EARTHQUAKE STRIKES SUNDERLAND

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Stickems., Nov 3, 2005.

  1. Stickems.

    Stickems. Guest

    As you are probably aware a massive earthquake measuring 5.8 on the
    Richter scale struck Sunderland in the early hours. At the epicentre in
    Pennywell, victims were seen roaming around aimlessly muttering "wheeys
    keeys are these keeeeys". The earthquake decimated the entire area
    causing about 30 quid worth of damage. Several priceless collections of
    ashtrays from the Balearics and Tenerife were damaged beyond repair.
    Three historic areas of burnt out cars, some over seven years old were
    disturbed. Many locals were awoken before their Giro's arrived. The
    Sunderland Echo reported that hundreds of locals were confused,
    bewildered and still trying to come to terms with the loss of Ladbrokes.
    One resident a Miss Sharon Smith, a 15 year old mother of six said "It
    was a shock to my little Chardonnay Mercedes. She came into my room
    crying and put me and Winston off our stroke but my youngest two Tyler
    Morgan and Brooklyn Romeo Rainbow luckily slept through it all. I was
    still shaking whilst watching Trisha the next day".
    Apparently looting, mugging and car crime did carry on as normal. The
    Red Cross has so far managed to ship 4000 crates of lager into the area
    to help the stricken locals. Rescue workers are still searching through
    the rubble and have recovered large amounts of belongings including
    Benefit Books, jewellery by Elizabeth Duke at Argos and finest bone
    china from Mad Harry's.
    *HOW CAN YOU HELP?*
    This appeal is to raise money for food and clothes parcels for those
    caught up in the disaster. Clothing is urgently needed and amongst the
    most sought after items are;
    Fila or Burberry Baseball Caps
    Kappa Tracksuit Tops (his and hers)
    Adidas Trackie Bottoms 3/4 length,
    White Socks
    Rockport Boots
    and anything else from the Donnay shop
    Food parcels must take into consideration local tastes and should
    include Micro Meals, Pot Noodles, Baked Beanz, Super Noodles, Sausage
    Rolls and Greggs pasties for the babies. Special brew or Thunderbird
    would also be gratefully received.
    Every little helps. Remember:
    22p buys a biro to help fill in a compensation form
    £2.00 buys chips with curry and blue Panda pop for a family of nine
    £5.00 buys 20 B&H and a box of Swan Vestas to calm the nerves of a
    grieving ten year old
    Please don't send tents for shelter as the sight of posh accommodation
    is unfair on the residents of Hendon and Southwick.
    THANK YOU FOR YOUR HELP

    Stickems., Nov 3, 2005

  2. Stickems. bashed at the keyboard and came up with this gem of wisdom in
    24hoursupport.helpdesk:

    > As you are probably aware a massive earthquake measuring 5.8 on the
    > Richter scale struck Sunderland in the early hours.

    Jesus, not again. This has moved from Birmingham to Sunderland. Get some new
    material for gods sake.

    Michael Thompson, Nov 3, 2005

  3. Stickems.

    Pat Guest

    On Thu, 03 Nov 2005 11:14:54 GMT, "Stickems." <>
    wrote:

    >As you are probably aware a massive earthquake measuring 5.8 on the
    >Richter scale struck Sunderland in the early hours.

    5.8, that's just a little baby quake. I've been in 3 6.4's, a 7.1, and a
    7.5. Now a 7.5 is a real earthquake. It will get your attention. The
    rest? just sleep through them.

    --
    Pat

    Pat, Nov 3, 2005
  4. Stickems.

    Scraggy Guest

    Pat wrote:
    > On Thu, 03 Nov 2005 11:14:54 GMT, "Stickems." <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >> As you are probably aware a massive earthquake measuring 5.8 on the
    >> Richter scale struck Sunderland in the early hours.

    > 5.8, that's just a little baby quake. I've been in 3 6.4's, a 7.1,
    > and a
    > 7.5. Now a 7.5 is a real earthquake. It will get your attention. The
    > rest? just sleep through them.

    Whooooooosssshhhhhhhh.
    members. Groucho Marx

    Scraggy, Nov 3, 2005
  5. Pat wrote:

    > On Thu, 03 Nov 2005 11:14:54 GMT, "Stickems."
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >>As you are probably aware a massive earthquake measuring 5.8 on
    >>the Richter scale struck Sunderland in the early hours.

    > 5.8, that's just a little baby quake. I've been in 3 6.4's, a
    > 7.1, and a 7.5. Now a 7.5 is a real earthquake. It will get your

    Holy shit! Where were those 7+ quakes?

    Personal record: 6.7.

    http://blinkynet.net/odds/nridge.html

    --
    Blinky
    Killing all Google Groups posts.

    Blinky the Shark, Nov 3, 2005
  6. Stickems.

    Pat Guest

    On 3 Nov 2005 20:39:24 GMT, Blinky the Shark <>
    wrote:

    >Pat wrote:
    >
    >> On Thu, 03 Nov 2005 11:14:54 GMT, "Stickems."
    >> <> wrote:
    >>
    >>>As you are probably aware a massive earthquake measuring 5.8 on
    >>>the Richter scale struck Sunderland in the early hours.

    >> 5.8, that's just a little baby quake. I've been in 3 6.4's, a
    >> 7.1, and a 7.5. Now a 7.5 is a real earthquake. It will get your

    >Holy shit! Where were those 7+ quakes?
    >
    >Personal record: 6.7.
    >
    >http://blinkynet.net/odds/nridge.html

    About 30 miles off the coast of Eureka Cal. Knocked down some buildings
    and bridges. We were cut off from the outside world for several days.
    Hwy 101 and 299 were both blocked by large slides. My house, built in
    1888 on post and piers with no foundation, made it through pretty much
    unscathed. A couple door frames were no longer as square as before.

    --
    Pat

    Pat, Nov 3, 2005
  7. Pat wrote:

    > About 30 miles off the coast of Eureka Cal. Knocked down some
    > buildings and bridges. We were cut off from the outside world
    > for several days. Hwy 101 and 299 were both blocked by large
    > slides. My house, built in 1888 on post and piers with no
    > foundation, made it through pretty much unscathed. A couple door

    That's surprising.

    > frames were no longer as square as before.

    What was the time frame of the quakes?

    Blinky the Shark, Nov 3, 2005
  8. Stickems.

    Pat Guest

    On 3 Nov 2005 23:24:57 GMT, Blinky the Shark <>
    wrote:

    >Pat wrote:
    >
    >> About 30 miles off the coast of Eureka Cal. Knocked down some
    >> buildings and bridges. We were cut off from the outside world
    >> for several days. Hwy 101 and 299 were both blocked by large
    >> slides. My house, built in 1888 on post and piers with no
    >> foundation, made it through pretty much unscathed. A couple door

    >That's surprising.
    >
    >> frames were no longer as square as before.

    >What was the time frame of the quakes?

    Probably about 10-15 seconds. It seemed a lot longer.

    --
    Pat

    Pat, Nov 3, 2005
  9. Pat wrote:

    > On 3 Nov 2005 23:24:57 GMT, Blinky the Shark
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >>Pat wrote:
    >>
    >>> About 30 miles off the coast of Eureka Cal. Knocked down some
    >>> buildings and bridges. We were cut off from the outside world
    >>> for several days. Hwy 101 and 299 were both blocked by large
    >>> slides. My house, built in 1888 on post and piers with no
    >>> foundation, made it through pretty much unscathed. A couple
    >>> door

    >>That's surprising.
    >>
    >>> frames were no longer as square as before.

    >>What was the time frame of the quakes?

    > Probably about 10-15 seconds. It seemed a lot longer.

    Northridge was 30-45, IIRC. Anyway, what I meant was what year,
    not duration.

    Blinky the Shark, Nov 4, 2005
  10. Blinky the Shark quacked like a deranged mallard in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:

    > Pat wrote:
    >
    >> On 3 Nov 2005 23:24:57 GMT, Blinky the Shark
    >> <> wrote:

    >>>That's surprising.

    >>>What was the time frame of the quakes?

    >> Probably about 10-15 seconds. It seemed a lot longer.

    > Northridge was 30-45, IIRC. Anyway, what I meant was what year,
    > not duration.

    I was in the Good Friday, March 27, 1964 Alaskan earthquake, stationed at
    Ft. Richardson, AK at the time. That one was 3-5 minutes in duration and a
    9.2 on the Richter scale.

    --
    The Old Sourdough
    Have you ever wondered why Republicans are so interested in encouraging

    The Old Sourdough, Nov 4, 2005
  11. The Old Sourdough wrote:

    > I was in the Good Friday, March 27, 1964 Alaskan earthquake,
    > stationed at Ft. Richardson, AK at the time. That one was 3-5
    > minutes in duration and a 9.2 on the Richter scale.

    I've read about that one. Yow!

    How far were you from the epicenter?

    Blinky the Shark, Nov 4, 2005
  12. Blinky the Shark quacked like a deranged mallard in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:

    > The Old Sourdough wrote:
    >
    >> I was in the Good Friday, March 27, 1964 Alaskan earthquake,
    >> stationed at Ft. Richardson, AK at the time. That one was 3-5
    >> minutes in duration and a 9.2 on the Richter scale.

    > I've read about that one. Yow!
    >
    > How far were you from the epicenter?

    Approximately 100 miles NW. The epicenter was in Prince William Sound, and
    Ft. Richardson is in Anchorage. There were portions of Fourth Avenue in
    Anchorage (where I used to go to imbibe a few cold ones) that dropped 15
    feet or more. It's fortunate that the quake happened when it did, or there
    would probably have been more injuries/deaths.

    The Old Sourdough, Nov 4, 2005
  13. Stickems.

    Pat Guest

    On 4 Nov 2005 00:04:20 GMT, Blinky the Shark <>
    wrote:

    >Pat wrote:
    >
    >> On 3 Nov 2005 23:24:57 GMT, Blinky the Shark
    >> <> wrote:

    >>>That's surprising.

    >>>What was the time frame of the quakes?

    >> Probably about 10-15 seconds. It seemed a lot longer.

    >Northridge was 30-45, IIRC. Anyway, what I meant was what year,
    >not duration.

    My mistake, the Eureka EQ was 7.2 not 7.5, I just looked it up (big
    difference, I know). This was in 1980. I was about 20 miles from the
    epicenter. I also went through a 7.1 Crescent City quake (1991) but was
    some 80-90 miles away and the 7.2 at Cape Mendocino (1992) about 80-100
    miles away. Neither of these did much damage in Eureka. Then moved to
    SoCal in time for the Landers and Northridge quakes. Felt both, of
    course, but neither did damage in my locale.

    --
    Pat

    Pat, Nov 4, 2005
  14. The Old Sourdough wrote:
    > Blinky the Shark quacked like a deranged mallard in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:
    >

    >>Pat wrote:

    >>>Probably about 10-15 seconds. It seemed a lot longer.

    >>Northridge was 30-45, IIRC. Anyway, what I meant was what year,
    >>not duration.
    >>

    > I was in the Good Friday, March 27, 1964 Alaskan earthquake, stationed at
    > Ft. Richardson, AK at the time. That one was 3-5 minutes in duration and a
    > 9.2 on the Richter scale.

    I have an acquaintance that was in the middle of that one. It shook him
    (please pardon the pun) so much that even a minor tremor in Seattle
    scared the shit out of him years later. He panicked and ran from the
    house and left the family to fend for themselves. By the way, I've heard
    before that the first earthquake in written history was on Good Friday,
    the original Good Friday. I don't have any proof that's true.

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=, Nov 4, 2005