    General thoughts on ?

    Thanks,
    B.
    Robert11, Apr 14, 2006

  2. Robert11

    Jimchip Guest

    On 2006-04-14, Robert11 <> wrote:
    > Hello:
    >
    > Re Easy Cleaner by ToniArts:
    >
    > Always a bit leary with these kind of programs. Running XP.
    >
    > Has this one proven "safe" ?

    It's as good as any, I guess.

    > Any caveats or negatives to its use ?

    No negatives, really. caveat: Backup the registry file *first*, before you
    do anything else.

    > General thoughts on ?

    Doesn't Microsoft still have a free regcleaner?
    A program like AdAware will scan your registry, too.

    --
    "...very few phenomena can pull someone out of Deep Hack Mode, with two
    noted exceptions: being struck by lightning, or worse, your *computer* being
    Jimchip, Apr 14, 2006

  3. Robert11

    Robert11 Guest

    From OP to JimChip: Re: "Easy Cleaner" By Toni Arts: Safe ?

    Hi,

    Thanks for help.

    How do I backup my registry, first (running XP) ?
    Not too good at this stuff.

    Thanks,
    Bob

    ---------------------

    Robert11, Apr 14, 2006
  4. Robert11

    Spuds Guest

    On Fri, 14 Apr 2006 07:38:51 -0400, "Robert11" <> wrote:

    >Hello:
    >
    >Re Easy Cleaner by ToniArts:
    >
    >Always a bit leary with these kind of programs. Running XP.
    >
    >Has this one proven "safe" ?
    >Any caveats or negatives to its use ?
    >
    >General thoughts on ?

    I've found EasyCleaner to be one of the more conservative reg cleaners I've
    used, with regard to the amount of entries it flags as redundant. Aside from
    that, it's best to heed the previous advice given - back up your registry
    first.
    --
    Half of the people in the world are below average.
    Spuds, Apr 14, 2006
  5. Robert11

    beenthere Guest

    Re: From OP to JimChip: Re: "Easy Cleaner" By Toni Arts: Safe ?

    "Robert11" <> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > Thanks for help.
    >
    > How do I backup my registry, first (running XP) ?
    > Not too good at this stuff.
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Bob

    Easy Cleaner is a good and easy program for you.
    When you go to the registry Item, you can do a scan.
    Then you have a Save button in the bottom row.
    This let`s you save a copy of anything you delete.
    ANYWAY. Read the instructions.
    beenthere, Apr 14, 2006
  6. Robert11

    Plato Guest

    Robert11 wrote:

    > How do I backup my registry, first (running XP) ?
    > Not too good at this stuff.

    You can set a new restore point, or go below, Win XP Secific, Registry
    Backup:

    http://www.bootdisk.com/utility.htm
    Plato, Apr 14, 2006
  7. Robert11

    Plato Guest

    Robert11 wrote:

    > Re Easy Cleaner by ToniArts:
    > Always a bit leary with these kind of programs. Running XP.
    >
    > Has this one proven "safe" ?
    > Any caveats or negatives to its use ?

    No registry cleaner is EVER perfectly safe. However, Easy Cleaner is the
    most conservative of the bunch. Dont ever use the dupe .dll finder tho
    that comes with it or any other cleaner.

    --
    http://www.bootdisk.com/
    Plato, Apr 14, 2006
  8. "Robert11" <> wrote in news:27SdnQg5daFZFKLZRVn-
    :

    > Hello:
    >
    > Re Easy Cleaner by ToniArts:
    >
    > Always a bit leary with these kind of programs. Running XP.
    >
    > Has this one proven "safe" ?
    > Any caveats or negatives to its use ?
    >
    > General thoughts on ?
    >
    > Thanks,
    > B.

    In the Windoze Me daze, I used ToniArts' Easy Cleaner, but it seems that
    the consensus of opinions in news://alt.comp.freeware was that RegCleaner
    by Jouni Vuoro was the safest and bestest free one available. Back then
    he authored and published RegCleaner as freeware and jv Power Tools was
    freeware as well, but in a development stage.

    The "bestest" part is always going to be arguable at some level, but the
    point to be made is that there was/is a huge community in acf who would
    offer support and advice on when/what/where/how to use these free
    registry tools.

    The last available freeware version of RegCleaner is v4.3.0.780 - which I
    still use on Windows XP [Home, Pro and MCE] with some success. There's a
    minor display problem only in WinXP down at the toolbar, which JV said he
    was not going to fix because the functionality was unimpaired, and he was
    moving on to rich-payware-tycoon status at about the same time of
    Microsoft's release of Windows XP...

    I always install to the defaults, and on cleanup just click "do them
    all" - it automatically makes a backup/restore, and I have *never* had
    any problem with it screwing anything up through Win9x or XP.

    That being said, and it's merely IMHO, but once I've invested in Windows
    XP, I went ahead and went with TuneUp Utilities 2004, now v2006, which is
    payware, but *well* worth it to me, inasmuch as it's rather safe at
    default level, and again, I've tweaked it to my needs and never had any
    problem with it either...

    The thing is: RegCleaner defaults to a feature where once you install it
    and launch it, it displays all your installed software and tags them as
    "New." Next time you launch it, it will tag them all as "Old" except
    those which you have recently installed. This means it is rather easy to
    install trialware, and if you don't like it, uninstall it, launch
    RegCleaner and 1) check to see if the software left any registry
    remnants; and if so, 2) check them out in "Advanced" and/or clean them
    out! Still effective in WinXP and pretty d@>n good for a freebie!

    Good luck to you.

    --
    "Every time you download pirated MP3's, God blinds a
    masturbator. So, please stop it right now!" --RIAA
    Bucky Breeder, Apr 14, 2006
  9. Robert11

    Jimchip Guest

    On 2006-04-14, beenthere <> wrote:

    > "Robert11" <> wrote in message
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> Thanks for help.
    >>
    >> How do I backup my registry, first (running XP) ?
    >> Not too good at this stuff.
    >>
    >> Thanks,
    >> Bob
    >>

    > Easy Cleaner is a good and easy program for you.
    > When you go to the registry Item, you can do a scan.
    > Then you have a Save button in the bottom row.
    > This let`s you save a copy of anything you delete.
    > ANYWAY. Read the instructions.

    Yes, but one should do a registry backup first, outside of the EasyClean
    save options.

    --
    'Just in case...'
    Jimchip, Apr 15, 2006