EasyCleaner & RegCleaner

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Julie P., Jun 21, 2004.

  1. Julie P.

    Julie P. Guest

    Hi, I have started to implement the advice on Mike's page. I went to
    download EasyCleaner and RegCleaner. For RegCleaner, the link does not work:

    "The web site you are trying to access has exceeded its allocated data
    transfer".

    Is there another website that has this?

    And for EasyCleaner, I installed that three times. The first two times, I
    could not find where it was installed (it said it was in my TweakUI folder,
    but when I checked it on my desktop, they weren't in there). The third time,
    I forced it to download to a different folder on my desktop. I installed it,
    and updated. But then it said in order to install the update, I had to close
    EasyCleaner, uninstall it, restart, then install the updates. But I don't
    know where the updates were loaded to, and I don't know what they're called.
    Is there an easier way to do this?

    Thanks!
    Julie P., Jun 21, 2004

  2. Julie P.

    Julie P. Guest

    "Julie P." <> wrote in message

    > And for EasyCleaner, I installed that three times. The first two times, I
    > could not find where it was installed (it said it was in my TweakUI

    folder,
    > but when I checked it on my desktop, they weren't in there). The third

    time,
    > I forced it to download to a different folder on my desktop. I installed

    it,
    > and updated. But then it said in order to install the update, I had to

    close
    > EasyCleaner, uninstall it, restart, then install the updates. But I don't
    > know where the updates were loaded to, and I don't know what they're

    called.
    > Is there an easier way to do this?

    I just went and started installation of EasyCleaner again to see where the
    updates were, and I checked the ToniArts folder where EasyCleaner was
    installed, and there were no updates. I don;t want to have to reinstall
    EasyCleaner just so I can uninstall it again.
    Julie P., Jun 21, 2004

  3. Julie P.

    Julie P. Guest

    "Julie P." <> wrote in message
    > Hi, I have started to implement the advice on Mike's page. I went to
    > download EasyCleaner and RegCleaner. For RegCleaner, the link does not

    work:

    > "The web site you are trying to access has exceeded its allocated data
    > transfer".
    >
    > Is there another website that has this?

    ok, I just installed RegCleaner, but not EasyCleaner yet.

    It seems to me though, after reading the help file for RegCleaner and Toni
    Hellinius's EasyCleaner page, that these programs cause lots of problems.
    For example, RegCleaner can make it hard to print:

    "Shell Extensions Tab

    Here's a list of all the file associations. Example: If you right-click an
    mp3 file, there's some special items on the popup menu, with RegCleaner you
    can remove those extra commands you don't need. Example: If you don't even
    have a printer you don't need ability to print some files with a
    right-click."

    I don't have my printer connected right now since my zip drive is in a
    portable state right now, but if I ran the above, I wouldn't be able to
    print by right-click.

    And on Toni Hellinius's page, there are a lot of items blacklisted, since
    removing them caused problems.

    Have people used these two programs without problem?
    Julie P., Jun 21, 2004
  4. The regcleaner link works for me. Get ver. 4.3.

    Uninstall EasiCleaner and download the latest version 2.6.373 from
    http://personal.inet.fi/business/toniarts/files/EClea2_0.exe
    http://personal.inet.fi/business/toniarts/ecleane.htm
    Install to the default folder.

    Richard McCann, Jun 21, 2004
  5. Julie P.

    Julie P. Guest

    Julie P., Jun 21, 2004
  6. "Julie P." <> wrote in message
    > ok, I just installed RegCleaner, but not EasyCleaner yet.
    >
    > It seems to me though, after reading the help file for RegCleaner and Toni
    > Hellinius's EasyCleaner page, that these programs cause lots of problems.
    > For example, RegCleaner can make it hard to print:
    >
    > "Shell Extensions Tab
    >
    > Here's a list of all the file associations. Example: If you right-click an
    > mp3 file, there's some special items on the popup menu, with RegCleaner

    you
    > can remove those extra commands you don't need. Example: If you don't even
    > have a printer you don't need ability to print some files with a
    > right-click."
    >
    > I don't have my printer connected right now since my zip drive is in a
    > portable state right now, but if I ran the above, I wouldn't be able to
    > print by right-click.
    >
    > And on Toni Hellinius's page, there are a lot of items blacklisted, since
    > removing them caused problems.
    >
    > Have people used these two programs without problem?

    Running the program just identifies errors etc. You have to highlight or
    check an item to delete/fix it.

    In RegCleaner leave the file extensions. I use it to remove registry entries
    for programs that have been uninstalled, remove add/remove entries for
    programs that have been uninstalled, and Tools | Registry Cleanup | Do them
    all. I don't touch stuff I don't know about.

    I use EasyCleaner occasionally for a registry cleanup but check in the
    registry before I delete anything. If in doubt, I leave it. Never had a
    problem with either program.

    I more often use RegSeeker which seems to find more but use care again.
    http://www.hoverdesk.net/freeware.htm

    Whichever you use, enable backups of anything you delete.
    Richard McCann, Jun 21, 2004
  7. "Richard McCann" <> wrote in message

    > "Julie P." <> wrote in message
    > > ok, I just installed RegCleaner, but not EasyCleaner yet.
    > >
    > > It seems to me though, after reading the help file for RegCleaner and

    Toni
    > > Hellinius's EasyCleaner page, that these programs cause lots of

    problems.
    > > For example, RegCleaner can make it hard to print:
    > >
    > > "Shell Extensions Tab
    > >
    > > Here's a list of all the file associations. Example: If you right-click

    an
    > > mp3 file, there's some special items on the popup menu, with RegCleaner

    > you
    > > can remove those extra commands you don't need. Example: If you don't

    even
    > > have a printer you don't need ability to print some files with a
    > > right-click."
    > >
    > > I don't have my printer connected right now since my zip drive is in a
    > > portable state right now, but if I ran the above, I wouldn't be able to
    > > print by right-click.
    > >
    > > And on Toni Hellinius's page, there are a lot of items blacklisted,

    since
    > > removing them caused problems.
    > >
    > > Have people used these two programs without problem?
    > >

    > Running the program just identifies errors etc. You have to highlight or
    > check an item to delete/fix it.
    >
    > In RegCleaner leave the file extensions. I use it to remove registry

    entries
    > for programs that have been uninstalled, remove add/remove entries for
    > programs that have been uninstalled, and Tools | Registry Cleanup | Do

    them
    > all. I don't touch stuff I don't know about.
    >
    > I use EasyCleaner occasionally for a registry cleanup but check in the
    > registry before I delete anything. If in doubt, I leave it. Never had a
    > problem with either program.
    >
    > I more often use RegSeeker which seems to find more but use care again.
    > http://www.hoverdesk.net/freeware.htm
    >
    > Whichever you use, enable backups of anything you delete.

    I missed your earlier post and you have started a new one, what are you
    trying to achieve?
    Richard McCann, Jun 21, 2004
  8. Julie P.

    Julie P. Guest

    > "Julie P." <> wrote in message
    > > ok, I just installed RegCleaner, but not EasyCleaner yet.
    > >
    > > It seems to me though, after reading the help file for RegCleaner and

    Toni
    > > Hellinius's EasyCleaner page, that these programs cause lots of

    problems.
    > > For example, RegCleaner can make it hard to print:
    > >
    > > "Shell Extensions Tab
    > >
    > > Here's a list of all the file associations. Example: If you right-click

    an
    > > mp3 file, there's some special items on the popup menu, with RegCleaner

    > you
    > > can remove those extra commands you don't need. Example: If you don't

    even
    > > have a printer you don't need ability to print some files with a
    > > right-click."
    > >
    > > I don't have my printer connected right now since my zip drive is in a
    > > portable state right now, but if I ran the above, I wouldn't be able to
    > > print by right-click.
    > >
    > > And on Toni Hellinius's page, there are a lot of items blacklisted,

    since
    > > removing them caused problems.
    > >
    > > Have people used these two programs without problem?
    > >

    > Running the program just identifies errors etc. You have to highlight or
    > check an item to delete/fix it.

    which is problematic, since I often do not know what deleting it will do.

    > In RegCleaner leave the file extensions. I use it to remove registry

    entries
    > for programs that have been uninstalled, remove add/remove entries for
    > programs that have been uninstalled, and Tools | Registry Cleanup | Do

    them
    > all. I don't touch stuff I don't know about.

    ok, i will adopt this plan then. seems simple enough.

    > I use EasyCleaner occasionally for a registry cleanup but check in the
    > registry before I delete anything. If in doubt, I leave it. Never had a
    > problem with either program.
    >
    > I more often use RegSeeker which seems to find more but use care again.
    > http://www.hoverdesk.net/freeware.htm
    >
    > Whichever you use, enable backups of anything you delete.

    Thanks for your help Richard. I will post back how everything goes!
    Julie P., Jun 22, 2004
  9. Julie P.

    Julie P. Guest

    > I missed your earlier post and you have started a new one, what are you
    > trying to achieve?

    I'm trying to (a) clean my registry, so my computer runs more efficiently,
    including faster restart times, and (b) trying to fix a problem on IE6 which
    prevents me from viewing large portions of certain pages, such as
    www.discovery.com.
    Julie P., Jun 22, 2004