    replacing DVDs that have become scratched or misplaced.

    Thanks!

    Steve

    Steve Forrestor, Nov 29, 2004

  2. Steve Forrestor

    Larry Guest

    In article <>, says...
    > What is the easiest and/or best way to make archival copies of my DVDs?
    >
    > My kids are sending me to the poor house... It is costing me a fortune
    > replacing DVDs that have become scratched or misplaced.
    >
    > Thanks!
    >
    > Steve

    Retro-active birth control:

    Seriously, control the kids... there is no excuse for letting them destroy
    your videos.

    OTOH if what you are REALLY doing is copying rentals DVDshrink 3.2 will do
    the job.

    --
    Larry Lynch
    Mystic, Ct.

    Larry, Nov 29, 2004

  3. Steve Forrestor

    Reg Guest

    http://www.thescrapyard.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/files/video/using%20freeware%20utilities%20to%20backup%20your%20movies.htm>

    Reg, Nov 30, 2004
  4. Steve Forrestor

    Pug Fugley Guest

    Quit buying them DVD's to destroy. That's the cheapest way out. If they
    can't learn to treat things with care, they don't need them.

    Pug Fugley, Nov 30, 2004
  5. "Larry" <> wrote in message
    > In article <>, says...
    >> What is the easiest and/or best way to make archival copies of my DVDs?
    >>
    >> My kids are sending me to the poor house... It is costing me a fortune
    >> replacing DVDs that have become scratched or misplaced.
    >>
    >> Thanks!
    >>
    >> Steve
    >>

    > Retro-active birth control:
    >
    > Seriously, control the kids... there is no excuse for letting them destroy
    > your videos.
    >
    > OTOH if what you are REALLY doing is copying rentals DVDshrink 3.2 will do
    > the job.
    >

    > --
    > Larry Lynch
    > Mystic, Ct.

    Sorry, no criminal intent, but thanks for the help inspite of the false
    accusation.
    --
    Steve

    Steve Forrestor, Nov 30, 2004
  6. "Reg" <> wrote in message

    > "Steve Forrestor" <> wrote in message
    >> What is the easiest and/or best way to make archival copies of my DVDs?
    >>
    >> My kids are sending me to the poor house... It is costing me a fortune
    >> replacing DVDs that have become scratched or misplaced.
    >>
    >> Thanks!
    >>
    >> Steve
    >>
    >> get DVD Decrypter and DVD Shrink (both free) and then go to the following
    >> site for an easy to use guide, it got me started I was lost till I found
    >> it.

    > http://www.thescrapyard.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/files/video/using%20freeware%20utilities%20to%20backup%20your%20movies.htm>

    Thanks
    --
    Steve

    Steve Forrestor, Nov 30, 2004
  7. "Pug Fugley" <> wrote in message
    > Quit buying them DVD's to destroy. That's the cheapest way out. If they
    > can't learn to treat things with care, they don't need them.
    >

    > "Steve Forrestor" <> wrote in message
    >> What is the easiest and/or best way to make archival copies of my DVDs?
    >>
    >> My kids are sending me to the poor house... It is costing me a fortune
    >> replacing DVDs that have become scratched or misplaced.
    >>
    >> Thanks!
    >>
    >> Steve

    Thanks for sharing your Solomon-like wisdom.
    --
    Steve

    Steve Forrestor, Nov 30, 2004
  8. Steve Forrestor

    Larry Guest

    In article <>, says...
    > Sorry, no criminal intent, but thanks for the help inspite of the false
    > accusation.
    > --
    > Steve

    If you saw an accusation there, then you need to see with better eyes than
    that.

    --
    Larry Lynch
    Mystic, Ct.

    Larry, Nov 30, 2004
  9. Steve Forrestor

    Baked Guest

    On Tue, 30 Nov 2004 10:47:49 -0500, Larry <> wrote:

    >If you saw an accusation there, then you need to see with better eyes than
    >that.

    Funny, I saw it also.

    Baked, Nov 30, 2004
  10. "Larry" <> wrote in message
    > In article <>, says...
    >> Sorry, no criminal intent, but thanks for the help inspite of the false
    >> accusation.
    >> --
    >> Steve
    >>

    > If you saw an accusation there, then you need to see with better eyes than
    > that.
    >

    > --
    > Larry Lynch
    > Mystic, Ct.

    Larry, you said, and I quote, "... if what you are REALLY doing is copying
    rentals ..."

    That is a blatant accusation of stealing copyrighted material.

    Steve Forrestor, Nov 30, 2004
  11. "Baked" <> wrote in message
    > On Tue, 30 Nov 2004 10:47:49 -0500, Larry <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>If you saw an accusation there, then you need to see with better eyes than
    >>that.

    > Funny, I saw it also.

    Baked,
    Thanks for the reality check!
    Steve

    PS... See my response to Mr. Lynch.

    Steve Forrestor, Nov 30, 2004
  12. Steve Forrestor

    Larry Guest

    In article <>, says...

    > "Larry" <> wrote in message
    > > In article <>, says...
    > >> Sorry, no criminal intent, but thanks for the help inspite of the false
    > >> accusation.
    > >> --
    > >> Steve
    > >>

    > > If you saw an accusation there, then you need to see with better eyes than
    > > that.
    > >

    > > --
    > > Larry Lynch
    > > Mystic, Ct.

    > Larry, you said, and I quote, "... if what you are REALLY doing is copying
    > rentals ..."
    >
    > That is a blatant accusation of stealing copyrighted material.

    "IF" is a VERY big word, and shouldn't be interpreted to infer or imply
    anything other than what I said.

    The latest laws covering DVD, and other digital media is VERY clear and makes
    it against the law to copy DVDs under ANY circumstances... Regardless of
    reason it is illegal in the US at this time.

    Im sure that hurts some feeleings, and Im sure its not fair, but it IS THE
    LAW AS THE LAW NOW STANDS.

    So whether the OP is "Backing up" or copying for archive purposes, he is
    still breaking the law.

    --
    Larry Lynch
    Mystic, Ct.

    Larry, Nov 30, 2004
  13. Steve Forrestor

    Biz Guest

    > "Larry" <> wrote in message
    > > In article <>,

    says...
    > >> Sorry, no criminal intent, but thanks for the help inspite of the false
    > >> accusation.
    > >> --
    > >> Steve
    > >>

    > > If you saw an accusation there, then you need to see with better eyes

    than
    > > that.
    > >

    > > --
    > > Larry Lynch
    > > Mystic, Ct.

    > Larry, you said, and I quote, "... if what you are REALLY doing is copying
    > rentals ..."
    >
    > That is a blatant accusation of stealing copyrighted material.

    Apparently thats tougher for you to swallow then you being a lousy parent...

    Biz, Nov 30, 2004
  14. Steve Forrestor

    Video Flyer Guest

    On 11/30/04 1:00 PM, in article
    5r3rd.75707$, "Biz"
    <> wrote:

    > "Steve Forrestor" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "Larry" <> wrote in message
    >>> In article <>,

    > says...
    >>>>

    >>> If you saw an accusation there, then you need to see with better eyes

    > than
    >>> that.
    >>>

    >>> --
    >>> Larry Lynch
    >>> Mystic, Ct.

    >> Larry, you said, and I quote, "... if what you are REALLY doing is copying
    >> rentals ..."
    >>
    >> That is a blatant accusation of stealing copyrighted material.
    >>

    > Apparently thats tougher for you to swallow then you being a lousy parent...

    Oh, please do everyone here - including yourself - a favor and leave the ad
    hominem attacks on parenting skills out of the argument. All they serve to
    do is demonstrate with resounding clarity how little experience you have
    with raising kids.

    Personally, I can see how Mr. Lynch's comment could be read as an accusation
    although I didn't read it that way, myself. Looked to me like he was trying
    to cover the bases in answering the question posed but since making a copy
    of a DVD you've purchased can be considered "fair use" while copying rentals
    can not, I can certainly see why some saw an accusation there.

    By the way, aren't the laws affecting these matters of copying DVDs
    currently in flux?

    Neal

    Video Flyer, Nov 30, 2004
  15. Steve Forrestor

    Larry Guest

    In article <BDD2272D.28F6%>, says...
    > Oh, please do everyone here - including yourself - a favor and leave the ad
    > hominem attacks on parenting skills out of the argument. All they serve to
    > do is demonstrate with resounding clarity how little experience you have
    > with raising kids.
    >
    > Personally, I can see how Mr. Lynch's comment could be read as an accusation
    > although I didn't read it that way, myself. Looked to me like he was trying
    > to cover the bases in answering the question posed but since making a copy
    > of a DVD you've purchased can be considered "fair use" while copying rentals
    > can not, I can certainly see why some saw an accusation there.
    >
    > By the way, aren't the laws affecting these matters of copying DVDs
    > currently in flux?
    >
    > Neal
    > --
    > "If morons could fly, it'd be pitch black." - Anonymous

    It would be good if they were in flux, but the "Digital Millenium Act" as it
    is called makes it a violation to OWN, MAKE, OR SUPPLY ANY EQUIPMENT,
    HARDWARE OR SOFTWARE THAT DEFEATS COPY PROTECTION ON A DIGITAL RECORDING.

    Not just the act of copying, but owning equipment that can do it, is a
    violation of CURRENT U.S. law.

    "Fair Use" has NOT been interpreted by law(YET) to allow copying any digital
    medium that has copy protection.

    Until, and unless it is so interpreted by law, it is illegal to copy DVDs
    even if you own them.

    I answered the mans question, I thought in a humorous fashion, but I guess
    there are still some people on UseNet with thin skins.

    As far as Im concerned, he can copy whatever he wants, I just always try to
    be clear that I dont condone copying stuff you dont own, and that the law
    says its illegal.

    So far, AFAIK, no one has been prosecuted for making "Archive copies" of
    stuff they own, but I know that some software companies have been driven out
    of the business of making the software that does it. (remember 321???)

    --
    Larry Lynch
    Mystic, Ct.

    Larry, Nov 30, 2004
  16. "Biz" <> wrote in message

    > "Steve Forrestor" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "Larry" <> wrote in message
    >> > In article <>,

    > says...
    >> >>

    >> > If you saw an accusation there, then you need to see with better eyes

    > than
    >> > that.
    >> >

    >> > --
    >> > Larry Lynch
    >> > Mystic, Ct.

    >> Larry, you said, and I quote, "... if what you are REALLY doing is
    >> copying
    >> rentals ..."
    >>
    >> That is a blatant accusation of stealing copyrighted material.
    >>

    > Apparently thats tougher for you to swallow then you being a lousy
    > parent...

    I am sorry you feel so strongly and judge so quickly...

    Steve Forrestor, Nov 30, 2004
  17. "Video Flyer" <> wrote in message
    > On 11/30/04 1:00 PM, in article
    > 5r3rd.75707$, "Biz"
    > <> wrote:
    >

    >> "Steve Forrestor" <> wrote in message
    >>>
    >>> "Larry" <> wrote in message

    >> says...

    >> than

    >>> Larry, you said, and I quote, "... if what you are REALLY doing is
    >>> copying
    >>> rentals ..."
    >>>
    >>> That is a blatant accusation of stealing copyrighted material.
    >>>

    >> Apparently thats tougher for you to swallow then you being a lousy
    >> parent...
    >>

    > Oh, please do everyone here - including yourself - a favor and leave the
    > ad
    > hominem attacks on parenting skills out of the argument. All they serve to
    > do is demonstrate with resounding clarity how little experience you have
    > with raising kids.
    >
    > Personally, I can see how Mr. Lynch's comment could be read as an
    > accusation
    > although I didn't read it that way, myself. Looked to me like he was
    > trying
    > to cover the bases in answering the question posed but since making a copy
    > of a DVD you've purchased can be considered "fair use" while copying
    > rentals
    > can not, I can certainly see why some saw an accusation there.
    >
    > By the way, aren't the laws affecting these matters of copying DVDs
    > currently in flux?
    >
    > Neal
    > --
    > "If morons could fly, it'd be pitch black." - Anonymous

    Neal,

    It is always a pleasure to hear the thoughts of a reasonable person!

    Yes, I do believe you are right; hence, my use of the word "intent".

    Respectfully,

    Steve

    Steve Forrestor, Nov 30, 2004
  18. "Larry" <> wrote in message
    > In article <BDD2272D.28F6%>, says...
    >> Oh, please do everyone here - including yourself - a favor and leave the
    >> ad
    >> hominem attacks on parenting skills out of the argument. All they serve
    >> do is demonstrate with resounding clarity how little experience you have
    >> with raising kids.
    >>
    >> Personally, I can see how Mr. Lynch's comment could be read as an
    >> accusation
    >> although I didn't read it that way, myself. Looked to me like he was
    >> trying
    >> to cover the bases in answering the question posed but since making a
    >> copy
    >> of a DVD you've purchased can be considered "fair use" while copying
    >> rentals
    >> can not, I can certainly see why some saw an accusation there.
    >>
    >> By the way, aren't the laws affecting these matters of copying DVDs
    >> currently in flux?
    >>
    >> Neal
    >> --
    >> "If morons could fly, it'd be pitch black." - Anonymous
    >>

    > It would be good if they were in flux, but the "Digital Millenium Act" as
    > it
    > is called makes it a violation to OWN, MAKE, OR SUPPLY ANY EQUIPMENT,
    > HARDWARE OR SOFTWARE THAT DEFEATS COPY PROTECTION ON A DIGITAL RECORDING.
    >
    > Not just the act of copying, but owning equipment that can do it, is a
    > violation of CURRENT U.S. law.
    >
    > "Fair Use" has NOT been interpreted by law(YET) to allow copying any
    > digital
    > medium that has copy protection.
    >
    > Until, and unless it is so interpreted by law, it is illegal to copy DVDs
    > even if you own them.
    >
    > I answered the mans question, I thought in a humorous fashion, but I guess
    > there are still some people on UseNet with thin skins.
    >
    > As far as Im concerned, he can copy whatever he wants, I just always try
    > be clear that I dont condone copying stuff you dont own, and that the law
    > says its illegal.
    >
    > So far, AFAIK, no one has been prosecuted for making "Archive copies" of
    > stuff they own, but I know that some software companies have been driven
    > out
    > of the business of making the software that does it. (remember 321???)
    >

    > --
    > Larry Lynch
    > Mystic, Ct.

    Larry,

    I am deeply sorry if I read more into your comments than was intended.

    Sincerely,

    Steve

    Steve Forrestor, Nov 30, 2004
  19. Steve Forrestor

    Guncho Guest

    > So whether the OP is "Backing up" or copying for archive purposes, he is
    > still breaking the law.

    Larry

    You may be right but WHO CARES!

    Chris

    Guncho, Nov 30, 2004
  20. Steve Forrestor

    Guncho Guest

    "Steve Forrestor" <> wrote in message news:<>...
    > What is the easiest and/or best way to make archival copies of my DVDs?
    >
    > My kids are sending me to the poor house... It is costing me a fortune
    > replacing DVDs that have become scratched or misplaced.
    >
    > Thanks!
    >
    > Steve

    I use DVD Xpress to illegally copy rented DVD's illegally.

    Did I mention that I do this illegally?

    CHris

    Guncho, Nov 30, 2004