    and cranky (like me!) and will soon need replacing.

    The IRiver looks useful....what do you think?

    Barb UK
    Barb, Nov 18, 2010

  2. Barb

    Whiskers Guest

    On 2010-11-18, Barb <> wrote:
    > Please don't flame me for posting to the wrong group, but I can't find one
    > which fits!

    Nothing is off topic in this group :))

    > Any comments regarding ebook readers would be welcome. Anyone really
    > thrilled or p'd off with their current one?

    I have a "BeBook" (the model now sold as BeBook One) and it certainly
    works pretty well. But I find it gets less use than I thought it would; I
    can't quite put my finger on why that is. Perhaps it's just a bit too big
    and fragile to go in a pocket and I have too many 'real' books.

    > I'm not particularly interested in Kindle or the like, which are controlled
    > by a retailer, but I am looking for one which will read a good range of
    > documents, .txt, .doc., .html, which I can load on straight from my PC (via
    > usb).

    The BeBook range aren't overtly tied to any particular supplier of
    content, and I've never had to pay for a book - there are plenty of free
    ones out there, not least from Project Gutenberg. In fact, getting 'out
    of print' stuff is one of the big attractions of the ebook concept, for
    me.

    > I have a Palm TX at the moment, which does the job adequately, but it's old
    > and cranky (like me!) and will soon need replacing.
    >
    > The IRiver looks useful....what do you think?
    >
    > Barb UK

    Your present device is a "PDA"; iRiver devices are 'multimedia' players.
    Neither is an ebook reader as such. If you don't mind a small backlit
    display and short battery life, a smartphone might suit you. I can read
    text surprisingly well on mine, although I haven't tried a 'book' as such
    - just newspaper articles, email, SMS, and the like. A smartphone is
    smaller and more portable than any ebook reader I've seen, and a lot more
    versatile even than a PDA. (But the iPhone is 'tied' to Apple and Android
    phones are very Googlish, and phones running Windows are, well, running
    Windows, and Nokias are Nokia - it's hard to find a really 'independent'
    smartphone, although those running Android come close).

    Colour 'electronic ink/paper' devices may appear soon - currently they're
    all 'shades of grey' only. There are gadgets on sale now as 'colour ebook
    readers' but they use backlit displays and resemble a 'tablet computer'
    (but with less 'power').

    --
    -- ^^^^^^^^^^
    -- Whiskers
    Whiskers, Nov 18, 2010

  3. Barb

    Mike Easter Guest

    Barb wrote:

    > I'm not particularly interested in Kindle or the like, which are controlled
    > by a retailer, but I am looking for one which will read a good range of
    > documents, .txt, .doc., .html, which I can load on straight from my PC (via
    > usb).

    > The IRiver looks useful....what do you think?

    The IRiver is in these tables comparing e-book readers
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_e-book_readers

    --
    Mike Easter
    Mike Easter, Nov 18, 2010
  4. Barb

    83LowRider Guest

    Barb wrote:
    > Please don't flame me for posting to the wrong group, but I can't
    > find one which fits!
    >
    > Any comments regarding ebook readers would be welcome. Anyone really
    > thrilled or p'd off with their current one?
    >
    > I'm not particularly interested in Kindle or the like, which are
    > controlled by a retailer, but I am looking for one which will read a
    > good range of documents, .txt, .doc., .html, which I can load on
    > straight from my PC (via usb).
    >
    > I have a Palm TX at the moment, which does the job adequately, but
    > it's old and cranky (like me!) and will soon need replacing.
    >
    > The IRiver looks useful....what do you think?

    A similar conversation in another group.
    http://groups.google.com/group/rec....roup=rec.music.artists.springsteen&q=kindlers
    83LowRider, Nov 18, 2010
  5. Barb

    Barb Guest

    "Mike Easter" <> wrote in message
    > Barb wrote:
    >
    >> I'm not particularly interested in Kindle or the like, which are
    >> controlled by a retailer, but I am looking for one which will read a good
    >> range of documents, .txt, .doc., .html, which I can load on straight from
    >> my PC (via usb).

    >> The IRiver looks useful....what do you think?

    > The IRiver is in these tables comparing e-book readers
    > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_e-book_readers
    >

    > --
    > Mike Easter

    Thanks for this, Mike!