easy one

Discussion in 'Computer Security' started by RB, Mar 3, 2006.

  1. RB

    RB Guest

    Got an old Gateway 2000 I'm trying to get going for a struggling church
    youth group. It was the office pc some years back, and has been stored. No
    one is around now who was here back when it was used. Password long since
    lost. I tried all the easy ones, "church", "office", etc; no go.

    I believe the password demand problem is a pc (Gateway) thing, not a Windows
    password. The reason I say this is because it pops up right away----before
    Windows loads.

    How do I deal with this?
    RB, Mar 3, 2006
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. RB

    CJ Guest

    RB wrote:
    > Got an old Gateway 2000 I'm trying to get going for a struggling
    > church youth group. It was the office pc some years back, and has
    > been stored. No one is around now who was here back when it was
    > used. Password long since lost. I tried all the easy ones,
    > "church", "office", etc; no go.
    > I believe the password demand problem is a pc (Gateway) thing, not a
    > Windows password. The reason I say this is because it pops up right
    > away----before Windows loads.
    >
    > How do I deal with this?


    Try clearing the BIOS, failing that just reformat the disk and reinstall.

    CJ
    CJ, Mar 3, 2006
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. RB

    RB Guest

    How do I clear the BIOS?
    RB, Mar 3, 2006
    #3
  4. RB

    CJ Guest

    RB wrote:
    > How do I clear the BIOS?


    Google "how do I clear the BIOS"

    CJ
    CJ, Mar 3, 2006
    #4
  5. RB

    Kerodo Guest

    In article <tL1Of.591$>,
    says...
    > Got an old Gateway 2000 I'm trying to get going for a struggling church
    > youth group. It was the office pc some years back, and has been stored. No
    > one is around now who was here back when it was used. Password long since
    > lost. I tried all the easy ones, "church", "office", etc; no go.
    >
    > I believe the password demand problem is a pc (Gateway) thing, not a Windows
    > password. The reason I say this is because it pops up right away----before
    > Windows loads.
    >
    > How do I deal with this?
    >
    >
    >

    It does sound like a BIOS password. See if you can hit the delete key
    repeatedly at boot time and that should get you into the bios setup.
    Don't know if you can change the password though, since it will probably
    ask you for the existing one first. No idea how you'd wipe that from
    the bios setup though.
    --
    Kerodo
    Kerodo, Mar 3, 2006
    #5
  6. RB

    CJ Guest

    Kerodo wrote:
    > It does sound like a BIOS password. See if you can hit the delete key
    > repeatedly at boot time and that should get you into the bios setup.
    > Don't know if you can change the password though, since it will
    > probably ask you for the existing one first. No idea how you'd wipe
    > that from the bios setup though.


    http://support.gateway.com/s/MOTHERBD/INTEL/2508901/250890119.shtml

    CJ
    CJ, Mar 3, 2006
    #6
  7. RB

    RB Guest

    Thanks very much. This is a new one for me. Good to keep learning things,
    though.
    RB, Mar 3, 2006
    #7
  8. RB

    donnie Guest

    On Fri, 3 Mar 2006 14:37:41 -0600, "RB" <>
    wrote:

    >Got an old Gateway 2000 I'm trying to get going for a struggling church
    >youth group. It was the office pc some years back, and has been stored. No
    >one is around now who was here back when it was used. Password long since
    >lost. I tried all the easy ones, "church", "office", etc; no go.
    >
    >I believe the password demand problem is a pc (Gateway) thing, not a Windows
    >password. The reason I say this is because it pops up right away----before
    >Windows loads.
    >
    >How do I deal with this?

    ###########################################
    What BIOS is it? It might flash on the screen right before the passwd
    prompt. I have a couple of files w/ default BIOS passwds.
    >
    donnie, Mar 4, 2006
    #8
  9. RB

    CJ Guest

    RB wrote:
    > Thanks very much. This is a new one for me. Good to keep learning
    > things, though.


    You are welcome.

    CJ
    CJ, Mar 4, 2006
    #9
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. George

    easy one - winxp

    George, Jun 3, 2005, in forum: Computer Support
    Replies:
    6
    Views:
    601
    Jimmy Dean
    Jun 4, 2005
  2. g wills
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    335
    g wills
    Sep 8, 2004
  3. Ablang

    FotoChute - Camera to storage in one easy step

    Ablang, Apr 29, 2005, in forum: Digital Photography
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    368
    Ablang
    Apr 29, 2005
  4. GJ
    Replies:
    1
    Views:
    641
    Meat Plow
    May 23, 2007
  5. Replies:
    2
    Views:
    865
    Bert Hyman
    Dec 31, 2008
Loading...

Share This Page