Easy identification of photos on DCF CD-ROM

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Hans, Aug 21, 2003.

  1. Hans

    Hans Guest

    Greetings! I have a set of photos taken at a recent family reunion. I want
    to cut them onto a CD in DCF format along with a thumbnail index in HTML
    form. I'll make copies of the CD for anyone in the family who wants one,
    and then they'll be able to take the CD to their nearest photofinisher to
    get prints made of the particular photos they want.

    Now then, if they want prints made, they could write down the file names of
    the form "/DCIM/101FOTOS/PICT0123.JPG". But that's a bit unwieldy.
    According to the DCF spec, they should be able to identify the photos using
    id's of the form "101-0123". I asked at my favorite photofinishers, and
    they said that, yes, they do understand the shorter form.

    My question is this: Do *all* photofinishers understand DCF photo id's of
    the form "101-0123"? That is, if someone took a DCF compatible CD to their
    local Black's or Wally-Mart or Zellers or whatever, and used short form
    image id's, would they get the photos they wanted?

    (Getting the answer "yes" from my photofinisher of choice doesn't help since
    they really know what they're doing. Unfortunately, not all do.)

    Cheers! Hans

    --
    http://www.boldts.net/
    Hans, Aug 21, 2003