    If there really is a genuine firm called eBay, do they know this scam is
    going on?

    Geopelia
    geopelia, Nov 14, 2004

  2. geopelia

    Old Gringo Guest

    geopelia wrote:
    > Is anyone else getting spam emails from something called eBay? They keep
    > asking me to verify my account (which I don't have) and the latest trick,
    > presumable to get my credit card number, is to say someone is making
    > fraudulent purchases in my name! They can't even spell "appreciate" in their
    > form email, so I'm not falling for it.
    > I'm not replying to any of their junk, and I've passed them on to xtra's
    > spam department (my ISP). I just wondered how widespread this scam is.
    >
    > If there really is a genuine firm called eBay, do they know this scam is
    > going on?
    >
    > Geopelia

    ebay is real and hordes of scamers use them as bait.
    http://www.ebay.com real company. Internet sales.

    --
    Old Gringo George
    Just West Of Nowhere
    Old Gringo, Nov 14, 2004

  3. geopelia

    Gort Guest

    geopelia wrote:
    > Is anyone else getting spam emails from something called eBay? They keep
    > asking me to verify my account (which I don't have) and the latest trick,
    > presumable to get my credit card number, is to say someone is making
    > fraudulent purchases in my name! They can't even spell "appreciate" in their
    > form email, so I'm not falling for it.
    > I'm not replying to any of their junk, and I've passed them on to xtra's
    > spam department (my ISP). I just wondered how widespread this scam is.
    >
    > If there really is a genuine firm called eBay, do they know this scam is
    > going on?
    >
    > Geopelia

    Yes, there is; and Yes, they know about the scam... and Yes, it IS a
    scam. DO NOT give any information whatsoever.

    e-Bay is a reputable "auction house", and does not indulge in any type
    of e-mail solicitations.

    ( No, I'm not "with" them in any way.)

    inappropriate, or disruptive, please ignore it. If you don't know
    how to ignore a posting,complain to me and I will demonstrate.
    Gort, Nov 14, 2004
  4. geopelia

    Toolman Tim Guest

    Yes, Geopelia, there *is* an eBay. And a Citibank. And a Capital One. And a
    Washington Mutual. And dozens (hundreds?) of others that are being "phished"
    for information.

    Rogue programmers are spamming people with false websites and trying to get
    people to put their financial information in their system so they can steal
    your identity (or at least your money).

    At least you had the sense to ask before you offered any personal info...

    Toolman Tim, Nov 14, 2004
  5. geopelia

    Bob Johnson Guest

    Geopelia,

    There most assuredly IS a company called ebay. You can find out about
    them at www.ebay.com . They are a great company! The emails you are
    receiving are not from them at all, only imposters. Ebay will never
    ask for any of your vital information via email.

    The fact that there are spelling errors in these emails is yet more
    proof that they are probably originating from teenagers who fancy
    themselves hackers.

    It IS a pretty widespread scam because ebay is a very widespread
    company. I'm sure some of these scams have been successful because
    people were not smart enough to question them as you wisely did.

    You will probably never rid yourself completely of such spam email.
    The best thing you can do is block them and report them as you have
    probably already done.

    Ebay is constantly working on reports from members who are receiving
    these emails, but the threat will never be entirely neutralized.

    -Bob

    Bob Johnson, Nov 14, 2004
  6. geopelia

    doS Guest

    You just fall off the turnip truck?

    doS, Nov 14, 2004
  7. geopelia

    Steve Guest

    "geopelia" <> wrote in message
    > Is anyone else getting spam emails from something called eBay? They
    > keep
    > asking me to verify my account (which I don't have) and the latest
    > trick,
    > presumable to get my credit card number, is to say someone is making
    > fraudulent purchases in my name! They can't even spell "appreciate" in
    > their
    > form email, so I'm not falling for it.
    > I'm not replying to any of their junk, and I've passed them on to
    > xtra's
    > spam department (my ISP). I just wondered how widespread this scam is.
    >
    > If there really is a genuine firm called eBay, do they know this scam
    > is
    > going on?

    You've never heard of ebay!!! ???
    http://pages.ebay.com/education/spooftutorial/
    Steve, Nov 14, 2004
  8. geopelia

    geopelia Guest

    Thanks to all for your very helpful replies. Just another scam as I
    suspected.

    Geopelia
    geopelia, Nov 14, 2004
  9. Steve wrote:

    > "geopelia" <> wrote in message

    >> If there really is a genuine firm called eBay, do they know this scam

    > You've never heard of ebay!!! ???

    So I'm not alone in being thoroughly amazed that someone could be online
    (or read the newspaper, or watch television, or listen to radio) and not
    know about eBay. Crissakes, even the AOLers know about eBay. (Yes, I
    know they do...I asked them. <g>)

    --
    Blinky Linux Registered User 297263

    Go Blue -- beat Ohio State and it's off to the Rose Bowl again.
    Blinky the Shark, Nov 14, 2004
  10. geopelia

    sethra Guest

    "geopelia" <> wrote in

    [snip]
    > If there really is a genuine firm called eBay, do they know this scam
    > is going on?

    Yes:

    http://www.ebay.com

    Please forward the email, including all the headers, to ebay to help
    combat this type of fraud. Send it to the abuse address at the
    originating ISP as well if you can decipher the headers.

    From the ebay site:
    1. Forward the message to .
    2. Don't alter the subject line or forward the message as an attachment -
    doing so prevents us from investigating it further.
    3. Once you have forwarded the email, you can then delete it from your
    email account.

    --
    ~sethra
    sethra, Nov 14, 2004
  11. geopelia

    sethra Guest

    Blinky the Shark <> wrote in

    > Steve wrote:
    >
    >> "geopelia" <> wrote in message

    >>> If there really is a genuine firm called eBay, do they know this
    >>> scam

    >> You've never heard of ebay!!! ???

    > So I'm not alone in being thoroughly amazed that someone could be
    > online (or read the newspaper, or watch television, or listen to
    > radio) and not know about eBay. Crissakes, even the AOLers know about
    > eBay. (Yes, I know they do...I asked them. <g>)

    Well, the AOLers may have been lying.

    --
    ~sethra
    sethra, Nov 14, 2004
  12. sethra wrote:
    > Blinky the Shark <> wrote in

    >> Steve wrote:

    >>> You've never heard of ebay!!! ???

    >> So I'm not alone in being thoroughly amazed that someone could be
    >> online (or read the newspaper, or watch television, or listen to
    >> radio) and not know about eBay. Crissakes, even the AOLers know about
    >> eBay. (Yes, I know they do...I asked them. <g>)

    > Well, the AOLers may have been lying.

    Nah...they're too naive. That's why they're on AOL.

    Blinky the Shark, Nov 14, 2004
  13. geopelia wrote:
    > Is anyone else getting spam emails from something called eBay? They
    > keep asking me to verify my account (which I don't have) and the
    > latest trick, presumable to get my credit card number, is to say
    > someone is making fraudulent purchases in my name! They can't even
    > spell "appreciate" in their form email, so I'm not falling for it.
    > I'm not replying to any of their junk, and I've passed them on to
    > xtra's spam department (my ISP). I just wondered how widespread this
    > scam is.
    >
    > If there really is a genuine firm called eBay, do they know this scam
    > is going on?
    >
    > Geopelia

    WHAT?! Are you for real?! You're living in a 1st World country (I assume)
    with a computer, internet access and, I assume, a TV and radio and you have
    *NOT* heard of eBay?!

    Where have you been living?! The world's deepest cave?!

    lose his marbles?
    Miss Perspicacia Tick, Nov 15, 2004
  14. Blinky the Shark wrote:
    > Steve wrote:
    >
    >> "geopelia" <> wrote in message

    >>> If there really is a genuine firm called eBay, do they know this
    >>> scam

    >> You've never heard of ebay!!! ???

    > So I'm not alone in being thoroughly amazed that someone could be
    > online (or read the newspaper, or watch television, or listen to
    > radio) and not know about eBay. Crissakes, even the AOLers know
    > about eBay. (Yes, I know they do...I asked them. <g>)

    My sentiments exactly.
    lose his marbles?
    Miss Perspicacia Tick, Nov 15, 2004
  15. geopelia

    ~Joanne420~ Guest

    AOL? What is that?

    ~Joanne420~, Nov 15, 2004
  16. geopelia

    doS Guest

    harrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

    doS, Nov 15, 2004
  17. geopelia

    geopelia Guest

    > geopelia wrote:
    > > Is anyone else getting spam emails from something called eBay? They
    > > keep asking me to verify my account (which I don't have) and the
    > > latest trick, presumable to get my credit card number, is to say
    > > someone is making fraudulent purchases in my name! They can't even
    > > spell "appreciate" in their form email, so I'm not falling for it.
    > > I'm not replying to any of their junk, and I've passed them on to
    > > xtra's spam department (my ISP). I just wondered how widespread this
    > > scam is.
    > >
    > > If there really is a genuine firm called eBay, do they know this scam
    > > is going on?
    > >
    > > Geopelia

    Here's a coincidence. NetGuide, a New Zealand computer magazine, has a piece
    about "eBay worm is spreading".
    page 24, December edition issue 93
    I've just spotted it. I don't know if the worm is in the spam I was talking
    about, though.
    sBay seems to be some sort of on line auction.

    Geopelia
    geopelia, Nov 15, 2004
  18. geopelia

    geopelia Guest

    "sethra" <> wrote in message
    > "geopelia" <> wrote in
    >
    > [snip]
    > > If there really is a genuine firm called eBay, do they know this scam
    > > is going on?

    > Yes:
    >
    > http://www.ebay.com
    >
    > Please forward the email, including all the headers, to ebay to help
    > combat this type of fraud. Send it to the abuse address at the
    > originating ISP as well if you can decipher the headers.
    >
    > From the ebay site:
    > 1. Forward the message to .
    > 2. Don't alter the subject line or forward the message as an attachment -
    > doing so prevents us from investigating it further.
    > 3. Once you have forwarded the email, you can then delete it from your
    > email account.
    >
    > --
    > ~sethra

    Thank you, I'll do that. I've already sent it to xtra's spamreport.
    Geopelia
    geopelia, Nov 15, 2004
  19. geopelia

    Toolman Tim Guest

    "geopelia" <> wrote in message

    | "Miss Perspicacia Tick" <> wrote in message
    | > geopelia wrote:
    | > > Is anyone else getting spam emails from something called eBay? They
    | > > keep asking me to verify my account (which I don't have) and the
    | > > latest trick, presumable to get my credit card number, is to say
    | > > someone is making fraudulent purchases in my name! They can't even
    | > > spell "appreciate" in their form email, so I'm not falling for it.
    | > > I'm not replying to any of their junk, and I've passed them on to
    | > > xtra's spam department (my ISP). I just wondered how widespread this
    | > > scam is.
    | > >
    | > > If there really is a genuine firm called eBay, do they know this scam
    | > > is going on?
    | > >
    | > > Geopelia
    | >

    | Here's a coincidence. NetGuide, a New Zealand computer magazine, has a
    piece
    | about "eBay worm is spreading".
    | page 24, December edition issue 93
    | I've just spotted it. I don't know if the worm is in the spam I was
    talking
    | about, though.
    | sBay seems to be some sort of on line auction.
    |
    | Geopelia

    Yes, G, the *worm* you got in the spam email is probably the eBay worm
    NetGuide is talking about. Read and learn...there are many other scams being
    run along the same lines. eBay, and the other companies being targeted in
    these scams, is legitimate.
    Toolman Tim, Nov 15, 2004
  20. I was walking down the street, minding my own business, when on Mon,
    15 Nov 2004 09:05:50 +1300, "geopelia" <> screamed
    from behind the mulberry bush:

    >Is anyone else getting spam emails from something called eBay? They keep
    >asking me to verify my account (which I don't have) and the latest trick,
    >presumable to get my credit card number, is to say someone is making
    >fraudulent purchases in my name! They can't even spell "appreciate" in their
    >form email, so I'm not falling for it.
    >I'm not replying to any of their junk, and I've passed them on to xtra's
    >spam department (my ISP). I just wondered how widespread this scam is.

    Pretty fucking extensive, I'd say but do let us know if you get an
    e-mail from some Nigerian fellows or some "Lottery Officials."

    >If there really is a genuine firm called eBay, do they know this scam is
    >going on?

    Yes. Then again, it probably be too much a bother to put in
    www.ebay.com to find out what it is, would it?

    Dr Harvie Wahl-Banghor
    Dr. Harvie Wahl-Banghor, Nov 15, 2004