Ebay phishing,

Discussion in 'Computer Security' started by nethere20@hotmail.com, Jun 28, 2006.

  1. Guest

    Hello,

    After logging-on to the sell items page on Ebay, a phishing prompt is
    asking for credit card information. How can I remove this prompt from
    my account?


    Thank-you
     
    , Jun 28, 2006
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. WindsorFox Guest

    wrote:
    > Hello,
    >
    > After logging-on to the sell items page on Ebay, a phishing prompt is
    > asking for credit card information. How can I remove this prompt from
    > my account?
    >
    >
    > Thank-you
    >


    Don't worry, the person in Korea that you gave your login and
    password to will remove it in a few days.

    --
    You sent our DNS provider an
    advertisement to your eyesore of a website - David Cary Hart
     
    WindsorFox, Jun 29, 2006
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. wrote:
    > After logging-on to the sell items page on Ebay,


    Based on what you say after that,
    I think at that point you have already been fooled.

    > a phishing prompt is asking for credit card information.
    > How can I remove this prompt from my account?


    Why not ask ebay?
    (N.A.N-A.E is certailnly not the right place to ask.)

    Try this, turn off your PC, unplug it, put it in the trash
    dumpster, problem solved.


    --
    E-Mail Sent to this address <>
    will be added to the BlackLists.
     
    E-Mail Sent to this address will be added to the B, Jun 29, 2006
    #3
  4. wrote:
    > After logging-on to the sell items page on Ebay, a phishing prompt is
    > asking for credit card information. How can I remove this prompt from
    > my account?


    Seems like writing to the ebay support folk would have a better chance
    than posting to an abuse-by-email news group.

    --
    Requiescas in pace o email

    Ex turpi causa non oritur actio

    http://members.cox.net/larrysheldon/
     
    Laurence F. Sheldon, Jr., Jun 29, 2006
    #4
  5. Guest

    E-Mail Sent to this address will be added to the BlackLists wrote:
    > wrote:
    > > After logging-on to the sell items page on Ebay,

    >
    > Based on what you say after that,
    > I think at that point you have already been fooled.
    >
    > > a phishing prompt is asking for credit card information.
    > > How can I remove this prompt from my account?

    >
    > Why not ask ebay?
    > (N.A.N-A.E is certailnly not the right place to ask.)
    >
    > Try this, turn off your PC, unplug it, put it in the trash
    > dumpster, problem solved.
    >

    Okay, I amused at tech. humor too. There is a time to be funny and
    there is a time to be well........serious!
    Since many people have received phishing scams, and are looking to this
    newsgroup for answers, can anybody please be specific on how to
    "get-rid" of phishing prompts?

    I had forwarded the "phishing link" to Ebay, and they only sent a
    "generic response" that said the link was a fraudulent attack on my
    Ebay Account. Reported the link to www.antiphishing.org.

    >Thanks
    > --
    > E-Mail Sent to this address <>
    > will be added to the BlackLists.
     
    , Jun 29, 2006
    #5
  6. None Guest

    On Wed, 2006-06-28 at 20:42 -0700, wrote:
    > E-Mail Sent to this address will be added to the BlackLists wrote:
    > > wrote:
    > > > After logging-on to the sell items page on Ebay,

    > >
    > > Based on what you say after that,
    > > I think at that point you have already been fooled.
    > >
    > > > a phishing prompt is asking for credit card information.
    > > > How can I remove this prompt from my account?

    > >
    > > Why not ask ebay?
    > > (N.A.N-A.E is certailnly not the right place to ask.)
    > >
    > > Try this, turn off your PC, unplug it, put it in the trash
    > > dumpster, problem solved.
    > >

    > Okay, I amused at tech. humor too. There is a time to be funny and
    > there is a time to be well........serious!
    > Since many people have received phishing scams, and are looking to this
    > newsgroup for answers, can anybody please be specific on how to
    > "get-rid" of phishing prompts?
    >
    > I had forwarded the "phishing link" to Ebay, and they only sent a
    > "generic response" that said the link was a fraudulent attack on my
    > Ebay Account. Reported the link to www.antiphishing.org.
    >
    > >Thanks
    > > --
    > > E-Mail Sent to this address <>
    > > will be added to the BlackLists.

    >


    You need to be a bit more specific. Logging on how to eBay?

    >From a bookmarked link?





    --
    No virus found in this incoming message.
    Checked by AVG Free Edition.
    Version: 7.1.394 / Virus Database: 268.9.6/378 - Release Date: 28/06/2006


    --
    Posted via a free Usenet account from http://www.teranews.com
     
    None, Jun 29, 2006
    #6
  7. Rick Merrill Guest

    wrote:
    ...........serious!
    > Since many people have received phishing scams, and are looking to this
    > newsgroup for answers, can anybody please be specific on how to
    > "get-rid" of phishing prompts?


    "get-rid" of the phishers - there does not appear to be a way to do that
    short of a-bombing N.Korea, Paris, and China where they come from.

    "prompts" is a peculiar term - if you are seeing 'prompts' then you have
    already clicked on the 'link' - I hear there are now add ons to your
    browser that flag phony sites.
     
    Rick Merrill, Jun 29, 2006
    #7
  8. HeyBub Guest

    wrote:
    > Hello,
    >
    > After logging-on to the sell items page on Ebay, a phishing prompt is
    > asking for credit card information. How can I remove this prompt from
    > my account?


    You have malware (virus, trojan, spybot, something) infesting your computer.
    There are umpity-ump, free, cleaning and prevention tools available.
     
    HeyBub, Jun 29, 2006
    #8
  9. Guest

    None wrote:
    > On Wed, 2006-06-28 at 20:42 -0700, wrote:
    > > E-Mail Sent to this address will be added to the BlackLists wrote:
    > > > wrote:
    > > > > After logging-on to the sell items page on Ebay,
    > > >
    > > > Based on what you say after that,
    > > > I think at that point you have already been fooled.
    > > >
    > > > > a phishing prompt is asking for credit card information.
    > > > > How can I remove this prompt from my account?
    > > >
    > > > Why not ask ebay?
    > > > (N.A.N-A.E is certailnly not the right place to ask.)
    > > >
    > > > Try this, turn off your PC, unplug it, put it in the trash
    > > > dumpster, problem solved.
    > > >

    > > Okay, I amused at tech. humor too. There is a time to be funny and
    > > there is a time to be well........serious!
    > > Since many people have received phishing scams, and are looking to this
    > > newsgroup for answers, can anybody please be specific on how to
    > > "get-rid" of phishing prompts?
    > >
    > > I had forwarded the "phishing link" to Ebay, and they only sent a
    > > "generic response" that said the link was a fraudulent attack on my
    > > Ebay Account. Reported the link to www.antiphishing.org.
    > >
    > > >Thanks
    > > > --
    > > > E-Mail Sent to this address <>
    > > > will be added to the BlackLists.

    > >

    >
    > You need to be a bit more specific. Logging on how to eBay?
    >

    After logging-on to Ebay account, and clicking the 'SELL' Tab on Ebay,
    a prompt appears asking for 'credit card' information.

    > >From a bookmarked link?

    >
    >
    >
    >
    > --
    > No virus found in this incoming message.
    > Checked by AVG Free Edition.
    > Version: 7.1.394 / Virus Database: 268.9.6/378 - Release Date: 28/06/2006
    >
    >
    > --
    > Posted via a free Usenet account from http://www.teranews.com
     
    , Jun 29, 2006
    #9
  10. None Guest

    On Thu, 2006-06-29 at 12:36 -0700, wrote:
    > None wrote:
    > > On Wed, 2006-06-28 at 20:42 -0700, wrote:
    > > > E-Mail Sent to this address will be added to the BlackLists wrote:


    > You need to be a bit more specific. Logging on how to eBay?
    > >

    > After logging-on to Ebay account, and clicking the 'SELL' Tab on Ebay,
    > a prompt appears asking for 'credit card' information.
    >
    > > >From a bookmarked link?


    It would seem best that you enter in the http://www.ebay.com manually
    and not used a bookmarked link and scan and clean your computer, as
    others have suggested, with a virus scanner and spyware/malware/ad
    scanner program



    --
    Posted via a free Usenet account from http://www.teranews.com
     
    None, Jun 30, 2006
    #10
  11. None wrote:

    > On Thu, 2006-06-29 at 12:36 -0700, wrote:
    > > None wrote:
    > > > On Wed, 2006-06-28 at 20:42 -0700, wrote:
    > > > > E-Mail Sent to this address will be added to the BlackLists
    > > > > wrote:

    >
    > > You need to be a bit more specific. Logging on how to eBay?
    > > >

    > > After logging-on to Ebay account, and clicking the 'SELL' Tab on
    > > Ebay, a prompt appears asking for 'credit card' information.
    > >
    > > > >From a bookmarked link?

    >
    > It would seem best that you enter in the http://www.ebay.com manually
    > and not used a bookmarked link and scan and clean your computer, as
    > others have suggested, with a virus scanner and spyware/malware/ad
    > scanner program


    Ok, this is just a "what if" here, and in this day and age I'd be
    REALLY wary, but....

    A couple years ago when I first started out at eBay I signed up with my
    Visa check card, and when I changed banks about a year later it was of
    course no longer valid. And I of course forgot to change my eBay
    information, so when I made one of my (infrequent) sales it looked to
    eBay like I was trying to stiff them sorta. I too was directed to the
    user information page. But not as a "pop up" like the OP is
    describing. Like I said that was a number of years ago though.

    As recent as two months ago I had a similar trouble on Orbitz trying to
    book a flight (first time there). The card I'd been using other places
    on the net was accepted when I filled out my account information, but
    when I went to actually buy the tickets it couldn't be processed. I
    never found out what the exact problem was, I used a different card to
    buy the tickets, but I followed the advice on the error page and
    contacted that bank, and they issued a new card like they weren't
    surprised in the least. The point is I got redirected because of some
    legitimate problem with an otherwise valid card.

    So just MAYBE the OP needs to double check his credit card balance or
    call his bank if that's not an issue. I think there's certain things
    about certain cards that aren't kosher with some places, and an account
    "glitch" could certainly cause eBay to ask for a better way to get
    their cut. ;-)

    Just some things to think about. Like I said, with all the phishing and
    shit going on I'd be VERY cautious. Like you suggested, punch in the
    eBay address manually instead of following a link, and then go to your
    personal information page yourself and check. That would seem to lessen
    the chances of being redirected or hijacked into some scam site.
     
    Borked Pseudo Mailed, Jun 30, 2006
    #11
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. Replies:
    21
    Views:
    1,279
    Aaron J. Bossig
    Feb 12, 2005
  2. Bit Twister

    Newest round of Ebay phishing

    Bit Twister, May 30, 2005, in forum: Computer Security
    Replies:
    8
    Views:
    443
    Vanguard
    May 31, 2005
  3. Bigbazza
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    2,730
    Bigbazza
    Oct 16, 2007
  4. Bigbazza

    ebay ebay ebay

    Bigbazza, Oct 16, 2007, in forum: Computer Support
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    838
    Bigbazza
    Oct 16, 2007
  5. JC

    Phishing on Ebay

    JC, May 31, 2005, in forum: NZ Computing
    Replies:
    1
    Views:
    329
    DoggNZ
    May 31, 2005
Loading...

Share This Page