Easy to use camera for web images

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Phil Donaldson, Nov 4, 2003.

  1. Hi,

    I'm a web designer and I want to get a digital camera to loan to my
    clients. They'll take photos of their products so I can put them on web
    sites.
    It has to be easy to use and idiot proof.

    Can anyone recommend a camera that would suit?

    Here's some criteria I can think of:
    - Turn it on, point, click
    - Easy to get an image onto a PC without installing software or drivers
    - Resolution is unimportant since these are for the web
    - Colour and clarity is important
    - Must be easy to get good focus.

    The main problem I've had in the past taking these sort of photos is
    lighting and reflections - more with small items like glass bottles. Is
    there an easy way to deal with this?

    As far as I can see I don't need an expensive camera as long as I can
    solve the lighting problems. Maybe there are accessories that can help
    with this.

    Comments on buying second hand would also be helpful.

    Any advice appreciated.

    Thanks,

    Phil Donaldson
    Web Site Developer
    Anyware Limited
    Internet: http://www.anyware.co.nz

    Increase sales using your brain not your wallet
    Free newsletter - Guerrilla Retail Tips
    http://www.guerrillaretail.co.nz/articles.htm
    Phil Donaldson, Nov 4, 2003

  2. Phil Donaldson

    WebKatz Guest

    It is going to be very hard to get good product shots from unskilled hands,
    no matter what camera you have. You might be better off cutting a deal with
    a photographer and have you cleitns bring their products to him.
    WebKatz, Nov 4, 2003

  3. Phil Donaldson

    CARBUFF Guest

    >I'm a web designer and I want to get a digital camera to loan to my
    >clients. They'll take photos of their products so I can put them on web
    >sites.
    >It has to be easy to use and idiot proof.
    >
    >Can anyone recommend a camera that would suit?

    >Here's some criteria I can think of:
    >- Turn it on, point, click
    >- Easy to get an image onto a PC without installing software or drivers
    >- Resolution is unimportant since these are for the web
    >- Colour and clarity is important
    >- Must be easy to get good focus.

    I picked up a kodak dc3200 on ebay for $30 for the kids to use. I must say that
    my 9 year old has no problem operating it. Turn it on, point, click, youre
    done. It takes great outdoor pics, for indoor the flash is a bit strong at
    times. 1 mp is fine for your needs, no zoom to deal with, and it takes cheap cf
    cards. Its fairly rugged made of hard plastic. It does have serial only output
    (or vga to a tv set) but a cf card reader is a $10 item. No tripod mount
    though. A cheap and easy solution.

    George
    CARBUFF, Nov 4, 2003
  4. "Phil Donaldson" <> wrote in message

    (big snip)

    > As far as I can see I don't need an expensive camera as long as I can
    > solve the lighting problems. Maybe there are accessories that can help
    > with this.
    >
    > Any advice appreciated.
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Phil Donaldson
    > Web Site Developer
    > Anyware Limited
    > Internet: http://www.anyware.co.nz

    ---------------

    Right...the only "accessory" needed for this project is a PHOTOGRAPHER !

    Remember the old computer saying? Sure you do! Garbage in = garbage out.

    Journalist
    journalist-north, Nov 4, 2003
  5. Phil Donaldson

    Wendy S Guest

    Phil Donaldson wrote:
    > I want to get a digital camera to loan to my clients. They'll take photos
    > of their products so I can put them on web sites.
    > It has to be easy to use and idiot proof.
    > Can anyone recommend a camera that would suit?

    Does Sony still make the 'FD' series? They write to 3.5" floppy disks.
    Can't get much simpler than that!

    --
    Wendy in Chandler, AZ
    Wendy S, Nov 4, 2003
  6. Phil Donaldson

    Patrick L. Guest

    If you value the salability of your clients products, you will direct them
    to a photographer who specializes in this.

    Cameras with good clarity have good resolution, so one begets the other.
    It's all about lighting, and there is where they will make their big
    mistake, if they don't understand lighting concepts for their products.

    Patrick L.

    Patrick L., Nov 4, 2003
  7. Thanks for all the comments.

    It's usually a case of take the photo and see if it's good enough to put
    on the web site. Often they are good enough.
    I'm planning to find a profesional photographer who can offer a package
    deal, but most of my clients don't want to spend that money until they
    fail themselves. They need to try it before they believe how hard it can
    be to get right.

    Is there some sort of inexpensive light I can get that will improve the
    general quality of light or something? I don't need a magazine quality
    photo.

    Thanks,
    Phil

    Phil Donaldson, Nov 4, 2003
  8. Phil Donaldson

    Patrick L. Guest

    > Thanks for all the comments.
    >
    > It's usually a case of take the photo and see if it's good enough to put
    > on the web site. Often they are good enough.
    > I'm planning to find a profesional photographer who can offer a package
    > deal, but most of my clients don't want to spend that money until they
    > fail themselves. They need to try it before they believe how hard it can
    > be to get right.
    >
    > Is there some sort of inexpensive light I can get that will improve the
    > general quality of light or something? I don't need a magazine quality
    > photo.
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Phil

    For product photography ideas, try http://www.sell-it-on-the-net.com , lots
    of good advice there, and with a little ingenuity, you can probably
    duplicate many of their set ups.

    Patrick L.
    Patrick L., Nov 5, 2003
  9. Phil Donaldson

    WebKatz Guest

    Phil Donaldson <> wrote in message news:<hkSpb.4880$>...

    >They need to try it before they believe how hard it can
    > be to get right.

    Yep, been there before. I can sympathize.

    > Is there some sort of inexpensive light I can get that will improve the
    > general quality of light or something? I don't need a magazine quality
    > photo.

    A soft, bright, continuous light source is probably your best bet. You
    can get incandescent light kits at most decent photo shops for cheap.
    For small product, you could position a light just above the camera
    and bounce it backwards to get even lighting.
    WebKatz, Nov 5, 2003