Easyshare CX6200 Transfer Woes:(

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by jimsin, Jun 13, 2004.

  1. jimsin

    jimsin Guest

    Could anybody please help me because I'm desperate.

    Just bought a new Kodak Easyshare CX6200 - camera works fine, but for some
    reason I can't transfer the images to my computer.

    It works on a friend's computer, so I know the problem isn't with the camera
    or USB cable.

    My system is a 400Mhz AMD K-6 processer with 48MB RAM running on
    Windows98SE. And the Kodak software is installed.

    Problem is that when I connect the camera and switch it on, nothing happens.
    The camera doesn't show up in 'My Computer' at all - the only evidence I can
    find of it being connected is that on Device Manager there's an extra entry
    under USB which says 'unknown device'.

    When I install the easyshare software it says you should have a minimum of
    64MB RAM - so I'm thinking perhaps this is the problem - but it could also
    be my USB card because I haven't anything else to test it on.

    Any suggestions as to what my next steps should be towards fixing this
    problem would be hugely appreciated, because I really want to be able to use
    my new camera, and haven't heard anything back from Kodak tech support as of
    yet.

    Thanks in advance :)
     
    jimsin, Jun 13, 2004
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. jimsin

    Andy Hewitt Guest

    jimsin <> wrote:

    > Could anybody please help me because I'm desperate.
    >
    > Just bought a new Kodak Easyshare CX6200 - camera works fine, but for some
    > reason I can't transfer the images to my computer.


    Personally I use the card slot and use an external card reader.

    --
    Andy Hewitt ** FAF#1, (Ex-OSOS#5) - FJ1200 ABS
    Honda Concerto 16v: Windows free zone (Mac G5 Dual Processor)
    http://www.thehewitts.plus.com - now online
     
    Andy Hewitt, Jun 13, 2004
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. Go to www.kodak.com ... software downloads.

    I think there is a patch or two for Win 98 to recognize the camera.


    "jimsin" <> wrote in message
    news:v1_yc.251$...
    > Could anybody please help me because I'm desperate.
    >
    > Just bought a new Kodak Easyshare CX6200 - camera works fine, but for some
    > reason I can't transfer the images to my computer.
    >
    > It works on a friend's computer, so I know the problem isn't with the

    camera
    > or USB cable.
    >
    > My system is a 400Mhz AMD K-6 processer with 48MB RAM running on
    > Windows98SE. And the Kodak software is installed.
    >
    > Problem is that when I connect the camera and switch it on, nothing

    happens.
    > The camera doesn't show up in 'My Computer' at all - the only evidence I

    can
    > find of it being connected is that on Device Manager there's an extra

    entry
    > under USB which says 'unknown device'.
    >
    > When I install the easyshare software it says you should have a minimum of
    > 64MB RAM - so I'm thinking perhaps this is the problem - but it could also
    > be my USB card because I haven't anything else to test it on.
    >
    > Any suggestions as to what my next steps should be towards fixing this
    > problem would be hugely appreciated, because I really want to be able to

    use
    > my new camera, and haven't heard anything back from Kodak tech support as

    of
    > yet.
    >
    > Thanks in advance :)
    >
    >
     
    Cathy De Viney, Jun 13, 2004
    #3
  4. jimsin

    Ron Hunter Guest

    jimsin wrote:
    > Could anybody please help me because I'm desperate.
    >
    > Just bought a new Kodak Easyshare CX6200 - camera works fine, but for some
    > reason I can't transfer the images to my computer.
    >
    > It works on a friend's computer, so I know the problem isn't with the camera
    > or USB cable.
    >
    > My system is a 400Mhz AMD K-6 processer with 48MB RAM running on
    > Windows98SE. And the Kodak software is installed.
    >
    > Problem is that when I connect the camera and switch it on, nothing happens.
    > The camera doesn't show up in 'My Computer' at all - the only evidence I can
    > find of it being connected is that on Device Manager there's an extra entry
    > under USB which says 'unknown device'.
    >
    > When I install the easyshare software it says you should have a minimum of
    > 64MB RAM - so I'm thinking perhaps this is the problem - but it could also
    > be my USB card because I haven't anything else to test it on.
    >
    > Any suggestions as to what my next steps should be towards fixing this
    > problem would be hugely appreciated, because I really want to be able to use
    > my new camera, and haven't heard anything back from Kodak tech support as of
    > yet.
    >
    > Thanks in advance :)
    >
    >

    Sure.

    First, add more ram. It is the cheapest upgrade you can do for the best
    preformance boost for ALL your software, and the OS.
    Second, download the latest version of Easyshare that works better with
    Win98SE.
    Consider upgrading your computer system soon as the machine you have is
    pretty ancient by computer standards.
     
    Ron Hunter, Jun 13, 2004
    #4
  5. jimsin

    jimsin Guest

    "Andy Hewitt" <> wrote in message
    news:1gfbrbl.11x3kkjxvc1pzN%...
    > jimsin <> wrote:
    >
    > > Could anybody please help me because I'm desperate.
    > >
    > > Just bought a new Kodak Easyshare CX6200 - camera works fine, but for

    some
    > > reason I can't transfer the images to my computer.

    >
    > Personally I use the card slot and use an external card reader.



    That sounds interesting - maybe I'll have to resort to that. I'm assuming
    you need to buy a memory card .. this thing reads the card, and then you can
    connect it to the computer with the USB? My concern is that if my computer
    doesn't detect that the camera is connected to the USB, then I'll end up
    shelling out for all that stuff, and then it won't detect that the card
    reader is connected either, thus back to square one :(
     
    jimsin, Jun 14, 2004
    #5
  6. jimsin

    Andy Hewitt Guest

    jimsin <> wrote:

    > "Andy Hewitt" <> wrote in message
    > news:1gfbrbl.11x3kkjxvc1pzN%...
    > > jimsin <> wrote:
    > >
    > > > Could anybody please help me because I'm desperate.
    > > >
    > > > Just bought a new Kodak Easyshare CX6200 - camera works fine, but for

    > some
    > > > reason I can't transfer the images to my computer.

    > >
    > > Personally I use the card slot and use an external card reader.

    >
    >
    > That sounds interesting - maybe I'll have to resort to that. I'm assuming
    > you need to buy a memory card .. this thing reads the card, and then you can
    > connect it to the computer with the USB? My concern is that if my computer
    > doesn't detect that the camera is connected to the USB, then I'll end up
    > shelling out for all that stuff, and then it won't detect that the card
    > reader is connected either, thus back to square one :(


    Shouldn't be so at all. My old Olympus C960z didn't have a driver at all
    for Mac OS 10, but worked fine off a card reader. I got a 6-1 reader,
    which gives flexibility to use most cards.

    Most cards are formatted in standard DOS, so should be readable by
    anything, as long as you can communicate in the first place.

    It's usually better to use a card reader anyway, as you don't use the
    batteries in the camera while downloading the images.

    --
    Andy Hewitt ** FAF#1, (Ex-OSOS#5) - FJ1200 ABS
    Honda Concerto 16v: Windows free zone (Mac G5 Dual Processor)
    http://www.thehewitts.plus.com - now online
     
    Andy Hewitt, Jun 14, 2004
    #6
  7. jimsin

    jimsin Guest

    "Cathy De Viney" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > Go to www.kodak.com ... software downloads.
    >
    > I think there is a patch or two for Win 98 to recognize the camera.
    >

    Thanks for the advice .... went to the site, I have version 3.3 and they
    have version 3.4 (felt a bit dubious that they'd only be sorting this
    problem out on that version, but gave it a go (they didn't have any patches
    for the PC, just the whole thing - although they did for the MAC).

    Sooo the software was downloading, but then stopped half way with an error
    message - I figured that this might be because I was trying to download it
    ontop of an existing version - went to uninstall 3.2, got an error message
    there too. Windows then thought that it had been uninstalled when it was
    still there, so the only way to get it off my system was to manually delete
    it.

    Then thought that if I install from the disk again, it could be uninstalled
    correctly - and then I might be able to dowload version 3.4 .... but then
    when I went to uninstall the next time, it said it had done it, but hadn't
    removed anything.

    So back to square one. No, worse actually, because now this whole
    install/uninstall thing I've done so often seems to be all messed up too.
    I'm sick of the name 'Easyshare' and am all set to throw the camera out of
    the window!!!

    *sigh* ... so that's been my weekend :) I realise you might not be
    interested in all this, but I write in the hope that somebody looking back
    over this newsgroup in years to come might find this usefull!
     
    jimsin, Jun 14, 2004
    #7
  8. jimsin

    jimsin Guest

    "Ron Hunter" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    >
    > First, add more ram. It is the cheapest upgrade you can do for the best
    > preformance boost for ALL your software, and the OS.
    > Second, download the latest version of Easyshare that works better with
    > Win98SE.
    > Consider upgrading your computer system soon as the machine you have is
    > pretty ancient by computer standards.


    Thanks very much for replying.
    Yes, more RAM - I will buy some at the end of the month in the hope that it
    will help. But I must admit I'd have thought that the lack of RAM wouldn't
    cause the system to simply not recognize the camera is connected - would
    have expected some sort of error message or something.

    Attempted to download software V3.4 instead of V3.3 that I already have -
    please see my previous post for details of how I've been reduced to a
    nervous wreck by this process which ultimately failed :(

    Yes - you are right of course - my computer is pretty ancient by today's
    standards - but I only use it for email and the occasional web browsing - I
    don't have much money (hence the (not very 'easy' for me) Easyshare CX6200
    .... seems absurd that I should have to buy a whole new computer system just
    so I can get it to detect there's a camera connected to the USB port :(


    Anyhoo - thanks again anyway. If anybody else happens to read this sad
    tale, and has any more advice, then I'm all ears - although I fear I may
    have thrown myself off a cliff if I can't sort this out soon :)
     
    jimsin, Jun 14, 2004
    #8
  9. jimsin

    Ron Hunter Guest

    jimsin wrote:
    > "Andy Hewitt" <> wrote in message
    > news:1gfbrbl.11x3kkjxvc1pzN%...
    >
    >>jimsin <> wrote:
    >>
    >>
    >>>Could anybody please help me because I'm desperate.
    >>>
    >>>Just bought a new Kodak Easyshare CX6200 - camera works fine, but for

    >
    > some
    >
    >>>reason I can't transfer the images to my computer.

    >>
    >>Personally I use the card slot and use an external card reader.

    >
    >
    >
    > That sounds interesting - maybe I'll have to resort to that. I'm assuming
    > you need to buy a memory card .. this thing reads the card, and then you can
    > connect it to the computer with the USB? My concern is that if my computer
    > doesn't detect that the camera is connected to the USB, then I'll end up
    > shelling out for all that stuff, and then it won't detect that the card
    > reader is connected either, thus back to square one :(
    >
    >

    Check out the Kodak site for the latest version of Easyshare software.
    It should solve your problems. You imply that you don't have a memory
    card. If so, you really should purchase one since they will hold a lot
    more pictures than the internal memory.
     
    Ron Hunter, Jun 14, 2004
    #9
  10. jimsin

    Ron Hunter Guest

    jimsin wrote:

    > "Cathy De Viney" <> wrote in message
    > news:...
    >
    >>Go to www.kodak.com ... software downloads.
    >>
    >>I think there is a patch or two for Win 98 to recognize the camera.
    >>

    >
    > Thanks for the advice .... went to the site, I have version 3.3 and they
    > have version 3.4 (felt a bit dubious that they'd only be sorting this
    > problem out on that version, but gave it a go (they didn't have any patches
    > for the PC, just the whole thing - although they did for the MAC).
    >
    > Sooo the software was downloading, but then stopped half way with an error
    > message - I figured that this might be because I was trying to download it
    > ontop of an existing version - went to uninstall 3.2, got an error message
    > there too. Windows then thought that it had been uninstalled when it was
    > still there, so the only way to get it off my system was to manually delete
    > it.
    >
    > Then thought that if I install from the disk again, it could be uninstalled
    > correctly - and then I might be able to dowload version 3.4 .... but then
    > when I went to uninstall the next time, it said it had done it, but hadn't
    > removed anything.
    >
    > So back to square one. No, worse actually, because now this whole
    > install/uninstall thing I've done so often seems to be all messed up too.
    > I'm sick of the name 'Easyshare' and am all set to throw the camera out of
    > the window!!!
    >
    > *sigh* ... so that's been my weekend :) I realise you might not be
    > interested in all this, but I write in the hope that somebody looking back
    > over this newsgroup in years to come might find this usefull!
    >
    >

    Please read the installation instructions. There is a program there
    that will do the uninstall completely for you. Then you can install the
    new version.

    A card reader will cost you about $10 or less, and a 64 meg card about
    $20. Perhaps that is the better way to go in your case.
     
    Ron Hunter, Jun 14, 2004
    #10
  11. jimsin

    Toni Guest

    > If anybody else happens to read this sad
    >tale, and has any more advice, then I'm all ears -


    for now, you can just take your smartmedia or whatever card to Walmart and
    either do prints or cd. In fact quite a few stores have the machine to do that
    self serve.


    2-Ton Toni
     
    Toni, Jun 14, 2004
    #11
  12. jimsin

    jimsin Guest

    Thanks to everybody for their suggestions - you've given me a good few
    alternatives to think about.

    I'm still determined to actually to be able to transfer the pictures to my
    computer, and have been scouring tech support messageboards.

    I read that USB could possibly be disabled in the BIOS ... and when I
    checked, I found that this was indeed the case. I enabled it, and my heart
    was beating fast when I restarted the computer and attempted the transfer
    ..... but still the camera was shown on Device Manager as 'Unknown Device'
    with a yellow exclamation mark over it.

    Then this morning I discovered that AMD processers running at 350mhz+ needed
    a patch from microsoft in order to work with VIA chipset USB ports .... lo,
    and behold - that was exactly the combination I have on my computer.

    So, I downloaded the patch. Uninstalled and reinstalled all software -
    again had a huge surge of excitement, especially when I switched on the
    camera and a message box announced that windows was locating drivers for my
    new hardware .... but then the box disappeared, nothing else happened ...
    and going to device manager it appeared as an unknown device again - this
    time with a red cross over it. This signified that the device was disabled,
    and it asked if I wanted to enable it.

    Of course I did - so I restarted .... and again it now shows up exactly as
    it used to - an unknown device with a yellow exclamation mark.

    I'm sure that the problem has something to do with Windows 98SE, the USB
    settings. I'm going to keep trying until I fix this - and again, if anybody
    who's had a similar experience and solved it is reading this, then please
    please please could you let me know what I need to do ... thanks.
     
    jimsin, Jun 16, 2004
    #12
  13. I suspect that you have the remnants of your USB problems with chipsets, etc
    that are preventing the camera from enumerating properly on the bus
    andgetting recognized. Try this:

    1: with the camera plugged in and on, go to device manager, find the
    "unknown device" and remove it. . When finished, unplug the camera

    2: remove easyshare from your system using the uninstall option. When
    you're done, download and run the clear utility from Kodak for your version
    of EasyShare that was installed from

    http://www.kodak.com/go/clear2 or http://www.kodak.com/go/clear3

    These will remove all USB enumerations, registry entries, etc that EasyShare
    leaves behind on uninstall (there is a reason for us leaving some stuff
    behind, I won't get into that)

    3: install from the web the latest version of EasyShare, V3.4. You can get
    it from:

    http://www.kodak.com/go/easysharesw

    4: plug the camera back in, turn it on , let the system recognize it and
    tell us what happens.



    "jimsin" <> wrote in message
    news:QTUzc.44$qw3.10@newsfe3-gui...
    > Thanks to everybody for their suggestions - you've given me a good few
    > alternatives to think about.
    >
    > I'm still determined to actually to be able to transfer the pictures to my
    > computer, and have been scouring tech support messageboards.
    >
    > I read that USB could possibly be disabled in the BIOS ... and when I
    > checked, I found that this was indeed the case. I enabled it, and my

    heart
    > was beating fast when I restarted the computer and attempted the transfer
    > .... but still the camera was shown on Device Manager as 'Unknown Device'
    > with a yellow exclamation mark over it.
    >
    > Then this morning I discovered that AMD processers running at 350mhz+

    needed
    > a patch from microsoft in order to work with VIA chipset USB ports ....

    lo,
    > and behold - that was exactly the combination I have on my computer.
    >
    > So, I downloaded the patch. Uninstalled and reinstalled all software -
    > again had a huge surge of excitement, especially when I switched on the
    > camera and a message box announced that windows was locating drivers for

    my
    > new hardware .... but then the box disappeared, nothing else happened ...
    > and going to device manager it appeared as an unknown device again - this
    > time with a red cross over it. This signified that the device was

    disabled,
    > and it asked if I wanted to enable it.
    >
    > Of course I did - so I restarted .... and again it now shows up exactly as
    > it used to - an unknown device with a yellow exclamation mark.
    >
    > I'm sure that the problem has something to do with Windows 98SE, the USB
    > settings. I'm going to keep trying until I fix this - and again, if

    anybody
    > who's had a similar experience and solved it is reading this, then please
    > please please could you let me know what I need to do ... thanks.
    >
    >
     
    William Jackson, Jun 16, 2004
    #13
  14. jimsin

    jimsin Guest

    "William Jackson" <> wrote in message
    news:capb48$k5v$...
    > I suspect that you have the remnants of your USB problems with chipsets,

    etc
    > that are preventing the camera from enumerating properly on the bus
    > andgetting recognized. Try this:
    >
    > 1: with the camera plugged in and on, go to device manager, find the
    > "unknown device" and remove it. . When finished, unplug the camera
    >
    > 2: remove easyshare from your system using the uninstall option. When
    > you're done, download and run the clear utility from Kodak for your

    version
    > of EasyShare that was installed from
    >
    > http://www.kodak.com/go/clear2 or http://www.kodak.com/go/clear3
    >
    > These will remove all USB enumerations, registry entries, etc that

    EasyShare
    > leaves behind on uninstall (there is a reason for us leaving some stuff
    > behind, I won't get into that)
    >
    > 3: install from the web the latest version of EasyShare, V3.4. You can

    get
    > it from:
    >
    > http://www.kodak.com/go/easysharesw
    >
    > 4: plug the camera back in, turn it on , let the system recognize it and
    > tell us what happens.
    >
    >


    Many thanks for that suggestion - I have done different combinations of
    these things a few times now - but maybe not in the exact order you
    suggest - will try that this evening (after 7 more hours spent looking into
    this, I now have to go to work).

    I'm concerned that the problem is actually specific to my model of computer
    though - had been reading that I have a VIA Southbridge VT82C586 chip which
    (in addition to everything else) isn't compatible with USB.

    I have been scouring the net for some sort of patch or workaround - found a
    link to a USB filter patch which looked right (the website was in German,
    but was definitely about this chipset/USB incompatibility.

    Downloaded and installed the patch - restarted computer - nothing had
    changed :(

    Like I've said before, I'm incorporating as much info as possible here for
    people like myself who tend to solve computer problems by searching
    newsgroup postings.

    If all else fails, I'm going to have to transfer as much as I can from my
    current 400mhz computer across to my old pentium 166, and consider updating
    the processor.

    It would appear that Kodak are blame free on this one, unless there are
    possible backwards compatibility issues to USB 1.0 in their Easyshare
    software.
     
    jimsin, Jun 16, 2004
    #14
  15. jimsin

    jimsin Guest

    "William Jackson" <> wrote in message
    news:capb48$k5v$...


    > 4: plug the camera back in, turn it on , let the system recognize it and
    > tell us what happens.
    >
    >

    Thanks once again for taking the time to try and help me with this ... I
    followed your instructions to the letter. Once the Easyshare software is
    installed, Windows detects unknown devices 'Kodak IFS' and 'Kodak Router' ..
    then when I was sure the software was running, I plugged in the USB cable
    connected to the camera - switched it on. There was another unknown device
    message, windows searched for it - the box vanished without saying it had
    detected the device ... and just like it has done so many times before, the
    Device Manager shows an unknown device in the USB section ... this time it
    was disabled - but I've done this many times before, and know that if I
    enable it, I'll get a prompt to restart the system - and it will still be
    unknown, but have a yellow exclamation mark over it.

    Seriously - have unplugged everything else from PCI ports, checked all IRC
    settings for conflicts and nothing seems to be wrong.

    I'd love to have another USB product to see if that works, but at present I
    don't.

    The things that I find particularly strange is that on most of the
    troubleshooting forums they say that the camera should appear in Device
    Manager under 'other' or 'imaging devices' or something - in my case there's
    nothing til you connect it, then it appears as unknown device in the USB
    section.
    Also there's talk of it appearing in my computer like a drive ... never
    happened.

    Also, I downloaded this program called "unknown device identifier" ... this
    produces a screen very much like device manager - and gives info on the
    drivers needed. Now on this screen, KODAK IFS and KODAKCAM appear ... along
    with info on Driver vendor, and PnpID, but they don't appear on Device
    Manager ... is this normal.

    Also - I have read that similar problems arose as a result of the camera
    being switched on before the software was installed - in my haste to get
    going with my camera, I did just that ... could all this grief really have
    been caused by such a small mistake? The workround seemed to be the same as
    you were suggesting, though, and didn't work - although I have heard that
    maybe if you completely reinstall Windows it will get rid of those last
    lingering Kodak registry entries that you say are left for good reason. (do
    you work for Kodak?).

    Anyhoo ... feel ten years older than I did on Saturday - am now about to rip
    the whole computer apart and connect the necessary parts up to my old
    motherboard to see if I have any luck with that. It will make a nice change
    from reading/writing about possible solutions :)
     
    jimsin, Jun 16, 2004
    #15
  16. the Kodak IFS doesn't have anything to do with the USB. It's an
    "installable file system" that allows us to abstract the PTP USB camera into
    the windows file system so that you can browse the camera from windows
    explorer.

    The unknown device is your problem and it should be Kodak Cam, as your
    unknown device viewer tells you.

    The steps that I gave you to run the clear utilities will recover from
    turning the camera on and connecting prior to installing the software. In
    addition, V3.3 of the software and beyond will also check for this condition
    and fix things up.


    It does sound to me like you've got an issue with the USB chipset. Can you
    give me adetailed description of the system (preferably the motherboard
    manufacturer and/or the system manufacturer)

    We often go try to chase these kinds of issues down by buying the exact
    system on eBay from people since they're not often available on the open
    market at the time people find these kinds of problems.





















    "jimsin" <> wrote in message
    news:v_2Ac.50$...
    >
    > "William Jackson" <> wrote in message
    > news:capb48$k5v$...
    >
    >
    > > 4: plug the camera back in, turn it on , let the system recognize it and
    > > tell us what happens.
    > >
    > >

    > Thanks once again for taking the time to try and help me with this ... I
    > followed your instructions to the letter. Once the Easyshare software is
    > installed, Windows detects unknown devices 'Kodak IFS' and 'Kodak Router'

    ...
    > then when I was sure the software was running, I plugged in the USB cable
    > connected to the camera - switched it on. There was another unknown

    device
    > message, windows searched for it - the box vanished without saying it had
    > detected the device ... and just like it has done so many times before,

    the
    > Device Manager shows an unknown device in the USB section ... this time it
    > was disabled - but I've done this many times before, and know that if I
    > enable it, I'll get a prompt to restart the system - and it will still be
    > unknown, but have a yellow exclamation mark over it.
    >
    > Seriously - have unplugged everything else from PCI ports, checked all

    IRC
    > settings for conflicts and nothing seems to be wrong.
    >
    > I'd love to have another USB product to see if that works, but at present

    I
    > don't.
    >
    > The things that I find particularly strange is that on most of the
    > troubleshooting forums they say that the camera should appear in Device
    > Manager under 'other' or 'imaging devices' or something - in my case

    there's
    > nothing til you connect it, then it appears as unknown device in the USB
    > section.
    > Also there's talk of it appearing in my computer like a drive ... never
    > happened.
    >
    > Also, I downloaded this program called "unknown device identifier" ...

    this
    > produces a screen very much like device manager - and gives info on the
    > drivers needed. Now on this screen, KODAK IFS and KODAKCAM appear ...

    along
    > with info on Driver vendor, and PnpID, but they don't appear on Device
    > Manager ... is this normal.
    >
    > Also - I have read that similar problems arose as a result of the camera
    > being switched on before the software was installed - in my haste to get
    > going with my camera, I did just that ... could all this grief really have
    > been caused by such a small mistake? The workround seemed to be the same

    as
    > you were suggesting, though, and didn't work - although I have heard that
    > maybe if you completely reinstall Windows it will get rid of those last
    > lingering Kodak registry entries that you say are left for good reason.

    (do
    > you work for Kodak?).
    >
    > Anyhoo ... feel ten years older than I did on Saturday - am now about to

    rip
    > the whole computer apart and connect the necessary parts up to my old
    > motherboard to see if I have any luck with that. It will make a nice

    change
    > from reading/writing about possible solutions :)
    >
    >
     
    William Jackson, Jun 17, 2004
    #16
  17. jimsin

    Ron Baird Guest

    Hi Jim,

    I think the real issue here is that your system does not meet the basic
    requirements. BTW, did you follow the usual uninstall process of removing
    EasyShare using the ADD Remove feature of Windows.

    "My system is a 400Mhz AMD K-6 processer with 48MB RAM running on
    Windows98SE. And the Kodak software is installed."

    Since the USB in your system sounds like it may be a card installation, lets
    take a look at the USB controller in the device manager. Click through that
    listing and open everything (no changes just a review) to see if there are
    any exclamation marks there.

    Actually the way the USB process works is through the USB cable from the
    camera to the computer. A signal is sent with particular information down
    the V line of the USB cable. It reaches the USB controller where that
    information is then sent to the registry etc. If it does not complete the
    process, it usually means there is something going on in the cable (which is
    very rare) or that the USB is somehow in question.

    If other devices that are plugged into that device work, then maybe not, but
    it would be worth a review. Maybe reseating the card, if thats what it is,
    may help?

    Regardless, Jim, if you find that this does not help or show any issues, you
    can try calling our team. 800 235-6325 and we will try to help further.
    Although you do not have the suggested requirements, i.e. 48 meg of memory,
    EasyShare will often install OK with the amount of RAM you have noted. Let
    us know how you make out. But as noted by others, upgrading your memory
    etc.would be worth the amount of money it should cost.

    Talk to you soon, Jim,

    Ron Baird
    Eastman Kodak Company

    >
    >
    > > 4: plug the camera back in, turn it on , let the system recognize it and
    > > tell us what happens.
    > >
    > >

    > Thanks once again for taking the time to try and help me with this ... I
    > followed your instructions to the letter. Once the Easyshare software is
    > installed, Windows detects unknown devices 'Kodak IFS' and 'Kodak Router'

    ...
    > then when I was sure the software was running, I plugged in the USB cable
    > connected to the camera - switched it on. There was another unknown

    device
    > message, windows searched for it - the box vanished without saying it had
    > detected the device ... and just like it has done so many times before,

    the
    > Device Manager shows an unknown device in the USB section ... this time it
    > was disabled - but I've done this many times before, and know that if I
    > enable it, I'll get a prompt to restart the system - and it will still be
    > unknown, but have a yellow exclamation mark over it.
    >
    > Seriously - have unplugged everything else from PCI ports, checked all

    IRC
    > settings for conflicts and nothing seems to be wrong.
    >
    > I'd love to have another USB product to see if that works, but at present

    I
    > don't.
    >
    > The things that I find particularly strange is that on most of the
    > troubleshooting forums they say that the camera should appear in Device
    > Manager under 'other' or 'imaging devices' or something - in my case

    there's
    > nothing til you connect it, then it appears as unknown device in the USB
    > section.
    > Also there's talk of it appearing in my computer like a drive ... never
    > happened.
    >
    > Also, I downloaded this program called "unknown device identifier" ...

    this
    > produces a screen very much like device manager - and gives info on the
    > drivers needed. Now on this screen, KODAK IFS and KODAKCAM appear ...

    along
    > with info on Driver vendor, and PnpID, but they don't appear on Device
    > Manager ... is this normal.
    >
    > Also - I have read that similar problems arose as a result of the camera
    > being switched on before the software was installed - in my haste to get
    > going with my camera, I did just that ... could all this grief really have
    > been caused by such a small mistake? The workround seemed to be the same

    as
    > you were suggesting, though, and didn't work - although I have heard that
    > maybe if you completely reinstall Windows it will get rid of those last
    > lingering Kodak registry entries that you say are left for good reason.

    (do
    > you work for Kodak?).
    >
    > Anyhoo ... feel ten years older than I did on Saturday - am now about to

    rip
    > the whole computer apart and connect the necessary parts up to my old
    > motherboard to see if I have any luck with that. It will make a nice

    change
    > from reading/writing about possible solutions :)
    >
    >
     
    Ron Baird, Jun 17, 2004
    #17
  18. jimsin

    jimsin Guest

    "Ron Baird" <> wrote in message
    news:cassae$k77$...
    > Hi Jim,
    >
    > I think the real issue here is that your system does not meet the basic
    > requirements. BTW, did you follow the usual uninstall process of removing
    > EasyShare using the ADD Remove feature of Windows......


    Yes it does only have 48MB RAM - but I've been working on the premise that
    it's not going to take over 48MB of RAM to run the camera detection
    Software.

    Anyway - I'm now fully aware that the problem is nothing to do with the
    camera or software - somebody brought along an MP3 player that should
    autodetect, and the same thing happened.

    It would appear that it's either a problem with the USB port, or that
    chipset I refered to on the motherboard - seems there were a number of
    versions, but mine has issues with USB.

    Believe me, after spending maybe 40+ hours looking into this, I know a thing
    or two about USB ports now, and it's not your typical device conflict type
    problem.

    So ... I've taken the first advice I received. Ordered a new computer I
    can't afford - but it's 2.4ghz, 128MB RAM and windows XP + 6 USB ports -
    should work like a dream.

    Many thanks to everybody who tried to help.

    Jim
     
    jimsin, Jun 23, 2004
    #18
  19. jimsin

    pjp Guest

    Get that 128megs ram upped to 512 megs and it'll work like a dream but with
    only 128megs running xp don't count on it otherwise.


    "jimsin" <> wrote in message
    news:FvmCc.1251$...
    >
    >
    >
    > "Ron Baird" <> wrote in message
    > news:cassae$k77$...
    > > Hi Jim,
    > >
    > > I think the real issue here is that your system does not meet the basic
    > > requirements. BTW, did you follow the usual uninstall process of

    removing
    > > EasyShare using the ADD Remove feature of Windows......

    >
    > Yes it does only have 48MB RAM - but I've been working on the premise that
    > it's not going to take over 48MB of RAM to run the camera detection
    > Software.
    >
    > Anyway - I'm now fully aware that the problem is nothing to do with the
    > camera or software - somebody brought along an MP3 player that should
    > autodetect, and the same thing happened.
    >
    > It would appear that it's either a problem with the USB port, or that
    > chipset I refered to on the motherboard - seems there were a number of
    > versions, but mine has issues with USB.
    >
    > Believe me, after spending maybe 40+ hours looking into this, I know a

    thing
    > or two about USB ports now, and it's not your typical device conflict type
    > problem.
    >
    > So ... I've taken the first advice I received. Ordered a new computer I
    > can't afford - but it's 2.4ghz, 128MB RAM and windows XP + 6 USB ports -
    > should work like a dream.
    >
    > Many thanks to everybody who tried to help.
    >
    > Jim
    >
    >
     
    pjp, Jun 23, 2004
    #19
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. Ron Hunter
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    470
    Ron Hunter
    May 8, 2006
  2. Jerome Bigge

    New Kodak CX6200

    Jerome Bigge, Dec 9, 2003, in forum: Digital Photography
    Replies:
    9
    Views:
    447
    Ron Hunter
    Dec 11, 2003
  3. Zebra
    Replies:
    3
    Views:
    13,303
    SkyWriting
    Dec 16, 2010
  4. Roger Stone

    Kodak CX6200 vs. Old NiMH batteries

    Roger Stone, Jun 24, 2004, in forum: Digital Photography
    Replies:
    6
    Views:
    477
    Ron Baird
    Jun 28, 2004
  5. jstrutton99

    Kodak CX6200 Battery Question

    jstrutton99, Nov 15, 2006, in forum: Digital Photography
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    405
    jstrutton99
    Nov 15, 2006
Loading...

Share This Page