Easy way to burn 30gb of files onto DVD

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by JesterDev, May 22, 2004.

  1. JesterDev

    JesterDev Guest

    wrote:

    > Hi, I need a program that can burn 30gb files on upto 7 DVD's
    >
    > The files range from 200mb to 700mb each.
    > Is there a program out there that will organise the files into disc
    > sets so I don't have to sit here moving files into 4.7gb sets?
    >
    > At the moment, I have to make 7 folders and then keep juggling the
    > files around to make them fit onto discs.
    >
    > Any ideas?

    The way you are doing it is the best method I can think of. Your going
    to have to sit there anyway in order to put in new dvd's every so often.

    JesterDev

  3. JesterDev

    Valverdez Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > Hi, I need a program that can burn 30gb files on upto 7 DVD's
    >
    > The files range from 200mb to 700mb each.
    > Is there a program out there that will organise the files into disc
    > sets so I don't have to sit here moving files into 4.7gb sets?
    >
    > At the moment, I have to make 7 folders and then keep juggling the
    > files around to make them fit onto discs.
    >
    > Any ideas?

    Burn to the brim:
    http://www.webattack.com/get/burntorim.shtml

    It's freeware and it sounds like this will help you out. I've used it and
    it works great.

    Valverdez
    Valverdez, May 23, 2004
  4. JesterDev

    Guest

    On Sat, 22 May 2004 23:21:11 -0400, "Valverdez" <>
    wrote:

    >> At the moment, I have to make 7 folders and then keep juggling the
    >> files around to make them fit onto discs.
    >>
    >> Any ideas?

    >Burn to the brim:
    >http://www.webattack.com/get/burntorim.shtml
    >
    >It's freeware and it sounds like this will help you out. I've used it and
    >it works great.

    What values do I need to enter for a DVD?
    It asks for:

    Cluster size (byte)
    Media size Clusters and Megabyte
    File system size: Clusters and Megabyte
    Allowed waste size: Clusters and Megabyte
    , May 23, 2004
  5. JesterDev

    Valverdez Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > On Sat, 22 May 2004 23:21:11 -0400, "Valverdez" <>
    > wrote:
    >
    > >> At the moment, I have to make 7 folders and then keep juggling the
    > >> files around to make them fit onto discs.
    > >>
    > >> Any ideas?

    > >Burn to the brim:
    > >http://www.webattack.com/get/burntorim.shtml
    > >
    > >It's freeware and it sounds like this will help you out. I've used it

    and
    > >it works great.

    > What values do I need to enter for a DVD?
    > It asks for:
    >
    > Cluster size (byte)
    > Media size Clusters and Megabyte
    > File system size: Clusters and Megabyte
    > Allowed waste size: Clusters and Megabyte

    I guess I should have looked first... I have used it several times for CD's
    but I have not tried it on DVD's yet, I just assumed it would work, same
    concept. You can customize everything, cluster size, media size etc... BUT
    I have looked high and low for something that would read the cluster size of
    my DVD and I could not find anything, the closest I found was a freeware
    called DVD Identifier. With DVD Ident you can get everythinf BUT the
    existing cluster size, I guess you will have to look around, I will as well.
    I'll let you know if I find anything.
    Valverdez, May 23, 2004
  6. JesterDev

    Unk Guest

    On Sun, 23 May 2004 01:12:58 +0100, wrote:

    >Hi, I need a program that can burn 30gb files on upto 7 DVD's
    >
    >The files range from 200mb to 700mb each.
    >Is there a program out there that will organise the files into disc
    >sets so I don't have to sit here moving files into 4.7gb sets?
    >
    >At the moment, I have to make 7 folders and then keep juggling the
    >files around to make them fit onto discs.
    >
    >Any ideas?

    Use WinRar
    http://www.rarlab.com/

    You can specify how large each segment of the spanned archive is to be.

    Run WinRar, click "Wizard", Check "Create new archive", Next, Select the
    folders you want, "OK", Give it a name, Next, the next option allows you to
    select the size of each segment of the span. You can select up to 700 meg
    for each spanned segment.

    You'll have to spend a hour or so familiarizing yourself with the program,
    but you can create an archive of any size. 30 gig is not a problem.
    The only problem is how much free hard drive space you have to create the
    spanned archive.

    When WinRar has created the span, drag & drop the segments to your DVD
    burner program until the DVD is full, continue with the next DVDs until all
    the segments have been burned. By being compressed, it will also take less
    DVDs as well.

    Although you can create one 30 gig spanned archive, you might want to limit
    it to the size of one DVD. That way, you can expand the archive directly
    from the DVD to the hard drive without copying the segments to the hard
    drive first.

    Since you have seven folders, I'd make one spanned archive for each of the
    seven folders.

    Just make sure that each folder is around 5 gig. WinRar is going to compress
    it so it will end up being smaller than 4.7 gig. NOTE: If they're video or
    audio files, they're ALREADY compressed, so WinRar won't be able to compress
    them much more.
    Unk, May 23, 2004
  7. JesterDev

    Guest

    On Sun, 23 May 2004 16:36:07 -0400, Unk <> wrote:

    >On Sun, 23 May 2004 01:12:58 +0100, wrote:
    >
    >>Hi, I need a program that can burn 30gb files on upto 7 DVD's
    >>
    >>The files range from 200mb to 700mb each.
    >>Is there a program out there that will organise the files into disc
    >>sets so I don't have to sit here moving files into 4.7gb sets?
    >>
    >>At the moment, I have to make 7 folders and then keep juggling the
    >>files around to make them fit onto discs.

    >Run WinRar, click "Wizard", Check "Create new archive", Next, Select the
    >folders you want, "OK", Give it a name, Next, the next option allows you to
    >select the size of each segment of the span. You can select up to 700 meg
    >for each spanned segment.
    >
    >You'll have to spend a hour or so familiarizing yourself with the program,
    >but you can create an archive of any size. 30 gig is not a problem.
    >The only problem is how much free hard drive space you have to create the
    >spanned archive.
    >
    >When WinRar has created the span, drag & drop the segments to your DVD
    >burner program until the DVD is full, continue with the next DVDs until all
    >the segments have been burned. By being compressed, it will also take less
    >DVDs as well.
    >
    >Although you can create one 30 gig spanned archive, you might want to limit
    >it to the size of one DVD. That way, you can expand the archive directly
    >from the DVD to the hard drive without copying the segments to the hard
    >drive first.

    I want the files to be intact thought.
    The files are mostly movies, some 750mb, some 700mb, some 200mb and
    some are 400mb.

    Is there a programe that will move the files for me without zipping or
    compressing them?
    , May 24, 2004