest

    > "victor" <> wrote in message
    >> Jack Spratt wrote:
    >>> "Jack Spratt" <> wrote in message

    > What constitutes "restrictive"?
    > This is literally a thought I had 30 minutes ago with zero prior knowledge
    > of the gadgets available.
    > Ideally all I'd want to do is transfer a PDF from a desktop PC or laptop
    > and go to the couch/bed/beach with it and read a book on something that is
    > a similar size to a book.

    2nd hand/Tardme eeepc 701, add ram & xp (pref. a lite edition), all you can
    stuff onto an sd card, foxit reader. Similar size to a paperback book, much
    cheaper and more capable than a kindle, perfect pdf rendering, use it for
    just this or does bunch of other stuff if so inclined.
    Nik Coughlin, Jul 23, 2009
  6. Jack Spratt

    Jack Spratt Guest

    "Nik Coughlin" <> wrote in message
    > "Jack Spratt" <> wrote in message
    >> "victor" <> wrote in message

    >> What constitutes "restrictive"?
    >> This is literally a thought I had 30 minutes ago with zero prior
    >> knowledge of the gadgets available.
    >> Ideally all I'd want to do is transfer a PDF from a desktop PC or laptop
    >> and go to the couch/bed/beach with it and read a book on something that
    >> is a similar size to a book.

    > 2nd hand/Tardme eeepc 701, add ram & xp (pref. a lite edition), all you
    > can stuff onto an sd card, foxit reader. Similar size to a paperback book,
    > much cheaper and more capable than a kindle, perfect pdf rendering, use it
    > for just this or does bunch of other stuff if so inclined.

    Is that a recommendation or an offer of sale?
    Jack Spratt, Jul 23, 2009
  7. Jack Spratt

    Nik Coughlin Guest

    > "Nik Coughlin" <> wrote in message
    >> "Jack Spratt" <> wrote in message
    >>> "victor" <> wrote in message

    >>> What constitutes "restrictive"?
    >>> This is literally a thought I had 30 minutes ago with zero prior
    >>> knowledge of the gadgets available.
    >>> Ideally all I'd want to do is transfer a PDF from a desktop PC or laptop
    >>> and go to the couch/bed/beach with it and read a book on something that
    >>> is a similar size to a book.

    >> 2nd hand/Tardme eeepc 701, add ram & xp (pref. a lite edition), all you
    >> can stuff onto an sd card, foxit reader. Similar size to a paperback
    >> book, much cheaper and more capable than a kindle, perfect pdf rendering,
    >> use it for just this or does bunch of other stuff if so inclined.

    > Is that a recommendation or an offer of sale?

    I like mine too much to sell it :) ANd I have decent top end hardware as
    well
    Nik Coughlin, Jul 23, 2009
  8. Jack Spratt

    Richard Guest

    Jack Spratt wrote:

    > This may be an issue for me as a lot of the reading would be technical
    > and so images/diagrams are almost always going to be resident.
    > That said, I'm not sure what "complex pdf files" relate to.

    They are talking about ones that use the advanced feautures - all the
    technical manuals I have downloaded have nothing more advanced then a
    few images and tables and possibly a bit of vector illustration in them.

    My understanding is that ghostscript is used for the conversion and
    thats pretty good in recent versions about delivering close to what the
    adobe reader will, unlike some of the other junk readers out there
    (foxit etc)

    Doesnt matter anyway since kindle is tied to a mobile network and thats
    no good for NZ.
    Richard, Jul 24, 2009