eBay to buy Skype in $2.6bn deal

Discussion in 'VOIP' started by Vox Humana, Sep 12, 2005.

  1. Vox Humana

    Vox Humana Guest

    eBay to buy Skype in $2.6bn deal

    Online auction site eBay has agreed to buy internet telephone company Skype
    Technologies in a $2.6bn (£1.4bn) deal.
    eBay said it would pay half the amount in cash and the other half in stocks
    to create "an unparalleled e-commerce and communications engine".

    Skype's software lets PC users talk to each other for free and make
    cut-price calls to mobiles and landlines.

    Other players in the online phone market include computer giants such as
    Google, Microsoft, AOL and Yahoo.

    Google recently launched its Talk service, while Microsoft purchased leading
    player Teleo for an undisclosed sum.

    Technology used by Skype, and rivals such as Vonage, converts phone
    conversations into packets of data and transmits them down the same wires
    used to surf the internet.

    'Powerful environment'

    "Communications is at the heart of e-commerce and community," said eBay
    chief executive Meg Whitman.

    "By combining the two leading e-commerce franchises, eBay and PayPal, with
    the leader in internet voice communications, we will create an
    extraordinarily powerful environment for business on the net."

    The company said the move would "strengthen eBay's global marketplace and
    payments platform, while opening several new lines of business".

    Skype chief executive Niklas Zennstrom, who will join eBay's senior
    management team, said the deal would help "revolutionise the ease with which
    people can communicate through the internet".

    Using Voice over Internet Protocol (VoIP) services, computer users can talk
    to each other via a headset or microphone and speakers.

    Cheap calls to landlines and mobile phones are also possible. Some systems
    allow users to plug their traditional phones into a desktop box that allows
    them to make VoIP calls.

    Growth market?

    Skype has 53 million registered users and says more than two million people
    are using its software at any given moment.

    Since it was introduced in 2003, the free program has been downloaded more
    than 151 million times.

    The company does not release earnings figures.

    Vonage, the largest internet phone company, has nearly one million
    subscribers who pay a monthly fee of $25 to use it.

    eBay has been buying up firms - including payment system PayPal - in an
    effort to increase the number of services it offers consumers and keep its
    profits growing.

    Media reports have speculated that as well as looking to tap into the
    growing internet phone market, eBay is also attracted by the idea of letting
    its buyers and sellers talk to each other via their computers.

    Story from BBC NEWS:
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/pr/fr/-/1/hi/business/4237338.stm

    Published: 2005/09/12 11:33:06 GMT
    Vox Humana, Sep 12, 2005

  2. Vox Humana

    Dmitri Guest

    Vox Humana wrote:

    > eBay to buy Skype in $2.6bn deal

    > Online auction site eBay has agreed to buy internet telephone company
    > Skype
    > Technologies in a $2.6bn (£1.4bn) deal.
    > eBay said it would pay half the amount in cash and the other half in
    > stocks
    > to create "an unparalleled e-commerce and communications
    > engine".

    Great news! We can now bid on Skype-out minutes.
    Just kidding.

    This is definitely going to re-shape the VoIP landscape.

    --
    Dmitri Abaimov, RCDD
    http://www.cabling-design.com

    http://www.cabling-design.com/forum
    Dmitri, Sep 12, 2005

  3. Vox Humana

    dg Guest

    Probably not a bad move, but man is it hard for me to really see the gain
    from buying a company like that for $2.6 bil. Obviously (to me) voip is
    going to be huge, buying skype is surely to cut out the competition as it
    sure doesn't seem like it would take that much money to build a company with
    the same technical capabilities. Who would have thought ebay would be what
    it is today, I sure didn't see it becoming THIS big.

    Now they have to do something about google and their interest in voip.
    Aren't they scheming something up?

    --Dan

    dg, Sep 13, 2005
  4. dg wrote:

    > Probably not a bad move, but man is it hard for me to really see the gain
    > from buying a company like that for $2.6 bil. Obviously (to me) voip is
    > going to be huge, buying skype is surely to cut out the competition as it
    > sure doesn't seem like it would take that much money to build a company
    > with
    > the same technical capabilities. Who would have thought ebay would be

    Maybe to repeat the Skype success takes good luck also :)
    Some wrong decisions here and there - and you are number 2 and out.
    Or trapped in a small niche.

    The train may have left....

    reinert

    Reinert Korsnes, Sep 15, 2005