? ebay scam

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Don Frost, May 23, 2005.

  1. Don Frost

    Don Frost Guest

    An old friend received this today, is it a scam? Sorry about the html
    format, but couldn't figure out how to change it! I left off what came after
    this message, it was a seemingly basic ebay webpage.
    He is using XP home sp2.
    I advised him to just delete and block sender, but when they mention credit
    cards and such he got very worried.
    Thanks in advance.
    Don

    EBAY SECURITY CENTER
    Dear customer. Please read this message and follow it's instructions

    Unauthorized Account Access

    We recently reviewed your account, and we suspect an unauthorized ATM based
    transaction on your account. Therefore as a preventive measure we have
    temporary limited your access to sensitive features.

    To get started, please click the link below:

    Don Frost, May 23, 2005

  2. Don Frost wrote:
    > An old friend received this today, is it a scam? Sorry about the html
    > format, but couldn't figure out how to change it! I left off what came after
    > this message, it was a seemingly basic ebay webpage.
    > He is using XP home sp2.
    > I advised him to just delete and block sender, but when they mention credit
    > cards and such he got very worried.
    > Thanks in advance.
    > Don
    >

    > EBAY SECURITY CENTER
    > Dear customer. Please read this message and follow it's instructions
    >
    > Unauthorized Account Access
    >
    > We recently reviewed your account, and we suspect an unauthorized ATM based
    > transaction on your account. Therefore as a preventive measure we have
    > temporary limited your access to sensitive features.
    >

    > To get started, please click the link below:

    Do NOT post HTML shit to text only groups, even if you think you have a
    good reason. The message you posted is plain-jane, everyday eBay spoof.
    It's a scam and there's a quadzillion of these being sent out every day.

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=, May 23, 2005

  3. Don Frost

    Don Frost Guest

    > Don Frost wrote:
    >> An old friend received this today, is it a scam? Sorry about the html
    >> format, but couldn't figure out how to change it! I left off what came
    >> after this message, it was a seemingly basic ebay webpage.
    >> He is using XP home sp2.
    >> I advised him to just delete and block sender, but when they mention
    >> credit cards and such he got very worried.
    >> Thanks in advance.
    >> Don
    >>

    >> EBAY SECURITY CENTER
    >> Dear customer. Please read this message and follow it's instructions
    >>
    >> Unauthorized Account Access
    >>
    >> We recently reviewed your account, and we suspect an unauthorized ATM
    >> based transaction on your account. Therefore as a preventive measure we
    >> have temporary limited your access to sensitive features.
    >>

    >> To get started, please click the link below:

    > Do NOT post HTML shit to text only groups, even if you think you have a
    > good reason. The message you posted is plain-jane, everyday eBay spoof.
    > It's a scam and there's a quadzillion of these being sent out every day.

    I'm very sorry, this is my first newsgroup question (and probably my last!!)
    But thank you for your answer, I suspected as much.
    Don

    Don Frost, May 23, 2005
  4. Don Frost wrote:
    >>Don Frost wrote:
    >>
    >>>An old friend received this today, is it a scam? Sorry about the html
    >>>format, but couldn't figure out how to change it! I left off what came
    >>>after this message, it was a seemingly basic ebay webpage.
    >>>He is using XP home sp2.
    >>>I advised him to just delete and block sender, but when they mention
    >>>credit cards and such he got very worried.
    >>>Thanks in advance.
    >>>Don
    >>>

    >>>EBAY SECURITY CENTER
    >>>Dear customer. Please read this message and follow it's instructions
    >>>
    >>>Unauthorized Account Access
    >>>
    >>>We recently reviewed your account, and we suspect an unauthorized ATM
    >>>based transaction on your account. Therefore as a preventive measure we
    >>>have temporary limited your access to sensitive features.
    >>>

    >>>To get started, please click the link below:

    >>Do NOT post HTML shit to text only groups, even if you think you have a
    >>good reason. The message you posted is plain-jane, everyday eBay spoof.
    >>It's a scam and there's a quadzillion of these being sent out every day.

    > I'm very sorry, this is my first newsgroup question (and probably my last!!)
    > But thank you for your answer, I suspected as much.

    You're welcome. Don't feel you have to stay away, just feel it's better
    to post in plain text. And have a thick hide.

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=, May 23, 2005
  5. Don Frost

    Guest

    On Mon, 23 May 2005 04:50:43 GMT, "Don Frost" <>
    wrote:

    |>An old friend received this today, is it a scam? Sorry about the html
    |>format, but couldn't figure out how to change it! I left off what came after
    |>this message, it was a seemingly basic ebay webpage.
    |>He is using XP home sp2.
    |>I advised him to just delete and block sender, but when they mention credit
    |>cards and such he got very worried.
    |>Thanks in advance.
    |>Don
    |>

    |>EBAY SECURITY CENTER
    |>Dear customer. Please read this message and follow it's instructions
    |>
    |>Unauthorized Account Access

    http://www.honeynet.org/papers/bots/

    This is related to #10 Mass identity theft.

    --

    , May 23, 2005
  6. Don Frost

    Don Frost Guest

    > You're welcome. Don't feel you have to stay away, just feel it's better
    > to post in plain text. And have a thick hide.

    Point taken Roger, thanks very much for your help,
    Don

    Don Frost, May 23, 2005
  7. Don Frost

    Don Frost Guest

    > This is related to #10 Mass identity theft.

    I'm lost pennywise. what is #10 identity theft?
    don

    Don Frost, May 23, 2005
  8. Don Frost wrote:
    >>This is related to #10 Mass identity theft.

    > I'm lost pennywise. what is #10 identity theft?
    > don

    Click on his link, look about 1/4 way down the page at #10.

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=, May 23, 2005
  9. No, it is NOT a scam (Was Re: ? ebay scam)

    "Don Frost" <> wrote in message
    > An old friend received this today, is it a scam? Sorry about the html
    > format, but couldn't figure out how to change it! I left off what came
    > after this message, it was a seemingly basic ebay webpage.
    > He is using XP home sp2.
    > I advised him to just delete and block sender, but when they mention
    > credit cards and such he got very worried.
    > Thanks in advance.
    > Don
    >

    > EBAY SECURITY CENTER
    > Dear customer. Please read this message and follow it's instructions
    >
    > Unauthorized Account Access
    >
    > We recently reviewed your account, and we suspect an unauthorized ATM
    > based transaction on your account. Therefore as a preventive measure we
    > have temporary limited your access to sensitive features.
    >

    > To get started, please click the link below:

    [snip]

    Despite all the security warnings available directly from Ebay and despite
    all common sense (you do know about common sense, right?) and everything
    else, this email is *definitely not* a scam and your friend should
    immediately NOT log on to a known good eBay address but SHOULD INSTEAD log
    in to the URL supplied to him/her via an email that begins with "Dear
    Customer."

    How fucking STUPID are you? How STUPID is your friend?

    Oxford Systems, May 23, 2005
  10. Re: No, it is NOT a scam (Was Re: ? ebay scam)

    > How fucking STUPID are you? How STUPID is your friend?

    And how foul mouthed and rude mannered. Someone posted earlier about needing
    a thick hide to post to a news group...I think all it needs is manners
    between people. Do you not realise that some people are newbies to
    Newsgroups, Ebay, Computing etc etc?? And aren't fresh off a MCSE!!

    Her Royal Highness, May 23, 2005
  11. Re: No, it is NOT a scam (Was Re: ? ebay scam)

    "Her Royal Highness" <> wrote in message

    >> How fucking STUPID are you? How STUPID is your friend?
    >>

    > And how foul mouthed and rude mannered. Someone posted earlier about
    > needing a thick hide to post to a news group...I think all it needs is
    > manners between people. Do you not realise that some people are newbies to
    > Newsgroups, Ebay, Computing etc etc?? And aren't fresh off a MCSE!!

    Your *Highness* this is the Internet and in particular this is 24hours where
    posters are dogged out on a routine basis. ;-)

    Duane :)

    Hate K-CSC Duane ;-\), May 23, 2005
  12. Don Frost

    ellis_jay Guest

    Don Frost wrote:
    >> This is related to #10 Mass identity theft.

    > I'm lost pennywise. what is #10 identity theft?
    > don

    One block over from Downey Street.

    Ellis_jay

    ellis_jay, May 23, 2005
  13. Don Frost

    ellis_jay Guest

    Don Frost wrote:
    > An old friend received this today, is it a scam? Sorry about the html
    > format, but couldn't figure out how to change it!

    In OE6 go to
    tools
    options
    send tab
    check box appropriately in news part of menu
    apply
    ok

    You should do the same for the mail part
    and in the security tab put a check in "DO NOT OPEN ATTACHMENTS' or words
    to that effect, which will protect you from something you can't wash off.

    > I left off what
    > came after this message, it was a seemingly basic ebay webpage.
    > He is using XP home sp2.
    > I advised him to just delete and block sender, but when they mention
    > credit cards and such he got very worried.
    > Thanks in advance.
    > Don
    >

    > EBAY SECURITY CENTER

    Ellis_jay

    ellis_jay, May 23, 2005
  14. Don Frost

    P and K Guest

    "Hate K-CSC Duane ;-\)" <> wrote:

    > "Her Royal Highness" <> wrote in message
    > > >
    > >> How fucking STUPID are you? How STUPID is your friend?
    > >>

    > > And how foul mouthed and rude mannered. Someone posted earlier about
    > > needing a thick hide to post to a news group...I think all it needs is
    > > manners between people. Do you not realise that some people are newbies to
    > > Newsgroups, Ebay, Computing etc etc?? And aren't fresh off a MCSE!!

    > Your *Highness* this is the Internet and in particular this is 24hours where
    > posters are dogged out on a routine basis. ;-)
    >
    > Duane :)

    me too.

    --

    =======
    ///// \\\\\

    P K

    P and K, May 23, 2005
  15. Re: No, it is NOT a scam (Was Re: ? ebay scam)

    On May 23, 2005, Her Royal Highness wrote in
    24hoursupport.helpdesk:

    >> How fucking STUPID are you? How STUPID is your friend?
    >>

    > And how foul mouthed and rude mannered. Someone posted earlier
    > about needing a thick hide to post to a news group...I think all
    > it needs is manners between people. Do you not realise that some
    > people are newbies to Newsgroups, Ebay, Computing etc etc?? And
    > aren't fresh off a MCSE!!

    **** you, **** your high horse, and **** your manners. And **** a bunch
    of newbies.

    --
    Arnold P. Furshlugginer

    The Old Sourdough, May 24, 2005
  16. Re: No, it is NOT a scam (Was Re: ? ebay scam)

    The Old Sourdough wrote:

    > On May 23, 2005, Her Royal Highness wrote in
    > 24hoursupport.helpdesk:

    >>> How fucking STUPID are you? How STUPID is your friend?

    >> And how foul mouthed and rude mannered. Someone posted earlier
    >> about needing a thick hide to post to a news group...I think all
    >> it needs is manners between people. Do you not realise that some
    >> people are newbies to Newsgroups, Ebay, Computing etc etc?? And
    >> aren't fresh off a MCSE!!

    > **** you, **** your high horse, and **** your manners. And **** a bunch
    > of newbies.

    Sounds like a helluva party. Is there an open bar, too?

    Oh, and you can have the horse all to yourself. :)

    --
    Blinky T. "I say 'nay'" Shark

    Blinky the Shark, May 24, 2005