    Location:
    Colorado
    I have been using xp for several years it has never froze or locked up. A few weeks ago I started watching dvds and about the same time I started getting pc freeze. It has done it three times. Coincidence? I have looked but I haven't found anything that the dvds may have dumped in my computer. Am I not checking someplace?
    Talofa, Jan 21, 2009

  2. Talofa

    MarkSatterfield

    Joined:
    Jan 26, 2008
    Messages:
    77
    Location:
    Central Florida
    Lock up on a computer that is several years old. Hmm... Well, check a few things.

    * Is it a virus of some kind? Try TrendMicro's free online Housecall scanner.

    * Is it an out of date driver, or some other corruption? Try Windows Update. Be sure to use the "Custom" option and select all of the available components. If there are updates, install and keep trying the update service until nothing else is available.

    * Is it hardware? A little more difficult to check. Not long ago a P4 computer of mine started acting up. Inconsistent behavior. Turned out it was the 12 V power supply. To check the power supply & hardware, remove everything you can from the computer (remove everything including extra hard drives, floppy drives, CD drives, et al; extra PCI cards like modems & dual monitors, etc.). Then use the computer for awhile. Hardware is a tricky testing event, best of luck with it!

    --Mark
    MarkSatterfield, Jan 27, 2009

  3. Talofa

    http://www.marksatterfield.com