    people are using it. Small wonder.

    What do others think?

    Bet it lasted longer than ferrit will, though :)
    -=rjh=-, Apr 5, 2006

  2. -=rjh=-

    XPD Guest

    "-=rjh=-" <> wrote in message
    news:44335b6c$...
    > And unfortunately, while I'm pissed off about this, I'm not surprised.
    >
    > I've used ebill since it started, and I think it is a pretty good system;
    > but I have never seen it promoted (that I can recall), ever. Not on TV,
    > not in newspapers. The reason for closing it is that not enough people are
    > using it. Small wonder.
    >
    > What do others think?
    >
    > Bet it lasted longer than ferrit will, though :)

    I signed up when it first appeared but they never got anyone onboard who I
    had to pay... so I never really used it.
    XPD, Apr 5, 2006

  3. -=rjh=-

    Sonn Guest

    On Wed, 05 Apr 2006 17:50:37 +1200, -=rjh=- <> wrote:

    >And unfortunately, while I'm pissed off about this, I'm not surprised.
    >
    >I've used ebill since it started, and I think it is a pretty good
    >system; but I have never seen it promoted (that I can recall), ever. Not
    >on TV, not in newspapers. The reason for closing it is that not enough
    >people are using it. Small wonder.
    >
    >What do others think?
    >
    >Bet it lasted longer than ferrit will, though :)

    Totally agree. Seems there's a niche market waiting for someone who's
    prepared to pick it up and do it properly. Did they even promote
    themselves to prospective payees?

    S.
    Sonn, Apr 5, 2006
  4. -=rjh=-

    Fred Dagg Guest

    On Wed, 05 Apr 2006 17:50:37 +1200, -=rjh=- <>
    exclaimed:

    >And unfortunately, while I'm pissed off about this, I'm not surprised.
    >
    >I've used ebill since it started, and I think it is a pretty good
    >system; but I have never seen it promoted (that I can recall), ever. Not
    >on TV, not in newspapers. The reason for closing it is that not enough
    >people are using it. Small wonder.
    >
    >What do others think?
    >
    >Bet it lasted longer than ferrit will, though :)

    Yep, I was an early adopter, and used it for ages.

    It was put on the backburner when Telecom decided to create their own
    system ("My Telecom") rather than using ebill.

    Was bloody handy, though.
    Fred Dagg, Apr 5, 2006
  5. On Wed, 05 Apr 2006 17:50:37 +1200, someone purporting to be -=rjh=- didst
    scrawl:

    > And unfortunately, while I'm pissed off about this, I'm not surprised.

    *SNIP*

    Was that the company that you could, in theory, pay bills and council
    fees/rates/tickets through?

    --
    Matthew Poole
    "Don't use force. Get a bigger hammer."
    Matthew Poole, Apr 5, 2006
  6. -=rjh=-

    -=rjh=- Guest

    Matthew Poole wrote:
    > On Wed, 05 Apr 2006 17:50:37 +1200, someone purporting to be -=rjh=- didst
    > scrawl:
    >
    >> And unfortunately, while I'm pissed off about this, I'm not surprised.
    >>

    > *SNIP*
    >
    > Was that the company that you could, in theory, pay bills and council
    > fees/rates/tickets through?

    "in theory"?

    The system worked well, never any glitches that I was aware of over the
    past couple of years.

    ======
    "The following 20 organisations in New Zealand currently let you pay
    them using eBill:

    Genesis Energy, Vodafone, TelstraClear, BNZ Global Plus, BNZ Visa &
    MasterCard, TradeMe, Contact Energy, Energy Online, Land Information
    New Zealand, Manukau City Council – Water & Land, Hutt City Council,
    Upper Hutt City Council, Baycorp, New Zealand Post PO Box and Private
    Bags, Trust Power, Wellington Parking Fines, Dunn & Bradstreet, Call
    South, Call Plus Global, 0800 Reconx."
    =========

    Somewhat limited, I'm surprised it never grew to cover more companies.
    -=rjh=-, Apr 5, 2006
  7. "-=rjh=-" <> wrote in message
    > Matthew Poole wrote:
    >> On Wed, 05 Apr 2006 17:50:37 +1200, someone purporting to be -=rjh=-
    >> didst
    >> scrawl:
    >>
    >>> And unfortunately, while I'm pissed off about this, I'm not surprised.
    >>>

    >> *SNIP*
    >>
    >> Was that the company that you could, in theory, pay bills and council
    >> fees/rates/tickets through?
    >>

    > "in theory"?
    >
    > The system worked well, never any glitches that I was aware of over the
    > past couple of years.

    I had *all* my bills going through eBill: credit cards, power, mobile, gas,
    trademe, etc...

    And it wasn't a company, it was free service from NZ Post...

    --

    Mauricio Freitas
    www.geekzone.co.nz, www.geekzone.co.nz/freitasm,
    Mauricio Freitas [MVP], Apr 5, 2006
  8. -=rjh=-

    juicyjuice Guest

    sounds simular to bpay in australia, except bpay is used by all and very
    successful and a standard for bills in oz... even pay your rent with it.

    site is bpay.com.au - but funny thing i just tried.. bpay.co.nz - and it
    points to iinet.net.au lol
    taxing traffic lol

    juicyjuice, Apr 5, 2006
  9. On Wed, 05 Apr 2006 22:08:53 +1200, someone purporting to be -=rjh=- didst
    scrawl:

    > Matthew Poole wrote:
    >> On Wed, 05 Apr 2006 17:50:37 +1200, someone purporting to be -=rjh=- didst
    >> scrawl:
    >>
    >>> And unfortunately, while I'm pissed off about this, I'm not surprised.
    >>>

    >> *SNIP*
    >>
    >> Was that the company that you could, in theory, pay bills and council
    >> fees/rates/tickets through?
    >>

    > "in theory"?

    *SNIP*
    > "The following 20 organisations in New Zealand currently let you pay
    > them using eBill:

    *SNIP*

    20 organisations isn't very many, which was what my "in theory" comment
    was about. A central payment service isn't very useful if it's not hooked
    up with the largest points of contact. I notice that Waitakere, North
    Shore and Auckland city councils aren't in that list, nor is Christchurch.
    Genesis Energy, Vector, MetroWater... You get the picture.

    Matthew Poole, Apr 5, 2006
  10. -=rjh=-

    -=rjh=- Guest

    Mauricio Freitas [MVP] wrote:
    > "-=rjh=-" <> wrote in message
    >> Matthew Poole wrote:
    >>> On Wed, 05 Apr 2006 17:50:37 +1200, someone purporting to be -=rjh=-
    >>> didst
    >>> scrawl:

    >>> *SNIP*
    >>>
    >>> Was that the company that you could, in theory, pay bills and council
    >>> fees/rates/tickets through?
    >>>

    >> "in theory"?
    >>
    >> The system worked well, never any glitches that I was aware of over the
    >> past couple of years.
    >>

    > I had *all* my bills going through eBill: credit cards, power, mobile, gas,
    > trademe, etc...
    >
    > And it wasn't a company, it was free service from NZ Post...

    It was a service from NZ Post, but I have no idea if it was free or not
    (though I doubt it was).

    I think the problem probably is that it was an attempt to diversify
    around paper mail (cheques in envelopes) so there would have been
    internal political issues at NZ Post as to how it should progress, and a
    change of leadership probably decided the issue.

    If this had been a separate company, it might have worked better - I can
    easily imagine that internal politics would have quashed any attempts to
    advertise or grow the service.

    Normally, you'd expect to see this kind of service sold off, but of
    course, NZ Post aren't going to allow that to happen since that would
    create a new competitor; and anyway, they could probably still sell the
    service in other countries.

    But, done right, and promoted correctly, I think this kind of service
    could definitely work here. I really liked it.
    -=rjh=-, Apr 5, 2006
  11. "-=rjh=-" <> wrote in message
    > And unfortunately, while I'm pissed off about this, I'm not surprised.
    >
    > I've used ebill since it started, and I think it is a pretty good system;
    > but I have never seen it promoted (that I can recall), ever. Not on TV,
    > not in newspapers. The reason for closing it is that not enough people are
    > using it. Small wonder.
    >
    > What do others think?
    >
    > Bet it lasted longer than ferrit will, though :)

    I would say, lack of marketing killed it.
    news.xtra.co.nz, Apr 5, 2006