Ebay-taking the best pics of clothing laid flat

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by robert, Jun 3, 2005.

  1. robert

    robert Guest

    http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y15/andy905/vivids/puma/22052005/101_3747.j
    pg
    http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y15/andy905/vivids/puma/22052005/101_3751.j
    pg

    The above two pics demonstrate the problem i'm having. Both have been taken
    in the same place at roughly the same time with the same camera.
    I use a 2mp kodak camera with a flash. I use the flash.
    I'm getting to point now on ebay where its becoming quite serious so i need
    to sort my pictures out. I ideally dont want results like the ones above
    although if they all came out like the second link id be happy.
    I've tried doing a bit of reading up but the only tip i really picked up was
    to use diffused light and not to use a flash. How do i artifically create
    diffused light?
    I'm thinking of turning the corner of my bedroom into a studio. What sort of
    material should i use for the floor to get the best results. I've used
    wooden flooring in the past and this gives good results. Anyone suggest
    anything different?
    Cheers for any help

    robert, Jun 3, 2005

  2. On Friday 03 June 2005 08:19, robert wrote:

    http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y15/andy905/vivids/puma/22052005/101_3747.j
    > pg

    http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y15/andy905/vivids/puma/22052005/101_3751.j
    > pg
    >
    > The above two pics demonstrate the problem i'm having. Both have been
    > taken in the same place at roughly the same time with the same camera.
    > I use a 2mp kodak camera with a flash. I use the flash.
    > I'm getting to point now on ebay where its becoming quite serious so i
    > need to sort my pictures out. I ideally dont want results like the
    > ones above although if they all came out like the second link id be
    > happy. I've tried doing a bit of reading up but the only tip i really
    > picked up was to use diffused light and not to use a flash. How do i
    > artifically create diffused light?
    > I'm thinking of turning the corner of my bedroom into a studio. What
    > sort of material should i use for the floor to get the best results.
    > I've used wooden flooring in the past and this gives good results.
    > Anyone suggest anything different?
    > Cheers for any help

    Buy or make a lighting tent. This is what it sounds like -- a tent --
    of white, translucent fabric -- parachute nylon is good -- that you
    surround the object being photographed leaving only an opening for the
    camera. A couple or 3 or 4 lights, depending on how big the tent is,
    are placed outside the tent to even illuminate the interior with
    "soft," directionless light. You also use the tent outside with direct
    sunlight as the light source.

    For the "floor" and background for your product, use Seamless Background
    Paper. It comes in rolls of 4, 9 or 12 feet wide in many colors
    including white. It's available at most art and photo supply stores.

    Look for books on Product or Tabletop lighting techniques for the
    details.

    There are companies that make lighting tents, if you don't want to make
    one yourself.

    --
    Stefan Patric
    NoLife Polymath Group

    Stefan Patric, Jun 3, 2005

  3. robert

    Steven Guest

    On Fri, 03 Jun 2005 15:19:56 GMT, "robert"
    <> wrote:

    >http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y15/andy905/vivids/puma/22052005/101_3747.j
    >pg
    >http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y15/andy905/vivids/puma/22052005/101_3751.j
    >pg
    >
    >The above two pics demonstrate the problem i'm having. Both have been taken
    >in the same place at roughly the same time with the same camera.
    >I use a 2mp kodak camera with a flash. I use the flash.
    >I'm getting to point now on ebay where its becoming quite serious so i need
    >to sort my pictures out. I ideally dont want results like the ones above
    >although if they all came out like the second link id be happy.
    >I've tried doing a bit of reading up but the only tip i really picked up was
    >to use diffused light and not to use a flash. How do i artifically create
    >diffused light?
    >I'm thinking of turning the corner of my bedroom into a studio. What sort of
    >material should i use for the floor to get the best results. I've used
    >wooden flooring in the past and this gives good results. Anyone suggest
    >anything different?
    >Cheers for any help

    For one I would either shoot them hanging or on a mankin. for diffused
    light I would use flood lights behind white sheets. To make the "soft
    boxes" I would construct I frame 2ft by 4 ft (or any combo you like
    the bigger the more coverage area you have) and stretch the sheets
    tight over the frame. you can use one layer or as many as you want to
    achive the diffusion you need.

    LordFlash

    Steven, Jun 3, 2005
  4. robert

    Paul Furman Guest

    robert wrote:

    [fixed links]
    <http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y15/andy905/vivids/puma/22052005/101_3747.jpg>
    <http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y15/andy905/vivids/puma/22052005/101_3751.jpg>

    Hoo boy those are ugly (sorry). Consider using a model and crop out
    their face and hand if they prefer. I tried some sweaters flat and
    hanging and they all looked pretty bad empty:
    http://www.edgehill.net/1/?SC=go.php&DIR=Misc/dahwinstudio/yarn
    Maybe you'll get some clue what not to do or something <g>.

    > The above two pics demonstrate the problem i'm having. Both have been taken
    > in the same place at roughly the same time with the same camera.
    > I use a 2mp kodak camera with a flash. I use the flash.
    > I'm getting to point now on ebay where its becoming quite serious so i need
    > to sort my pictures out. I ideally dont want results like the ones above
    > although if they all came out like the second link id be happy.
    > I've tried doing a bit of reading up but the only tip i really picked up was
    > to use diffused light and not to use a flash. How do i artifically create
    > diffused light?

    Corner windows and or skylight with thin white drapes & a tripod if
    there isn't enough light remaining. Also a big white board for
    reflecting sun light works well.

    --
    Paul Furman
    http://www.edgehill.net/1

    Paul Furman, Jun 3, 2005
  5. robert

    robert Guest

    "Paul Furman" <> wrote in message
    > robert wrote:
    >
    > [fixed links]

    <http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y15/andy905/vivids/puma/22052005/101_3747.
    jpg>

    <http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y15/andy905/vivids/puma/22052005/101_3751.
    jpg>

    > Hoo boy those are ugly (sorry). Consider using a model and crop out
    > their face and hand if they prefer. I tried some sweaters flat and
    > hanging and they all looked pretty bad empty:
    > http://www.edgehill.net/1/?SC=go.php&DIR=Misc/dahwinstudio/yarn
    > Maybe you'll get some clue what not to do or something <g>.
    >

    > > The above two pics demonstrate the problem i'm having. Both have been

    taken
    > > in the same place at roughly the same time with the same camera.
    > > I use a 2mp kodak camera with a flash. I use the flash.
    > > I'm getting to point now on ebay where its becoming quite serious so i

    need
    > > to sort my pictures out. I ideally dont want results like the ones above
    > > although if they all came out like the second link id be happy.
    > > I've tried doing a bit of reading up but the only tip i really picked up

    was
    > > to use diffused light and not to use a flash. How do i artifically

    create
    > > diffused light?

    > Corner windows and or skylight with thin white drapes & a tripod if
    > there isn't enough light remaining. Also a big white board for
    > reflecting sun light works well.
    >

    > > I'm thinking of turning the corner of my bedroom into a studio. What

    sort of
    > > material should i use for the floor to get the best results. I've used
    > > wooden flooring in the past and this gives good results. Anyone suggest
    > > anything different?
    > > Cheers for any help

    I bought a manaquin but found i'd need a manaquin for each type of item. For
    example a mans tracky top looks crap on my manaquin yet the tees look great.
    Hanging them up i reckon looks rubbish. I sell loads of different items so
    editing them could become time consuming and finding someone to model them
    wouldn't always be convenient.
    Cheers for the tips about the light

    robert, Jun 3, 2005
  6. robert

    robert Guest

    "robert" <> wrote in message

    > "Paul Furman" <> wrote in message
    > > robert wrote:
    > >
    > > [fixed links]

    <http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y15/andy905/vivids/puma/22052005/101_3747.
    > jpg>

    <http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y15/andy905/vivids/puma/22052005/101_3751.
    > jpg>
    > >

    > > Hoo boy those are ugly (sorry). Consider using a model and crop out
    > > their face and hand if they prefer. I tried some sweaters flat and
    > > hanging and they all looked pretty bad empty:
    > > http://www.edgehill.net/1/?SC=go.php&DIR=Misc/dahwinstudio/yarn
    > > Maybe you'll get some clue what not to do or something <g>.
    > >

    > > > The above two pics demonstrate the problem i'm having. Both have been

    > taken
    > > > in the same place at roughly the same time with the same camera.
    > > > I use a 2mp kodak camera with a flash. I use the flash.
    > > > I'm getting to point now on ebay where its becoming quite serious so i

    > need
    > > > to sort my pictures out. I ideally dont want results like the ones

    above
    > > > although if they all came out like the second link id be happy.
    > > > I've tried doing a bit of reading up but the only tip i really picked

    up
    > was
    > > > to use diffused light and not to use a flash. How do i artifically

    > create
    > > > diffused light?

    > > Corner windows and or skylight with thin white drapes & a tripod if
    > > there isn't enough light remaining. Also a big white board for
    > > reflecting sun light works well.
    > >

    > > > I'm thinking of turning the corner of my bedroom into a studio. What

    > sort of
    > > > material should i use for the floor to get the best results. I've used
    > > > wooden flooring in the past and this gives good results. Anyone

    suggest
    > > > anything different?
    > > > Cheers for any help
    > > >

    > I bought a manaquin but found i'd need a manaquin for each type of item.

    For
    > example a mans tracky top looks crap on my manaquin yet the tees look

    great.
    > Hanging them up i reckon looks rubbish. I sell loads of different items so
    > editing them could become time consuming and finding someone to model them
    > wouldn't always be convenient.
    > Cheers for the tips about the light

    Heres my ebay stuff if you need to see more pics.
    http://stores.ebay.co.uk/ViVid-Clothing

    robert, Jun 3, 2005
  7. In article <>, Steven
    <dfw$> wrote:

    > On Fri, 03 Jun 2005 15:19:56 GMT, "robert"
    > <> wrote:
    >
    > >http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y15/andy905/vivids/puma/22052005/101_3747.j
    > >pg
    > >http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y15/andy905/vivids/puma/22052005/101_3751.j
    > >pg
    > >
    > >The above two pics demonstrate the problem i'm having. Both have been taken
    > >in the same place at roughly the same time with the same camera.
    > >I use a 2mp kodak camera with a flash. I use the flash.
    > >I'm getting to point now on ebay where its becoming quite serious so i need
    > >to sort my pictures out. I ideally dont want results like the ones above
    > >although if they all came out like the second link id be happy.
    > >I've tried doing a bit of reading up but the only tip i really picked up was
    > >to use diffused light and not to use a flash. How do i artifically create
    > >diffused light?
    > >I'm thinking of turning the corner of my bedroom into a studio. What sort of
    > >material should i use for the floor to get the best results. I've used
    > >wooden flooring in the past and this gives good results. Anyone suggest
    > >anything different?
    > >Cheers for any help
    > >

    > For one I would either shoot them hanging or on a mankin. for diffused
    > light I would use flood lights behind white sheets. To make the "soft
    > boxes" I would construct I frame 2ft by 4 ft (or any combo you like
    > the bigger the more coverage area you have) and stretch the sheets
    > tight over the frame. you can use one layer or as many as you want to
    > achive the diffusion you need.
    >
    > LordFlash

    I was thinking the same thing wrt a mannequin or model. Look in
    catalogs to get an idea for how they shoot their stuff. You coule even
    crop to remove the face if you are concerned about putting a face in an
    eBay ad. But look at some of the stuff folks are doing on eBay these
    days with models... using attractive models to sell all kinds of stuff
    that don't even need models.

    The light boxes are a good idea. Depending on what you use for the
    light source, you may want to adjust the white balance of your camera.
    I bought a simple 15% fray card at my local camera shop to set up my
    white balance when shooting volleyball indoors. Made a HUGE difference
    in how much post processing I had to do.

    Steve Cutchen, Jun 3, 2005
  8. robert

    Sheldon Guest

    "robert" <> wrote in message
    > http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y15/andy905/vivids/puma/22052005/101_3747.j
    > pg
    > http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y15/andy905/vivids/puma/22052005/101_3751.j
    > pg
    >
    > The above two pics demonstrate the problem i'm having. Both have been
    > taken
    > in the same place at roughly the same time with the same camera.
    > I use a 2mp kodak camera with a flash. I use the flash.
    > I'm getting to point now on ebay where its becoming quite serious so i
    > need
    > to sort my pictures out. I ideally dont want results like the ones above
    > although if they all came out like the second link id be happy.
    > I've tried doing a bit of reading up but the only tip i really picked up
    > was
    > to use diffused light and not to use a flash. How do i artifically create
    > diffused light?
    > I'm thinking of turning the corner of my bedroom into a studio. What sort
    > of
    > material should i use for the floor to get the best results. I've used
    > wooden flooring in the past and this gives good results. Anyone suggest
    > anything different?
    > Cheers for any help

    Looks like all you need is more light. I would get a couple of lights and
    hit the item from both sides, moving the lights around to get a few shadows
    for texture. Just be sure to set your white balance to match the lights.
    Some other ideas are to find a better spot in your house to shoot from, hang
    them against a wall, and/or, instead of a tent, use a white piece of poster
    board to reflect light back onto the object. This may require another
    person.

    If you do this a lot then as others have suggested a light tent might be a
    good investment or project to build, or you can use photographic umbrellas
    with your lights to diffuse them.

    Sheldon, Jun 3, 2005
  9. robert

    Frank ess Guest

    Paul Furman wrote:
    > robert wrote:
    >
    > [fixed links]
    > <http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y15/andy905/vivids/puma/22052005/101_3747.jpg>
    > <http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y15/andy905/vivids/puma/22052005/101_3751.jpg>
    >

    > Hoo boy those are ugly (sorry). Consider using a model and crop out
    > their face and hand if they prefer. I tried some sweaters flat and
    > hanging and they all looked pretty bad empty:
    > http://www.edgehill.net/1/?SC=go.php&DIR=Misc/dahwinstudio/yarn
    > Maybe you'll get some clue what not to do or something <g>.

    <snip>

    Thanks for the fix, Paul.

    Yes, not to my taste, either; however, they gotta be moved, right?

    I'm a frequent eBay buyer, and photos are important to me because they
    are worth a thousand words, descriptionly speaking.

    It's critical that the color as represented in the photo be very close
    to the item as delivered. I was never less inclined to accept a
    "sorry" as when after some back and forth about a "unique" color, the
    item arrived and was exactly the same as one I'd had for months. His
    picture was lavender, the item was baby blue. Far from unique.

    So, I suggest you get a setup that works in that regard. Take the time
    and be meticulous once, and you'll be set for the duration.

    I kind of disagree with the diffused, even lighting concept. Even flat
    stuff has depth that contibutes significant information. I'd be
    tempted to light like for a portrait: main light to one side and
    stronger than a fill. Diffused uneven may work well.

    When I was photographing model display cabinets I set up a strong
    (hot!) halogen shop light on an old tripod, clamped a sheet of
    styrofoam packing material (about two feet square) to it on a wire
    clothes-hanger arrangement so the light was bounced toward the cabinet
    from 30 degrees above and 45 degrees left of center. A second such
    arrangement, about twice as distant at 45 degrees right of center
    yielded good modelling.

    The two lamps' power cords were plugged in to a common socket
    controlled by a remote switch. Sliding the tripods around made it easy
    to see the effects of the light, and there was enough to allow
    hand-holding with good depth of field and sharpness. It took
    relatively little time for the original setup, even less for
    subsequent episodes, and negligible time to tear down and store.

    On the subject of modelling, you might do well to think of the salient
    attributes of the clothing, and arrange the items to display them to
    advantage. Your second hooded Puma seems to have a hand-warmer pocket,
    not obvious one way or another on my monitor. Sticking one sleeve in
    it could be worthwhile. It might obviate some questions and attendant
    emails.

    --
    Frank ess

    Frank ess, Jun 3, 2005
  10. robert

    Tee Guest

    I find white or black matboard to work really well for the majority of ebay
    items. Used under and behind and item it creates a nondistracting blank
    slate.

    On the subject of modelling I think that can work either way. I,
    personally, won't buy something from ebay that I see on someone else's body
    in a picture. I don't know the person, their hygiene and often times body
    shape plays a role (negatively) in how any article of clothing will look on.
    It might not look great on the model but would look great on the buyer and
    vice versa.

    Manequins work well when the right size is used but I doubt you want to buy
    several of those. You don't want a women's size 6 manequin and hang a
    women's size 12 article of clothing on it because it'll just sag all over.

    I'd recommend as blank a slate as possible to setup your items, as best an
    angle you can achieve, and where possible, use a manufacturer's picture of
    an item and put your own pic next to it so you get the catalog quality but
    are also providing an actual representation of what you have onhand. I've
    also switched to taking most of my Ebay pics outside on a sheet laid over
    the lawn because of the bright lighting. If its too bright its often easier
    to adjust color for less brightness and/or contrast in an image editor like
    Photoshop or Paint Shop Pro while retaining .jpg quality than it is to
    lighten something and retain quality...at least IME.

    --
    Tara

    Tee, Jun 3, 2005
  11. robert

    Guest

    Steven wrote:
    >For one I would either shoot them hanging or on a >mankin.

    You won't get decent photos of clothing any other way. Look at BIG
    eBay clothing sellers - and you'll notice they all use either manikins
    or hangers, and most all use manikins.
    This isn't like tools or cameras - stuff you really can take good
    photos (for eBay selling) of on the counter. Stuff like tools or
    cameras just require an image giving the general idea of what items
    look like. Dresses and suits don't work that way.

    See the http://stores.ebay.com/INTERNET-GUN-SHOW

    , Jun 4, 2005
  12. robert

    Stewy Guest

    In article <wy_ne.112$>,
    "robert" <> wrote:

    > http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y15/andy905/vivids/puma/22052005/101_3747.j
    > pg
    > http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y15/andy905/vivids/puma/22052005/101_3751.j
    > pg
    >
    > The above two pics demonstrate the problem i'm having. Both have been taken
    > in the same place at roughly the same time with the same camera.
    > I use a 2mp kodak camera with a flash. I use the flash.
    > I'm getting to point now on ebay where its becoming quite serious so i need
    > to sort my pictures out. I ideally dont want results like the ones above
    > although if they all came out like the second link id be happy.
    > I've tried doing a bit of reading up but the only tip i really picked up was
    > to use diffused light and not to use a flash. How do i artifically create
    > diffused light?
    > I'm thinking of turning the corner of my bedroom into a studio. What sort of
    > material should i use for the floor to get the best results. I've used
    > wooden flooring in the past and this gives good results. Anyone suggest
    > anything different?
    > Cheers for any help

    If they're all hooded garments, have you considered trying to make a
    wire framework (maybe with metal coat hangers) and suspending the
    garment vertically? If you photograph from one end of the room the
    blurring behind should help.

    Another idea is to use the lasso tool to make a rough outline of the
    garment, feather and darken the carpet color.

    Stewy, Jun 4, 2005
  13. robert

    <> wrote:

    >http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y15/andy905/vivids/puma/22052005/101_3747.j
    >pg
    >http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y15/andy905/vivids/puma/22052005/101_3751.j
    >pg
    >
    >The above two pics demonstrate the problem i'm having. Both have been taken
    >in the same place at roughly the same time with the same camera.
    >I use a 2mp kodak camera with a flash. I use the flash.
    >I'm getting to point now on ebay where its becoming quite serious so i need
    >to sort my pictures out. I ideally dont want results like the ones above
    >although if they all came out like the second link id be happy.
    >I've tried doing a bit of reading up but the only tip i really picked up was
    >to use diffused light and not to use a flash. How do i artifically create
    >diffused light?
    >I'm thinking of turning the corner of my bedroom into a studio. What sort of
    >material should i use for the floor to get the best results. I've used
    >wooden flooring in the past and this gives good results. Anyone suggest
    >anything different?
    >Cheers for any help

    Seems my first one didnt make it.

    You should use a mankin or tack them to a wall and even iron them so
    they look pretty. To make light diffused use a white sheet in a frame
    any size with do. but you have to have even coverage behind the white
    sheet or it looks like spots.

    LordFlash

    Steven, Jun 6, 2005