    the two companies said"

    Regards
    Sunil

    Sunil Sood, Sep 12, 2005

  2. Sunil Sood

    Mark Guest

    On 12 Sep 2005 04:33:45 -0700, "Sunil Sood"
    <> wrote:

    >Have to say I am suprised that this deal has actually happened but it
    >has..
    >
    >"EBay said it plans to pay $1.3 billion in cash and $1.3 billion in
    >stock for the Web communications company. It would make a further
    >payout of up to $1.5 billion by 2008 or 2009 if financial targets are
    >met, giving the deal a total value of up to $4.1 billion, executives of
    >the two companies said"

    Yes it looks like a huge gamble for a reportedly struggling eBay
    business.
    --
    Mark

    Mark, Sep 12, 2005

  3. Sunil Sood

    alexd Guest

    Sunil Sood wrote:

    > Have to say I am suprised that this deal has actually happened but it
    > has..
    >
    > "EBay said it plans to pay $1.3 billion in cash and $1.3 billion in
    > stock for the Web communications company. It would make a further
    > payout of up to $1.5 billion by 2008 or 2009 if financial targets are
    > met, giving the deal a total value of up to $4.1 billion, executives of
    > the two companies said"

    I must admit I'm utterly mystified by this particular deal. eBay could have
    developed 100 VoIP systems in-house 100 times over with $4.1bn, so why on
    earth have they bought Skype? eBay must have more brand-recognition [and
    let's not forget, branding is what its about, cos none of these VoIP
    providers, offer much more than any of their competitors (except Sipgate of
    course ;-)] than Skype does. eBay probably has more page impressions than
    even the mighty BBC, so marketing reach isn't a problem for them. It also
    has a massive database of user IDs already set up, waiting to be slotted in
    and used ["Download our softphone and log in with your eBay username and
    password! Easy!"]. So why fanny about with Skype? It just looks like a
    speculative land-grab to me, but then I'm a hopeless cynic.

    Insight, anyone?

    --
    <http://ale.cx/> (AIM:troffasky) ()
    19:00:32 up 4 days, 6:47, 2 users, load average: 2.85, 2.71, 2.39

    alexd, Sep 12, 2005
  4. Sunil Sood

    Ian Guest

    "alexd" <> wrote in message news:...
    > Sunil Sood wrote:
    >
    > > Have to say I am suprised that this deal has actually happened but it
    > > has..
    > >
    > > "EBay said it plans to pay $1.3 billion in cash and $1.3 billion in
    > > stock for the Web communications company. It would make a further
    > > payout of up to $1.5 billion by 2008 or 2009 if financial targets are
    > > met, giving the deal a total value of up to $4.1 billion, executives of
    > > the two companies said"

    > I must admit I'm utterly mystified by this particular deal. eBay could

    have
    > developed 100 VoIP systems in-house 100 times over with $4.1bn, so why on
    > earth have they bought Skype? eBay must have more brand-recognition [and
    > let's not forget, branding is what its about, cos none of these VoIP
    > providers, offer much more than any of their competitors (except Sipgate

    of
    > course ;-)] than Skype does. eBay probably has more page impressions than
    > even the mighty BBC, so marketing reach isn't a problem for them. It also
    > has a massive database of user IDs already set up, waiting to be slotted

    in
    > and used ["Download our softphone and log in with your eBay username and
    > password! Easy!"]. So why fanny about with Skype? It just looks like a
    > speculative land-grab to me, but then I'm a hopeless cynic.
    >
    > Insight, anyone?

    Skype all said and done is maybe the only Global voip brandname. an that
    alone is worth a lot of money.
    As you say they could have developed their own but who is gong to signup

    Ian

    Ian, Sep 12, 2005
  5. Sunil Sood

    Doz Guest

    There goes Skype.. time to move on.

    Doz

    Doz, Sep 12, 2005
  6. Sunil Sood

    themgt Guest

    Mark wrote:
    > On 12 Sep 2005 04:33:45 -0700, "Sunil Sood"
    > <> wrote:
    >

    >>Have to say I am suprised that this deal has actually happened but it
    >>has..
    >>
    >>"EBay said it plans to pay $1.3 billion in cash and $1.3 billion in
    >>stock for the Web communications company. It would make a further
    >>payout of up to $1.5 billion by 2008 or 2009 if financial targets are
    >>met, giving the deal a total value of up to $4.1 billion, executives of
    >>the two companies said"

    > Yes it looks like a huge gamble for a reportedly struggling eBay
    > business.

    They probably didn't plan on paying that much but someone sniped just
    under their max bid at the last second.

    themgt, Sep 12, 2005
  7. Sunil Sood

    Joe Harrison Guest

    "themgt" <> wrote in message

    > They probably didn't plan on paying that much but someone sniped just
    > under their max bid at the last second.

    ROFL best one I heard today

    Joe Harrison, Sep 12, 2005
  8. Sunil Sood

    Ivor Jones Guest

    "Joe Harrison" <> wrote in message
    > "themgt" <> wrote in message
    >
    > > They probably didn't plan on paying that much but
    > > someone sniped just under their max bid at the last
    > > second.

    > ROFL best one I heard today

    I wonder if it will mean we might see a little opening up of Skype's
    firecely guarded proprietary code..? It would be nice if it were possible
    to configure an ATA to work on it, although as it isn't SIP I suppose it's
    unlikely.

    Ivor

    Ivor Jones, Sep 12, 2005
  9. Sunil Sood

    ts86 Guest

    Ian wrote:

    >>Insight, anyone?
    >>

    > Skype all said and done is maybe the only Global voip brandname. an that
    > alone is worth a lot of money.
    > As you say they could have developed their own but who is gong to signup

    Why take on a competitor when you can be the competitor.

    ts86, Sep 13, 2005
  10. On Mon, 12 Sep 2005 23:31:34 +0100, "Ivor Jones"
    <> wrote:

    >I wonder if it will mean we might see a little opening up of Skype's
    >firecely guarded proprietary code..? It would be nice if it were possible
    >to configure an ATA to work on it, although as it isn't SIP I suppose it's
    >unlikely.

    some issues dialling "fredbloggs" too I guess, as Skype uses
    alphanumeric names.

    Phil
    --
    Remember - Global Warming is only a weather forecast :)

    Phil Thompson, Sep 13, 2005
  11. Why?

    Paul Westwell, Sep 14, 2005
  12. Sunil Sood

    Ad C Guest

    In article <9L1We.93$>,
    says...
    > Why?
    >

    > "Doz" <> wrote in message
    > > There goes Skype.. time to move on.

    I also think now Ebay have got hold of Skype, it will become a way for
    Ebay to get you onto their website.
    It is bad news when ever a lager corparation or compnay takes over
    something smaller or just takes over another compnay.

    Adobe took over Macrovision, the worse thing that could have happened, I
    hate Adobe stuff, it is buggy and way over sized.
    AOL took over Winamp, now Winamp is a load of rubbish.

    Symantec have taken over Sygate, I now wait and see what mess Symantec
    makes of the sygate firewall, time to find another firewall I think.

    Back to Skype, I don't use it very often, but it is still useful to
    have, but since I trust Ebay about as much as I trust most of the people
    selling on there, I will have to get rid of Skype.

    Ad C, Sep 15, 2005