Easy question I think-- microphone/headset USB cable adapter??

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by MZB, Oct 13, 2005.

  1. MZB

    MZB Guest

    Got a question for you folks.

    I have a microphone/headset that I use with my Dell Dimension 2400.

    It plugs into one of the ports, but I'm not sure what the port is called.

    I now also have an Inspiron 2200. In the back, it just has USB ports (and
    network and video ports).

    So, I guess I need to be able to plug the microphone/headset into the USB
    port.

    Is there a cable adapter I can buy?? If so, what is it called?

    (If not, I assume I would have to buy a new USB micr/headset).

    Mel

    MZB, Oct 13, 2005

  2. MZB

    why? Guest

    On Thu, 13 Oct 2005 16:26:35 -0400, MZB wrote:

    >Got a question for you folks.
    >
    >I have a microphone/headset that I use with my Dell Dimension 2400.

    It was supplied with the Dell? Or it is another brand?

    >It plugs into one of the ports, but I'm not sure what the port is called.

    www.dell.com , look at the online documentation there are tech guides,
    setup, user guides.

    http://support.euro.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/dim2400/en/F75560LRs.pdf

    Describe the connector? Is there a symbol on the connector?

    Look for a picture of the connector, http://images.google.com

    Type A/B/mini B USB cables
    http://www.lecroy.com/tm/Solutions/Protocol/images/USB_OTG_Cables.gif

    Typical audio sockets
    http://www.hardware.windowsreinstall.com/pics/soundcard1.jpg

    Which socket on this picture of a 2400?
    http://pcworld.com/reviews/graphics/115403-23122_bk.jpg

    From the top down , below the power cord socket.

    purple - keyboard / green - mouse

    light blue - 9 pins - serial port / larger red - printer

    dark blue - 15 pins - vdu

    3 round sockets - audio, pink mike , green speaker , light blue most
    likely line in.

    All 4? USB on the black L shape. USB ports identified by this symbol
    http://www.kodak.com/US/images/en/digital/dvc300/connectingUSB.jpg

    USB/Firewire connector / symbols
    http://www.coolnerds.com/Newbies/Ports/ports03.gif

    SVHS
    http://www.pcreport.de/online2004/bilder/fullsize/symbol-svideo2.jpg

    All of those found quickly using http://images.google.com

    The light gray / white with the 3 PC symbol is Ethernet port.

    >I now also have an Inspiron 2200. In the back, it just has USB ports (and
    >network and video ports).
    >
    >So, I guess I need to be able to plug the microphone/headset into the USB
    >port.
    >
    >Is there a cable adapter I can buy?? If so, what is it called?

    Adapter from what to USB? :-O

    >(If not, I assume I would have to buy a new USB micr/headset).
    >
    >Mel

    Me

    why?, Oct 13, 2005

  3. MZB

    Silvabod Guest

    IF your mic/headset combo has 2 plugs (like mine) then one goes to the "line
    out" and one to the "mic" sockets - easy to determine which is which if you
    don't have documentation to tell you. Play a cd or music file, insert ONE
    jackplug at a time into Line-out" and you'll hear the sound..
    The "mic" and "headphone" jacks go ONLY into the sound card or on-board
    audio - AFAIK there's NO USB connectivity possible for soundcards/chips, so
    therefore no USB adapter exists.

    Don't know the "Inspiration" spec, but highly unlikely that its motherboard
    doesn't have sound capability (therefore, sockets for the headset/speakers).
    Or, has it got speakers connected at the back already, with no "front"
    connectivity? In which case the headphone jack replaces the speaker jack -
    you can't have both. (and the "mic" jack, you will find very adjacent to the
    speaker jack)

    Silvabod.

    Silvabod, Oct 14, 2005