Easy Data Recovery?

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by trevordixon@gmail.com, Aug 1, 2006.

  1. Guest

    I decided I wanted to try Linux, so I installed Ubuntu in another
    partion on my hard drive. It worked great and so I decided to delete my
    Windows partition and give the space to Linux. I downloaded GParted
    (gparted.sourceforge.net) and burned a Live CD. Here's how my hard
    drive looked at this point:

    +--------------------------+-----------------+--------------+
    | Windows (NTFS) | Linux | Linux Swap |
    | 16/17 GB Used | 10/11 GB Used | |
    +--------------------------+-----------------+--------------+

    I booted into GParted and performed the following steps:

    1) Delete Windows partition
    2) Copy and paste Linux into Windows position
    3) Delete original Linux partition
    4) Resize copy of old Linux partition to take the remaining space

    I clicked apply and 30 seconds later it finished. I restarted the
    computer and to my dismay it wouldn't boot off the hard drive. I booted
    into a Ubuntu Live CD, and found my hard drive looking like this:

    +--------------------------------------------+--------------+
    | Linux 12 GB | Linux Swap |
    | .5/28 GB Used | |
    +--------------------------------------------+--------------+

    Only about 1/20 of the space that should be used is being used! When I
    mount the partition, there's only a "Lost+Found" folder that I can't
    open! Is there any way I can get my 10 GB of data back?

    Thanks,
    Trevor

    , Aug 1, 2006

  2. Uplink Guest

    click and select manage flags, then check 'boot' and restart the
    computer. it should work then.

    Uplink, Aug 1, 2006

  3. Guest

    It didn't work. Grub gives me error 22. Any suggestions?

    Uplink wrote:
    > click and select manage flags, then check 'boot' and restart the
    > computer. it should work then.
    >

    > wrote:
    > > I decided I wanted to try Linux, so I installed Ubuntu in another
    > > partion on my hard drive. It worked great and so I decided to delete my
    > > Windows partition and give the space to Linux. I downloaded GParted
    > > (gparted.sourceforge.net) and burned a Live CD. Here's how my hard
    > > drive looked at this point:
    > >
    > > +--------------------------+-----------------+--------------+
    > > | Windows (NTFS) | Linux | Linux Swap |
    > > | 16/17 GB Used | 10/11 GB Used | |
    > > +--------------------------+-----------------+--------------+
    > >
    > > I booted into GParted and performed the following steps:
    > >
    > > 1) Delete Windows partition
    > > 2) Copy and paste Linux into Windows position
    > > 3) Delete original Linux partition
    > > 4) Resize copy of old Linux partition to take the remaining space
    > >
    > > I clicked apply and 30 seconds later it finished. I restarted the
    > > computer and to my dismay it wouldn't boot off the hard drive. I booted
    > > into a Ubuntu Live CD, and found my hard drive looking like this:
    > >
    > > +--------------------------------------------+--------------+
    > > | Linux 12 GB | Linux Swap |
    > > | .5/28 GB Used | |
    > > +--------------------------------------------+--------------+
    > >
    > > Only about 1/20 of the space that should be used is being used! When I
    > > mount the partition, there's only a "Lost+Found" folder that I can't
    > > open! Is there any way I can get my 10 GB of data back?
    > >
    > > Thanks,
    > > Trevor

    , Aug 1, 2006
  4. > wrote in message
    > It didn't work. Grub gives me error 22. Any suggestions?

    It sounds to me like the boot sector may have gotten damaged when you
    deleted the Windows partition. Perhaps you can use a MS-DOS boot disk and
    get the files off? Or re-install Windows and it should rewrite the boot
    sector and give you a menu at startup allowing you to choose which OS to
    boot.

    0054040905416, Aug 2, 2006
  5. Guest

    But why is only 600 MB of space used on my Linux partition when there
    was 10 GB of data there before?

    0054040905416 wrote:
    > > wrote in message
    > > It didn't work. Grub gives me error 22. Any suggestions?

    > It sounds to me like the boot sector may have gotten damaged when you
    > deleted the Windows partition. Perhaps you can use a MS-DOS boot disk and
    > get the files off? Or re-install Windows and it should rewrite the boot
    > sector and give you a menu at startup allowing you to choose which OS to
    > boot.

    , Aug 2, 2006
  6. That I cannot say. I don't use Linux, soryy.

    <>...

    0054040905416, Aug 3, 2006