    anyone ever had this same problem before, and if is so, were you able to get
    your money back with the help of Paypal? Please let me know if anyone can
    help. - Nathan

    EvilN8, May 9, 2004

  2. EvilN8

    Robotman Guest

    "EvilN8" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > I bought a DVD off of ebay, "Leon: The Professional" that was listed as a
    > new and sealed copy. I ended up paying $19.01 with shipping. Today, I

    got
    > it in the mail.. and it's a bootleg copy. The artwork is cheaply

    printed..
    > and has been edited to say that it is an "all region" dvd and that it is a
    > "single layered version" of the movie. The UPC code and ISBN listed on

    the
    > packaging also have no association with this movie.. or anything at all

    for
    > that matter. I'm extremely pissed, as this is the first time it's

    happened
    > to me. Does anyone have an email address or phone number I can call to

    give
    > information on this seller to either Columbia/Tristar or the MPAA? Has
    > anyone ever had this same problem before, and if is so, were you able to

    get
    > your money back with the help of Paypal? Please let me know if anyone can
    > help. - Nathan

    I would email the seller and complain - have you given them feedback yet?

    The seller may refund your money...

    Robotman.

    Robotman, May 9, 2004

  3. EvilN8

    unclejr Guest

    "EvilN8" <> wrote...
    > Does anyone have an email address or phone number I can call to give
    > information on this seller to either Columbia/Tristar or the MPAA?

    1-800-NOCOPYS

    HTH,

    -Junior

    unclejr, May 9, 2004
  4. EvilN8

    fuzzy1 Guest

    First thing to do is contact the seller and ask for a refund if they refuse
    or don't reply in a reasonable amount of time contact EBay safeharbour thru
    the online help section of the login page . Second file a fraud complaint
    with the post office.

    fuzzy1, May 9, 2004
  5. EvilN8

    Spam Buster Guest

    "EvilN8" <> wrote in message
    |I bought a DVD off of ebay, "Leon: The Professional" that was listed as a
    | new and sealed copy. I ended up paying $19.01 with shipping. Today, I
    got
    | it in the mail.. and it's a bootleg copy. The artwork is cheaply
    printed..
    | and has been edited to say that it is an "all region" dvd and that it is a
    | "single layered version" of the movie. The UPC code and ISBN listed on
    the
    | packaging also have no association with this movie.. or anything at all
    for
    | that matter. I'm extremely pissed, as this is the first time it's
    happened
    | to me. Does anyone have an email address or phone number I can call to
    give
    | information on this seller to either Columbia/Tristar or the MPAA? Has
    | anyone ever had this same problem before, and if is so, were you able to
    get
    | your money back with the help of Paypal? Please let me know if anyone can
    | help. - Nathan

    Just like a credit card company PayPal has an obligation to void the money
    exchange if it is based on criminal fraud (which this is) or criminal acts
    (which this is).

    Also: eBay loves to hear about these things, so they can kick the seller off
    of their list.

    Hotline(at)mpaa.org is also extremely interested in any information you can
    give about these criminals. Was his return address on the package? If it
    was, make sure you provide that to the MPAA.

    And the FBI is actively investigating both video piracy and auction fraud.
    Send your findings to cybercrime(at)fbi.gov.

    SB

    Spam Buster, May 9, 2004
  6. EvilN8

    Spam Buster Guest

    "fuzzy1" <> wrote in message

    | First thing to do is contact the seller and ask for a refund if they
    refuse
    | or don't reply in a reasonable amount of time contact EBay safeharbour
    thru
    | the online help section of the login page . Second file a fraud complaint
    | with the post office.

    I don't fully agree: whether or not the seller gives a refund, he is
    willfully and knwoingly (a) misrepresenting his products an (b) committing
    the crime of video piracy. EBay, PayPal , MPAA and FBI should be notified no
    matter what.

    SB

    Spam Buster, May 9, 2004
  7. EvilN8

    Ardna Guest

    >> The seller may refund your money...

    Good luck !!!!

    Ardna, May 9, 2004
  8. EvilN8

    Pug Fugley Guest

    "Spam Buster" <> wrote in message
    > "fuzzy1" <> wrote in message
    > |

    > | First thing to do is contact the seller and ask for a refund if they
    > refuse
    > | or don't reply in a reasonable amount of time contact EBay safeharbour
    > thru
    > | the online help section of the login page . Second file a fraud

    complaint
    > | with the post office.
    > |

    > I don't fully agree: whether or not the seller gives a refund, he is
    > willfully and knwoingly (a) misrepresenting his products an (b) committing
    > the crime of video piracy. EBay, PayPal , MPAA and FBI should be notified

    no
    > matter what.

    None of them can do one single thing unless the copyright owner presses
    charges. I doubt they will bother with legal fees to thwart a $20 pirate.

    Pug Fugley, May 10, 2004
  9. EvilN8

    > "EvilN8" <> wrote in message
    > |I bought a DVD off of ebay, "Leon: The Professional" that was listed as a
    > | new and sealed copy. I ended up paying $19.01 with shipping. Today, I
    > got
    > | it in the mail.. and it's a bootleg copy. The artwork is cheaply
    > printed..
    > | and has been edited to say that it is an "all region" dvd and that it is

    > | "single layered version" of the movie. The UPC code and ISBN listed on
    > the
    > | packaging also have no association with this movie.. or anything at all
    > for
    > | that matter. I'm extremely pissed, as this is the first time it's
    > happened
    > | to me. Does anyone have an email address or phone number I can call to
    > give
    > | information on this seller to either Columbia/Tristar or the MPAA? Has
    > | anyone ever had this same problem before, and if is so, were you able to
    > get
    > | your money back with the help of Paypal? Please let me know if anyone

    can
    > | help. - Nathan
    > |

    > Just like a credit card company PayPal has an obligation to void the money
    > exchange if it is based on criminal fraud (which this is) or criminal acts
    > (which this is).

    Yes, Paypal will bend over backwards to help.

    Sense that sarcasm? Good. Fact is, if the seller has a tracking number that
    says something was delivered to somewhere in that zip code, then the buyer
    is SOL. He could have sent a box of rocks, as long as he has that tracking
    number for proof, he's fine.

    > Also: eBay loves to hear about these things, so they can kick the seller

    off
    > of their list.

    Yes, then they can just use one of the other 42 accounts they have.

    > Hotline(at)mpaa.org is also extremely interested in any information you

    can
    > give about these criminals. Was his return address on the package? If it
    > was, make sure you provide that to the MPAA.

    They will do nothing unless the onwer of the copyright sues.

    > And the FBI is actively investigating both video piracy and auction fraud.
    > Send your findings to cybercrime(at)fbi.gov.

    See above.

    Pug Fugley, May 10, 2004
  10. EvilN8

    Rob Guest

    None of these organizations really care and will do nothing for you. You
    need to conatct the Copyright Owner, and unless it's Warner Bros., they
    probably won't care either. The responsibility lies with eBay but they'll
    claim "venue only" status if you try to reason with them.

    Rob, May 10, 2004
  11. EvilN8

    Rob Guest

    You're living in a different (dream) world SB :)

    Rob, May 10, 2004
  12. EvilN8

    Nick Guest

    This happend to me when Moulin Rogue had just come out on Dvd I brought what
    was listed as a "genuine" copy and it turned out to be a very good pirate,
    so good it was hard to tell the difference between the pirate and the
    original as it had all the extra's etc on the disc. I complained and the
    seller basically said "so what". Ebay protects these inviduals, fair enough
    they close that account down but the seller just sets up another fause
    account. Ebay should employ someone to search through the listing and get
    rid of the all the listing that so easy to spot that they are a pirate. Some
    seller admit in thier listing the item is a pirate and it's still listed
    etc. What's the point of ebay having rules if they don't enforce them and
    genuine people get ripped off!

    EBAY MAKE ENOUGH MONEY THOUGH DON'T THEY!!!!!!!

    Nick, May 10, 2004
  13. EvilN8

    Oldus Fartus Guest

    Nick wrote:

    > This happend to me when Moulin Rogue had just come out on Dvd I brought what
    > was listed as a "genuine" copy and it turned out to be a very good pirate,
    > so good it was hard to tell the difference between the pirate and the
    > original as it had all the extra's etc on the disc. I complained and the
    > seller basically said "so what". Ebay protects these inviduals, fair enough
    > they close that account down but the seller just sets up another fause
    > account. Ebay should employ someone to search through the listing and get
    > rid of the all the listing that so easy to spot that they are a pirate. Some
    > seller admit in thier listing the item is a pirate and it's still listed
    > etc. What's the point of ebay having rules if they don't enforce them and
    > genuine people get ripped off!
    >
    > EBAY MAKE ENOUGH MONEY THOUGH DON'T THEY!!!!!!!

    Ebay certainly does not protect those sellers, it does what it can do to
    stamp out the practise - unfortunately it is not as simple as first
    appears. As you said yourself, the copy of Moulin Rouge you bought
    looked genuine, and was listed as a genuine DVD so no checking by eBay
    could have stopped that particular seller from ripping you off.

    It would be impractical to employ somebody to go through the listings,
    because the sheer number of listings nowadays would make it impossible.
    What they have to do is to rely on members notifying them of
    suspected infringments and then take very quick action to remove the
    listing.

    Sadly there is nothing to stop those banned from eBay setting up another
    account and doing it all again as you suggested. I am not sure there
    is an answer to that problem short of requiring much stronger
    identification procedures, and even that is only likely to deter a few
    people.

    --
    Cheers
    Oldus Fartus

    Oldus Fartus, May 10, 2004
  14. EvilN8

    Film Buff Guest

    My suggestion------
    ALWAYS USE A CREDIT CARD WHEN PAYING THRU PAYPAL!!!!
    I received a bootleg dvd and filed a complaint with PAYPAL and their answer was
    "As long as you received some merchandise - the case is closed"
    It did not matter to them that it was a bootleg or not, as long as I received some
    type of dvd i received the merchandise.
    Since i paid for this by Credit Card - I copied the seller's original ad on eBay,
    an e-mail to him asking him to take back the merchandise and refund my money (which
    he ignored and never replied), all correspondence to PAYPAL regarding this transaction
    and their refusal to help, and a letter to the credit card company explaining the situation to them.
    They have gotten my money back from PAYPAL many times because of bad sellers
    You would think PAYPAL would learn by now - but remember -
    PAYPAL IS NOW OWNED BY EBAY AND THEY DON'T GIVE A DAMN!!!!

    So my advice is always use a credit card when paying thru PAYPAL - the credit card values you
    as a customer and will bend over backwards to help you

    If you transfer funds from your bank account - good luck!! You may never see the money returned

    Film Buff, May 10, 2004
  15. EvilN8

    Geo H Guest

    call your CC company (if if it was a major CC and not just a bank
    transfer into a paypal account) and have them doa chargeback.

    and/or

    lodge a complaint with the post office and/or the FBI - what the
    seller has done is considered to be committing Mail Fraud and thats a
    big deal - he's also commited Copyright infringement by
    redistributing, unauthorized copy, yadda yadda, its all in the tiny
    legal text on the back of any standard dvd box.

    Geo H, May 10, 2004
  16. EvilN8

    Rob Guest

    The best advice is don't buy AV media from any eBay sellers.

    Rob, May 10, 2004
  17. EvilN8

    jayembee Guest

    (Rob) wrote:

    >The best advice is don't buy AV media from any eBay sellers.

    I'd amend that to say "Don't buy major titles on DVD from any eBay
    sellers". I've bought a number of hard-to-find but not highly
    sought-after or collectible titles on DVD from eBay, as well as a
    goodly number of laserdiscs. And in the five or six years I've bought
    stuff on eBay, there was only one instance where I had a problem -- it
    was an LD that was advertised as "still sealed", and it was not only
    not sealed, but the jacket was torn in places, etc. etc. But at the
    low price I paid for it, it wasn't worth engaging in a fight with the
    seller.

    I don't go to eBay simply to find lower prices on easy-to-find DVDs.

    -- jayembee

    jayembee, May 10, 2004
  18. EvilN8

    Jordan Lund Guest

    "EvilN8" <> wrote in message news:<>...

    > The artwork is cheaply printed..

    Is it just me or has the quality on "official" packaging been dropping
    significantly lately as well? I've seen blurry print, pixelated photos
    and the like on brand new, sealed DVDs that I've bought from actual
    retail outlets like Best Buy.

    Or maybe I'm just being too picky? ;^P

    - Jordan

    Jordan Lund, May 11, 2004
  19. EvilN8

    Spam Buster Guest

    "Pug Fugley" <> wrote in message

    | "Spam Buster" <> wrote in message
    | > "fuzzy1" <> wrote in message
    | > |
    | > |
    | > | First thing to do is contact the seller and ask for a refund if they
    | > refuse
    | > | or don't reply in a reasonable amount of time contact EBay safeharbour
    | > thru
    | > | the online help section of the login page . Second file a fraud
    | complaint
    | > | with the post office.
    | > |

    | > I don't fully agree: whether or not the seller gives a refund, he is
    | > willfully and knwoingly (a) misrepresenting his products an (b)
    committing
    | > the crime of video piracy. EBay, PayPal , MPAA and FBI should be
    notified
    | no
    | > matter what.
    |
    | None of them can do one single thing unless the copyright owner presses
    | charges. I doubt they will bother with legal fees to thwart a $20 pirate.

    Example: http://www.detnews.com/2004/technology/0401/25/technology-43949.htm

    SB

    Spam Buster, May 11, 2004
  20. EvilN8