    error mesage. Migration data was stored on 64Bit computer and easy transfer
    cannot apply the data! Help please :-( My kids are going to kill me if I
    don't get their stuff back :-(
    =?Utf-8?B?bGFzYW5jbXQ=?=, Apr 12, 2007

  2. Hi, lasancmt.

    > Trying to restore from this file I get an
    > error mesage.

    First obvious question: What did the error message say?

    > the actual 64GB
    > .MIF file ended up on Drive C:\

    ..MIF? Typo for .MIG, I assume.

    > due to the vagaries of easy transfer

    I tried Easy Transfer only once and the results were disappointing, and I've
    never been able to Upgrade to ANY version of Vista. Only Clean Installs
    have worked for me. :>( So I'll bow out now and let others help with your
    actual problem.

    RC
    --
    R. C. White, CPA
    San Marcos, TX

    Microsoft Windows MVP
    (Running Windows Mail in Vista Ultimate x64)

    R. C. White, MVP, Apr 12, 2007

  3. Could you give us a bit more information about what your system looks like
    now? (Drive arrangements, etc.) and what version you are running. You said
    Business, but didn't specify 32-bit or 64-bit.

    If you're trying to use the Easy Transfer Companion, I know that is only
    32-bit. But if just the native Easy Transfer that's on the distribution DVD,
    then I don't know of a reason it shouldn't work, though I admit I haven't
    tried to use it to go from 64-bit to 32-bit.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Apr 12, 2007
  4. I am running on a Intel Celeron CPU 3.06 GHZ and 1GB of memory. The HD is
    130GB. I upgraded from a 64bit Version of XP and to be honest I was a bit
    disappointed that my so called 'upgrade' put me back on a Vista 32 Bit
    platform. Naively I assumed that the Vista disk in my Action Pack
    subscription would be for a 64 bit version of Vista or that it would
    automatically choose the best available option for the platform's capability.
    ( I expressly specified a 64 bit processor and motherboard at PC World when I
    built this thing last November). Appearently I was wrong. Maybe they will
    include a 64 bit version in the next Action pack update shipment). On the
    bright side I just found a folder old.windows that has all the same data
    files music etc for all users that I was expecting to restore from the .MIG
    file So Upgrade advisor was wrong! You can upgrade (or downgrade accoring to
    ones point of view) from Windows CP64 to Vista 32 bit! You can forget about
    'Easy Transfer' but the important user files are preserved in an old.windows
    folder roughly the same size as the .MIG file created. You just have to
    recreate the profiles and copy user data manually I guess.
    Marcus

    =?Utf-8?B?bGFzYW5jbXQ=?=, Apr 12, 2007
  5. =?Utf-8?B?bGFzYW5jbXQ=?=

    John Barnes Guest

    1. You did a custom install, not an upgrade from 64-bit to 32-bit. Certain
    custom installs do leave behind the user data in a .old file which is a
    convenience to those who forgot or improperly backed up their old data. I'm
    with R.C. in that I haven't had any luck with any Easy Transfer or upgrade
    (32-32 bit only).You always have to re-install all programs and settings
    when custom installing.

    John Barnes, Apr 12, 2007
  6. You're correct, the current action pack doesn't include a 64bit version.
    Like you, I'm hoping that gets corrected soon.

    The current shipping only includes both DVDs for the Ultimate versions. In
    all other cases you need to explicitly order a 64-bit version - the default
    is generally 32-bit. They are on different DVDs.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Apr 12, 2007