Ebay survey...genuine or not ?

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by michael turner, May 19, 2004.

  1. Just received an email claiming to be some kind of Ebay survey. And I was
    wondering if it was kosher or some kind of scam.

    The full email follows:
    ---------------

    **Please note. Because of the way some email is processed by your service
    provider, this survey invitation may be displayed on your computer before
    our original email response. Please scan your current emails for our
    original response. Thanks!**

    Dear eBay Community member,

    On 05/17/04 I replied to the email message you sent on 05/16/04. As part
    of eBay's commitment to excellence, I want to make sure I met your needs
    in my response.
    Would you please take a minute to answer a few questions to let me know
    how
    I did?

    http://ebay.benchmarkportal.com/ebay/survey.taf?survey_id=159&user_id=10090732***

    To respond to our survey, please click on the web address above. If that
    does not work, please cut and paste the entire web address into the
    address field of your browser. NOTE: Please respond within five days so
    that you can provide timely feedback to me. AFTER 5 DAYS, THIS INVITATION
    WILL EXPIRE.

    If you wish to take the survey anonymously, click the link below:

    http://ebay.benchmarkportal.com/ebay/survey.taf?survey_id=159&user_id=10090732***&anon=yes

    Thank you for your help!

    eBay Customer Support

    ** An important note from the survey vendor **

    In order to process your survey, we must collect personal information from
    you that are protected by worldwide data protection laws. BenchmarkPortal
    and its international group of partners are committed to compliance with
    all laws. We have taken the necessary steps to ensure that we meet the
    obligations required by country-specific legislation and the EU Directive
    on Personal Data Privacy. By providing your Authorisation below, you are
    allowing us to collect, process, access, and/or transport your data to a
    worldwide website located in Santa Maria USA. This website will be
    accessible to selected Benchmark Portal’s employees worldwide and our
    client eBay.

    All individuals with access rights have been educated on data privacy laws
    and the use of personal data, and have signed Confidential Non-Disclosure
    Statements holding them accountable for compliance.

    Your data will be used for the purpose of personalising our content
    delivery and services to meet your individual needs based on the
    information provided on our surveys. Our customised approach of providing
    focused information based on the personal data you provide, will be
    embraced by BenchmarkPortal and our client eBay.

    Benchmark Portal will not supply your data to any third party without your
    explicit Authorisation.

    A copy of our Privacy Principles is available for your review. For further
    information regarding our detailed Global Data Protection Policy, please
    click here: http://ebay.benchmarkportal.com/bmp_survey_priv.pdf .

    For further information on eBay's Privacy Policy, click here:
    http://pages.ebay.co.uk/help/community/png-priv.html .

    If you want to be excluded from future surveys and survey correspondence,
    please click below:

    http://ebay.benchmarkportal.com/ebay/opt_out.taf?id=10090732***

    -------------

    All the links except one, are to this "benchmarkportal.com" domain and
    NOT Ebay.

    I haven't clicked on any of the (obfuscated in this post)
    "159&user_id=10090732***" URLs in case they're some kind of affiliate
    tracker, tracer, email recipiant confirmation for spammers, etc.

    Who is "benchmarkportal.com" ? their web-site don't appear to be Ebay
    related.

    --
    Michael Turner
    Email (ROT13)
    michael turner, May 19, 2004

  2. michael turner

    Cpt.Nemo Guest

    NOT.

    Cpt.Nemo, May 19, 2004

  3. michael turner

    Boomer Guest

    Boomer, May 19, 2004
  4. michael turner

    Richard Guest

    michael turner wrote:

    > Just received an email claiming to be some kind of Ebay survey. And I was
    > wondering if it was kosher or some kind of scam.

    Ok. No harm being done here. The survey asks a series of questions based on
    your previous answer.
    Personally, I find this kind of thing totally stupid.
    Cincinnati Bell would call you 3 days after you called them for any reason
    and the first question was always, "Why did you call?"
    Huh? Don't you people know that all ready?
    From the questions I saw it appeared that the survey was just some idiot
    designer's way of wasting time and space and making the boss think he was on
    the job.
    It serves no real purpose.
    The answers to the questions should already be known to them.
    Total waste of time and space.
    Richard, May 19, 2004
  5. michael turner

    Plato Guest

    Plato, May 19, 2004
  6. michael turner

    Plato Guest

    Richard wrote:

    > Ok. No harm being done here. The survey asks a series of questions based on

    You're verifying to the smammer that you are silly enough to read AND
    click on links in spam email, thus you get on the "A" list which sells
    for a premium and will result in tons more spam. Same thing happens if
    you buy something from a telemarketer on the phone.

    --
    http://www.bootdisk.com/
    Plato, May 19, 2004
  7. On Wed, 19 May 2004 12:00:07 -0500, Plato wrote:

    > michael turner wrote:
    >>
    >> http://ebay.benchmarkportal.com/ebay/survey.taf?survey_id=159&user_id=100232272332***

    > 1. I hope you can tell from the URL that's its not an ebay site.

    I did, hence my comment 'All the links except one, are to this
    "benchmarkportal.com" domain and NOT Ebay'.

    > 2. When you see a userID=292939339 in a URL it means the sender is
    > getting credit and/or commission for every dweeb that clicks the link.

    That's what I thought...and I did NOT click on them.

    > 3. Why dont you just delete spam and not even read it?

    It's the first spam I've had in months. And as I'm a registered user on
    Ebay, registered with the same email addy that the spam was sent to. I
    wanted a second opinion from this group. Which I got...and I give a
    thankyou to everyone who commented. :))

    --
    Michael Turner
    Email (ROT13)
    michael turner, May 20, 2004
  8. On Tue, 18 May 2004 21:20:23 -0500, Richard wrote:

    > michael turner wrote:
    >
    > > Just received an email claiming to be some kind of Ebay survey. And I was
    > > wondering if it was kosher or some kind of scam.

    > Ok. No harm being done here. The survey asks a series of questions based on
    > your previous answer.

    I never gave a "previous answer" to anyone. The email was sent
    unsolicited, which made me suspicious.

    --
    Michael Turner
    Email (ROT13)
    michael turner, May 20, 2004
  9. michael turner

    SgtMinor Guest

    michael turner wrote:

    > Just received an email claiming to be some kind of Ebay survey. And I was
    > wondering if it was kosher or some kind of scam.

    <snip>

    > By providing your Authorisation below, you are
    > allowing us to collect, process, access, and/or transport your data to a
    > worldwide website located in Santa Maria USA.

    eBay is an American company, and in Amurrica we write "authorization."
    American cities are rarely, if ever, referred to by an American writer
    as, say, "Chicago, United States." It's "Chicago, Illinois," and the
    City/State protocol is the same for every other city.

    Whenever I've received a spoofed email (and I've gotten them from eBay
    and PayPal) there's almost always a major spelling error or typo, or
    some stupid reference like "Santa Maria USA." Maybe it's a legal
    requirement.
    SgtMinor, May 20, 2004
  10. michael turner

    reid decker Guest

    The other day, I got an email, purportedly from Ebay, and which
    requested my credit card number along with other personal info. Well, good
    luck getting it...I don't give that out on the web.

    reid decker, May 24, 2004