Ebay Loaded With Asian Bootleg DVDs

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by so57th, Oct 27, 2005.

  1. so57th

    so57th Guest

    I was looking to buy some DVDs on eBay and was amazed at the low
    prices. Then I looked at the auction descriptions.

    They are all from asia and the description states:

    "You're bidding on a Brand New & Region 1 DVD , this item have been
    open for inspection and repackaging with DVD sleeves but without DVD
    standard case."

    Yeah, right. "Me so horny, Me luv you long time."
    They open sealed DVDs for "inspection". Toss the
    case. Then put it in a sleeve which I assume they print themselves.

    I'm getting a wee bit tired of searching through all the asian
    bootlegs to find factory originals.

    I guess there is no way eBay is going to do anything about it,
    because it would cut their DVD listings to less than 50% if
    they banned asian bootlegs.

    so57th, Oct 27, 2005

  2. so57th

    Invid Fan Guest

    In article <>,
    so57th <> wrote:

    > I was looking to buy some DVDs on eBay and was amazed at the low
    > prices. Then I looked at the auction descriptions.
    >
    > They are all from asia and the description states:
    >
    > "You're bidding on a Brand New & Region 1 DVD , this item have been
    > open for inspection and repackaging with DVD sleeves but without DVD
    > standard case."
    >
    > Yeah, right. "Me so horny, Me luv you long time."
    > They open sealed DVDs for "inspection". Toss the
    > case. Then put it in a sleeve which I assume they print themselves.

    I don't see why they bother to do this, when you can buy cheap "legal
    there, illegal here" HK dvd's with comercial packaging. Those are the
    ones listed as being region 0 with Chinese subtitles.

    > I'm getting a wee bit tired of searching through all the asian
    > bootlegs to find factory originals.

    Factory originals are best found at actual stores. Nowadays it's rare
    you'll actually see an individual selling a used item on Ebay, it's all
    comercial sellers.

    > I guess there is no way eBay is going to do anything about it,
    > because it would cut their DVD listings to less than 50% if
    > they banned asian bootlegs.

    If companies say something then they erase them (once saw a purge of
    Roger Waters bootlegs from all sellers on Ebay). Illegal copies are
    easier to ban then imported asian versions, though.

    -'Deal/No Deal', CHESS

    Invid Fan, Oct 27, 2005

  3. so57th

    Draven Guest

    "so57th" <> wrote in message
    >I was looking to buy some DVDs on eBay and was amazed at the low
    > prices. Then I looked at the auction descriptions.
    >
    > They are all from asia and the description states:
    >
    > "You're bidding on a Brand New & Region 1 DVD , this item have been
    > open for inspection and repackaging with DVD sleeves but without DVD
    > standard case."
    >
    > Yeah, right. "Me so horny, Me luv you long time."
    > They open sealed DVDs for "inspection". Toss the
    > case. Then put it in a sleeve which I assume they print themselves.
    >
    > I'm getting a wee bit tired of searching through all the asian
    > bootlegs to find factory originals.
    >
    > I guess there is no way eBay is going to do anything about it,
    > because it would cut their DVD listings to less than 50% if
    > they banned asian bootlegs.

    I don't bother anymore and just buy from commercial sites and shops.

    Draven, Oct 27, 2005