    Their system flags overpriced shipping so there was no need for them
    to charge fees to every single seller. They must make a massive
    profit from this.
    RichA, Sep 5, 2012

  2. RichA

    nospam Guest

    In article
    <>,
    RichA <> wrote:

    > They collect 9% on what you charge the buyer for shipping! As if
    > shipping charges are a profit centre! They said they did this because
    > some sellers were charging (for example) $100.00 shipping and selling
    > items for $1.00 in order to avoid Ebay selling fees.
    > Their system flags overpriced shipping so there was no need for them
    > to charge fees to every single seller.

    except their system didn't always do that. i've seen plenty of products
    with ridiculous shipping fees.

    > They must make a massive profit from this.

    amazingly enough, ebay is a business to make a profit.

    if you don't like it, don't use it.
    nospam, Sep 5, 2012

  3. RichA

    RichA Guest

    On Sep 4, 10:41 pm, nospam <> wrote:
    > In article
    > <>,
    >
    > RichA <> wrote:
    > > They collect 9% on what you charge the buyer for shipping!  As if
    > > shipping charges are a profit centre!  They said they did this because
    > > some sellers were charging (for example) $100.00 shipping and selling
    > > items for $1.00 in order to avoid Ebay selling fees.
    > > Their system flags overpriced shipping so there was no need for them
    > > to charge fees to every single seller.

    > except their system didn't always do that. i've seen plenty of products
    > with ridiculous shipping fees.
    >
    > > They must make a massive profit from this.

    > amazingly enough, ebay is a business to make a profit.
    >
    > if you don't like it, don't use it.

    Probably not going to for anything under $100.00 anymore, and will
    refuse to sell outside of Canada or the U.S. because of the cost of
    shipping and attendant Ebay charges. Not worth it. Besides,
    dedicated (niche) sites are popping up now that cater to selling
    various items, like camera equipment and they don't charge, so the
    only charge will be paypal's cut.
    I've sold some camera stuff on astromart.com (primarily telescopes)
    and they only charge an initial $12 for registration, plus the calibre
    of buyer is FAR better that what is found on Ebay.
    RichA, Sep 5, 2012
  4. RichA

    nospam Guest

    In article
    <>,
    RichA <> wrote:

    > I've sold some camera stuff on astromart.com (primarily telescopes)
    > and they only charge an initial $12 for registration, plus the calibre
    > of buyer is FAR better that what is found on Ebay.

    which means you don't get the morons who bid above what it's worth,
    sometimes even more than what you can pay for one new.
    nospam, Sep 5, 2012
  5. RichA

    nospam Guest

    In article <>, R. Mark Clayton
    <> wrote:

    > >> They must make a massive profit from this.

    > > amazingly enough, ebay is a business to make a profit.

    > Indeed, but is should make a profit from buying and selling, not sneaky
    > hidden fees.

    there's nothing sneaky about it.

    all of their fees are explained on their site and there are even
    websites and apps that can calculate the total amount for you.

    anyone who is surprised by the fees didn't do their homework.

    > > if you don't like it, don't use it.

    > I don't - ever since Paypal became more or less obligatory.

    your loss. sometimes there are some incredible deals to be had, or very
    rare and unusual items that can't be found anywhere else.
    nospam, Sep 5, 2012
  6. RichA

    tony cooper Guest

    On Wed, 5 Sep 2012 12:08:40 +0100, "R. Mark Clayton"
    <> wrote:

    >"nospam" <> wrote in message
    >> In article
    >> <>,
    >> RichA <> wrote:
    >>
    >>> They collect 9% on what you charge the buyer for shipping! As if
    >>> shipping charges are a profit centre! They said they did this because
    >>> some sellers were charging (for example) $100.00 shipping and selling
    >>> items for $1.00 in order to avoid Ebay selling fees.
    >>> Their system flags overpriced shipping so there was no need for them
    >>> to charge fees to every single seller.

    >> except their system didn't always do that. i've seen plenty of products
    >> with ridiculous shipping fees.
    >>
    >>> They must make a massive profit from this.

    >> amazingly enough, ebay is a business to make a profit.

    >Indeed, but is should make a profit from buying and selling, not sneaky
    >hidden fees.

    The fees are so well hidden that they appear in this very post.

    I was not aware that eBay bought or sold anything.
    --
    Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
    tony cooper, Sep 5, 2012
  7. RichA

    Bruce Guest

    RichA <> wrote:

    >They collect 9% on what you charge the buyer for shipping! As if
    >shipping charges are a profit centre! They said they did this because
    >some sellers were charging (for example) $100.00 shipping and selling
    >items for $1.00 in order to avoid Ebay selling fees.
    >Their system flags overpriced shipping so there was no need for them
    >to charge fees to every single seller. They must make a massive
    >profit from this.

    One thing is for sure, it will stop people selling items on eBay at
    unrealistically low prices while charging ridiculously high amounts
    for shipping. This has been a problem on eBay for some time now.

    Question: When you pay $1.00 for an item with a shipping cost of
    $100.00, how much do you get refunded if the item is broken, damaged,
    incomplete or otherwise not as described?

    Answer: You get $1.00.

    That had to stop.
    Bruce, Sep 5, 2012
  8. RichA

    nospam Guest

    In article <>, Bruce
    <> wrote:

    > One thing is for sure, it will stop people selling items on eBay at
    > unrealistically low prices while charging ridiculously high amounts
    > for shipping. This has been a problem on eBay for some time now.

    it still is.

    there are still items for sale with absurd shipping fees, and i haven't
    noticed a decrease at all. fortunately, it's the exception, not the
    rule.

    > Question: When you pay $1.00 for an item with a shipping cost of
    > $100.00, how much do you get refunded if the item is broken, damaged,
    > incomplete or otherwise not as described?
    >
    > Answer: You get $1.00.

    answer: it depends.

    it's actually up to the seller whether to refund shipping and in my
    experience, the full amount will be refunded. i've had 3 refunds in the
    last couple of years, and they all included shipping.

    of course, you'll have to pay to ship it back to them. that part is not
    covered.
    nospam, Sep 5, 2012
  9. RichA

    nospam Guest

    In article <>, Rich
    <> wrote:

    > No, you have far more problems getting sub-$100 buyers to pay, defaults can
    > run 20%.

    bullshit. it's nowhere near that high.
    nospam, Sep 6, 2012
  10. RichA

    Trevor Guest

    "Bruce" <> wrote in message
    > One thing is for sure, it will stop people selling items on eBay at
    > unrealistically low prices while charging ridiculously high amounts
    > for shipping. This has been a problem on eBay for some time now.
    >
    > Question: When you pay $1.00 for an item with a shipping cost of
    > $100.00, how much do you get refunded if the item is broken, damaged,
    > incomplete or otherwise not as described?
    >
    > Answer: You get $1.00.
    >
    > That had to stop.

    Right, and you think it would stop through people refusing to take such a
    chance. Apparently some people are their own worst enemies.

    Trevor.
    Trevor, Sep 6, 2012
  11. Re: Ebay's most MASSIVE scam yet! (Final value fees on shippingcharges!!)

    R. Mark Clayton <> wrote:
    > "tony cooper" <> wrote in message

    >> I was not aware that eBay bought or sold anything.

    > Like any other auctioneer - no they sell other peoples' goods - doh!

    Actually, nope. They act as a broker between the seller and
    the buyer. They don't sell, they don't buy, they don't handle
    goods --- they are paid for brokering.

    -Wolfgang
    Wolfgang Weisselberg, Sep 9, 2012
  12. Re: Ebay's most MASSIVE scam yet! (Final value fees on shippingcharges!!)

    R. Mark Clayton <> wrote:
    > "Wolfgang Weisselberg" <> wrote in message
    >> R. Mark Clayton <> wrote:

    >>> Like any other auctioneer - no they sell other peoples' goods - doh!

    >> Actually, nope. They act as a broker between the seller and
    >> the buyer. They don't sell, they don't buy, they don't handle
    >> goods --- they are paid for brokering.

    > Dear oh dear, they may be a declared agent, but they do the selling: -

    > 1. Are the goods offered for sale on Ebay's web site? - A - yes.
    > 2. Are offers of acceptance made to Ebay? A - yes

    > Therefore the contract to buy is made with Ebay.

    | If you make a commitment to buy or your bid is the winning
    | bid or is otherwise accepted, you enter into a legally
    | binding contract with the seller and are obligated to
    | purchase the item
    http://pages.ebay.com/help/policies/user-agreement.html

    I guess Ebay's TOS overrule you. But go ahead, buy something via
    Ebay and then demand your buyer's rights being fulfilled by Ebay,
    say if you got sent the wrong product order Ebay to send you the
    right one.

    Try that in a court of law.

    > It is exactly anamolous to a regular auction - the auctioneer sells the
    > goods and the buyers make offers to him. I suppose you could say the man
    > with the hammer was acting as a broker, but I don't think so.

    With Ebay you see the goods offered on your own computer.
    With Ebay you type your offer into your own computer.
    Therefore the contract to buy is with your computer! (Your logic)

    > A broker, e.g. a stock broker is a person who buys or sells something for
    > you - so you would instruct your broker to buy or sell stock. He would
    > contact various wholesalers (stock jobbers) or even other brokers on your
    > behalf and carry out the deal for you. Similarly an insurance broker buys
    > insurance for you, although they take commission from the underwriters.

    So when my insurance broker makes me an offer of some insurance
    from a third party, say on his website, and I call him and say
    I want that insurance, then the contract for that insurance is
    made with my insurance broker.

    -Wolfgang
    Wolfgang Weisselberg, Sep 14, 2012