eating my words re: Linux

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by fat_man_on_a_bicycle@mail.com, Nov 7, 2008.

  1. Guest

    approx 1 year ago I nearly started WW3 in this group by moaning about
    how cr*p Linux is.

    the stuff that really peed me off was having to type things like

    sudo sed -i -e "s/# deb/deb/g" /etc/apt/sources.list && sudo apt-get
    update

    in a friggin command line when I had no idea if I was installing Flash
    or a Trojan key-logger

    I noticed last week that a new version of Ubuntu i.e.vers 8.10 was
    out, so decided to give a spin.

    I've got to admit I'm impressed.

    Dual boot Install (with XP) on a 20GB partition has gone smoothly
    including sensible requests like 'do you want to install the required
    codecs' with no need for command line stuff.

    All my fav stuff works e.g. PhotoshopTV, BBC iPlayer, YouTube, Google
    Earth, xvid movies, DVDs, mp3s etc

    - fat man on a bicycle - eating his words

    , Nov 7, 2008

  2. Tony Guest

    Ubuntu = Shit

    --
    The Grandmaster of the CyberFROG

    Come get your ticket to CyberFROG city

    proper manners

    beyond the realm of understandability

    Tony, Nov 7, 2008

  3. Mike Easter Guest

    wrote:

    > I noticed last week that a new version of Ubuntu i.e.vers 8.10 was
    > out, so decided to give a spin.
    >
    > I've got to admit I'm impressed.

    > - fat man on a bicycle - eating his words

    Good. Next you should start using a newsreader to read and post to usenet
    groups like this one instead of GG googlegroups. There are plenty of
    linux newsreaders which can easily be installed with Synaptic's point and
    click, such as Thunderbird, Evolution and others. There are plenty of
    free newsservers aioe, motzarella, and others.

    There are a lot of things wrong with reading & posting to usenet via GG:

    - compared to a newsreader, GG's interface is terrible
    - GG provides no filtering of all of the GG sourced spam & hipcrime &
    anonymized trolls
    - GG's topic threading is very poor - nonexistent
    - GG doesn't carry a lot of useful usenet groups, eg alt.os.linux.ubuntu
    - because there's so much GG sourced spam & hipcrime & other
    undesirables, many people filter /all/ GG posters, meaning that many of
    the people who could help with a problem don't even see a GGer's post
    - GG tends to induce some poor posting practices, such as top posting,
    untrimmed bottom posting
    - GG exposes the user's connectivity IP and as well as a good email
    address in the From, which bothers privacy concerns
    - GG doesn't provide an autosig or autosigtrimming

    --
    Mike Easter

    Mike Easter, Nov 7, 2008
  4. Tony Guest

    Mike ya know i never knew how Carlton Heston felt in The Planet Of The Apes
    when he got back in time on Earth (maybe it was forward) and they were all
    apes when he said dam you all to pieces. After the election i know exactly
    what he means now.

    --
    The Grandmaster of the CyberFROG

    Come get your ticket to CyberFROG city

    manners

    the realm of understandability

    Tony, Nov 7, 2008
  5. "Mike Easter" <> wrote in

    > There are a lot of things wrong with reading & posting
    > to usenet via GG:

    Earth to retard, aka Easter, this thread's topic is about
    an individual's adventure and discovery of new virtual
    territories to explore and enjoy.

    Quit being such an a-hole and go back to beating your dog
    or whatever it is you do that makes you such a jerk.

    --

    I *am* Bucky Breeder, (*(^; , and I'm probably NOT your "baby-daddy".

    [Your link(s) here - reasonable prices - current FX rates]

    http://www.theonion.com/content/video/obama_win_causes_obsessive

    Bucky Breeder, Nov 7, 2008
  6. Cork Soaker Guest

    Tony wrote:
    > Ubuntu = Shit

    Tony = Shit

    > wrote:

    >> the stuff that really peed me off was having to type things like
    >>
    >> sudo sed -i -e "s/# deb/deb/g" /etc/apt/sources.list && sudo apt-get
    >> update
    >>
    >> in a friggin command line when I had no idea if I was installing Flash
    >> or a Trojan key-logger

    Then you are a fucking idiot!

    Cork Soaker, Nov 7, 2008
  7. Tony Guest

    Last time i watched the move it was a censored version and the line actually
    was changed to dam you all to pieces.

    Tony, Nov 7, 2008
  8. Tony Guest

    If Chuckcar uses that operating system it has to be shit. Chuck is a freeware
    fanatic, me i know you can't get something for nothing.

    Tony, Nov 7, 2008
  9. Re: New USA Administration Seeks Input (was "whay-ghay jibber-jabber between two gurly idiots)

    "Mike Easter" <> wrote in

    > Tony wrote:
    >
    >> Carlton Heston [...] After the election i know exactly
    >> what he means now.

    > "God damn you all to hell" - video clip of the beach scene with the
    > destroyed Statue of Liberty and the Heston line pounding the wet sand
    > here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bYBDiD6ZCr8
    >
    > Place where you can give Obama some guidance in how to run the country
    > here "It's Your America: Share Your Ideas - Share with us your concerns
    > and hopes. - the policies you want to see carried out in the next four
    > years." http://www.change.gov/page/s/yourvision

    This is a whole 'nuther topic...

    Try to be more inclusive, like good leetle gurls.

    I'm suggesting they keep internet business transactions exempt from state
    sales taxes to give that part of the economy a boost.

    --

    I am Bucky Breeder , (*(^; , & I got the key to your brand new
    rollerskate.

    Bucky Breeder, Nov 7, 2008
  10. Guest

    so Linux gets better, but the command line a**holes get worse

    it's not an OS it's a friggin CULT

    WW3 again

    - fat man on a bicycle -

    , Nov 7, 2008
  11. Desk Rabbit Guest

    Tony wrote:
    > Ubuntu = Shit

    Nice counter argument. That's your consider and educated opinion based
    on personal experience is it?

    Desk Rabbit, Nov 8, 2008
  12. On Sat, 08 Nov 2008 13:23:47 +0000, Desk Rabbit aided th' terraists with
    the following claims :

    > Tony wrote:
    >> Ubuntu = Shit

    > Nice counter argument. That's your consider and educated opinion based
    > on personal experience is it?

    Its often PEBKAC. I got Ubuntu a few years back, couldnt figure out how to
    get the PPP stack working and set it aside. Picked it up last summer and
    got it working straight away. Why? Because I'd learned how to do it on
    distros I thought were "easier". So what changed? Was it the distro? Nope.
    CD didnt magically "fix" itself. I got a better skill set...and my
    attitude changed.

    http://i35.tinypic.com/2czc1ua.jpg

    §ñühwØ£f, Nov 8, 2008
  13. Aardvark Guest

    On Sat, 08 Nov 2008 09:02:09 -0700, §ñühwØ£f wrote:

    > I got a better skill set.

    ....or you had expanded your existing skill set.

    :)

    HTH and HAND

    --
    Liverpool. European City Of Culture 2008
    http://www.liverpool08.com

    Aardvark, Nov 8, 2008
  14. Aardvark <> wrote in

    > On Sat, 08 Nov 2008 09:02:09 -0700, §ñühwØ£f wrote:
    >
    >> I got a better skill set.

    > ...or you had expanded your existing skill set.

    Big sale on skill sets :

    http://www.viperchill.com/internet-marketing-skillset/

    HTH S&H PTSD OCD etc.

    --

    I'm Bucky Breeder, (*(^; , & I got the key to your brand new rollerskates.

    Bucky Breeder, Nov 8, 2008
  15. Cork Soaker Guest

    Tony wrote:
    > If Chuckcar uses that operating system it has to be shit. Chuck is a freeware
    > fanatic, me i know you can't get something for nothing.

    No, you're an idiot too.

    Cork Soaker, Nov 8, 2008
  16. Guest

    , Nov 9, 2008