    --
    Blinky RLU 297263
    Killing all posts from Google Groups

    Blinky the Shark, Aug 2, 2007

  2. Blinky the Shark

    Mike Easter Guest

    Blinky the Shark wrote:
    > I just saw someone elsewhere mentioning that they couldn't get this
    > group via Earthlink's feed all of a sudden.

    I can get this group from EL's server, but...

    - EL news is extremely shabbily administered and resourced
    - EL is undergoing an attempted transition to outsourcing
    - EL news is acting even more erractically than normal, perhaps related
    to transitional changes
    - posted via EL news

    --
    Mike Easter

    Mike Easter, Aug 2, 2007

  3. Mike Easter wrote:
    > Blinky the Shark wrote:
    >> I just saw someone elsewhere mentioning that they couldn't get this
    >> group via Earthlink's feed all of a sudden.

    > I can get this group from EL's server, but...

    I could "see" it because it was in my rc file, but the server wouldn't
    respond. Same with the other group.

    Blinky the Shark, Aug 2, 2007
  4. Blinky the Shark

    Mike Easter Guest

    Blinky the Shark wrote:
    > Mike Easter wrote:
    >> Blinky the Shark wrote:
    >>> I just saw someone elsewhere mentioning that they couldn't get this
    >>> group via Earthlink's feed all of a sudden.

    >> I can get this group from EL's server, but...

    > I could "see" it because it was in my rc file, but the server wouldn't
    > respond. Same with the other group.

    The EL server is acting funky with its auth process or something. I
    don't use the EL server for anything but the EL support groups. The
    supernews demo server for EL won't propagate the EL support groups
    posted there on to the EL server. If everyone who wanted to talk in the
    EL (nonsupport) groups would talk on the demo server then it wouldn't
    matter about the propagation, since the demo carries the EL groups.
    Everyone could stop using the EL server altogether and just go with
    supernews.

    --
    Mike Easter

    Mike Easter, Aug 2, 2007
  5. Mike Easter wrote:
    > Blinky the Shark wrote:
    >> Mike Easter wrote:
    >>>
    >>> I can get this group from EL's server, but...

    >> I could "see" it because it was in my rc file, but the server wouldn't
    >> respond. Same with the other group.

    > The EL server is acting funky with its auth process or something. I
    > don't use the EL server for anything but the EL support groups. The

    I don't even use it for that. I pretty much don't use it for anything,
    but I have it set up so I *can* if for some reason - like this one - if
    I want to.

    > supernews demo server for EL won't propagate the EL support groups
    > posted there on to the EL server. If everyone who wanted to talk in the
    > EL (nonsupport) groups would talk on the demo server then it wouldn't
    > matter about the propagation, since the demo carries the EL groups.
    > Everyone could stop using the EL server altogether and just go with
    > supernews.

    I'll pass that along to the guy who reported difficulties in the other
    group. Thanks.

    Blinky the Shark, Aug 2, 2007
  6. Blinky the Shark

    Mara Guest

    On 1 Aug 2007 23:39:10 GMT, Blinky the Shark <> wrote:

    >I just saw someone elsewhere mentioning that they couldn't get this
    >group via Earthlink's feed all of a sudden. I don't use their feed,
    >even though they are my ISP; I don't know how many times I've said "ISP
    >news feeds usually suck", and I know that many of you (yes, there *is* a
    >"you") are fully aware of that. I do have it set up on one of my news
    >clients, and I couldn't poll it, either. Other groups worked. One
    >/other/ one that that poster mentioned did not.
    >
    >This is just a heads-up to the rest that it looks like the group (yes,
    >there *is* a group) may be missing the contributors and trolls that
    >arrive via Earthlink, at least for a while.

    It seems they're having DSL and dialup problems both. No estimated repair time
    that I could find. Of course with EarthStinky it's hard to tell what's going on;
    I'm not sure *they* even know at times.

    --
    Og thought there was such thing as "evolution". How all these stupid
    people still alive? Og boggle.

    Mara, Aug 2, 2007
  7. Mara wrote:
    > On 1 Aug 2007 23:39:10 GMT, Blinky the Shark <> wrote:
    >
    >>I just saw someone elsewhere mentioning that they couldn't get this
    >>group via Earthlink's feed all of a sudden. I don't use their feed,
    >>even though they are my ISP; I don't know how many times I've said "ISP
    >>news feeds usually suck", and I know that many of you (yes, there *is* a
    >>"you") are fully aware of that. I do have it set up on one of my news
    >>clients, and I couldn't poll it, either. Other groups worked. One
    >>/other/ one that that poster mentioned did not.
    >>
    >>This is just a heads-up to the rest that it looks like the group (yes,
    >>there *is* a group) may be missing the contributors and trolls that
    >>arrive via Earthlink, at least for a while.

    > It seems they're having DSL and dialup problems both. No estimated repair time
    > that I could find. Of course with EarthStinky it's hard to tell what's going on;
    > I'm not sure *they* even know at times.

    Been on all day, and no problems from this dialup, with respect to the
    connection itself. In fact, it seems a little crisper than usual.

    As for news, it looks like they're in a transition from in-house to
    Supernews.

    Blinky the Shark, Aug 2, 2007
  8. Blinky the Shark

    Mr. Arnold Guest

    "Blinky the Shark" <> wrote in message
    >I just saw someone elsewhere mentioning that they couldn't get this
    > group via Earthlink's feed all of a sudden. I don't use their feed,
    > even though they are my ISP; I don't know how many times I've said "ISP
    > news feeds usually suck", and I know that many of you (yes, there *is* a
    > "you") are fully aware of that. I do have it set up on one of my news
    > clients, and I couldn't poll it, either. Other groups worked. One
    > /other/ one that that poster mentioned did not.
    >
    > This is just a heads-up to the rest that it looks like the group (yes,
    > there *is* a group) may be missing the contributors and trolls that
    > arrive via Earthlink, at least for a while.

    Yeah, you are correct. I had to get on the phone with EL about NG access, as
    none of the NG(s) were showing any recent post activity. They had me delete
    my NG account off of WM and recreate it. I could then access the NG servers,
    see and make posts.

    I have not gotten around to Thunderbird, but it has the same problem and
    I'll have to delete that account to and put it back.

    The problems started when all of a sudden the NG servers wanted my login
    credentials.

    As far as Internet access with a browser of email client for pop3, I have
    never had a problem with EL. It's always been with the NG servers. It was a
    couple of times NG access has been down with them for over a week where I
    had to get on the phone and go off on them to get results.

    I wish I could get rid of EL, but I won't do it as I move around the US and
    need Internet access, at this time, and they have those NG servers.

    I have been trying to get off the road for about a year now, so that I can
    with surround sound I already have the Harmon Kardon and Bose speakers for
    that, along with other things that are all sitting in storage.

    Mr. Arnold, Aug 2, 2007
  9. Blinky the Shark

    Mike Easter Guest

    Blinky the Shark wrote:

    > I'll pass that along to the guy who reported difficulties in the other
    > group.

    Also, the EL newsserver is very prone to getting its message
    identification management all screwed up. so people may have to do what
    I call 'resetting their pointers' which is to delete all of the
    downloaded headers for any given group and redownload them to get the
    newsreader and the newsserver back in sync again. Naturally all records
    of read and unread and such are wiped out.

    --
    Mike Easter

    Mike Easter, Aug 2, 2007
  10. Blinky the Shark

    Mara Guest

    On 2 Aug 2007 00:15:13 GMT, Blinky the Shark <> wrote:

    <snip>
    >> It seems they're having DSL and dialup problems both. No estimated repair time
    >> that I could find. Of course with EarthStinky it's hard to tell what's going on;
    >> I'm not sure *they* even know at times.

    >Been on all day, and no problems from this dialup, with respect to the
    >connection itself. In fact, it seems a little crisper than usual.
    >
    >As for news, it looks like they're in a transition from in-house to
    >Supernews.

    Only good can come from that.

    Mara, Aug 2, 2007
  11. Mara wrote:
    > On 2 Aug 2007 00:15:13 GMT, Blinky the Shark <> wrote:
    >
    ><snip>
    >>> It seems they're having DSL and dialup problems both. No estimated repair time
    >>> that I could find. Of course with EarthStinky it's hard to tell what's going on;
    >>> I'm not sure *they* even know at times.

    >>Been on all day, and no problems from this dialup, with respect to the
    >>connection itself. In fact, it seems a little crisper than usual.
    >>
    >>As for news, it looks like they're in a transition from in-house to
    >>Supernews.

    > Only good can come from that.

    Just got an email from them...

    <q>

    Dear Usenet User,

    Great news! We've improved our Usenet service to make your
    experience better than ever.

    We've increased article retention for most subjects as well as
    provided access to more newsgroups. Best of all, basic service
    is still free!

    </q>

    It goes on for a few horn-blowing paragraphs and nothing is mentioned
    about Supernews.

    And the introduction of the term "basic service" smells -- there has
    only been one level, so I believe the stink of an extra-cost tier is in
    the air.

    Blinky the Shark, Aug 2, 2007
  12. Mr. Arnold wrote:

    > "Blinky the Shark" <> wrote in message
    >>I just saw someone elsewhere mentioning that they couldn't get this
    >> group via Earthlink's feed all of a sudden. I don't use their feed,
    >> even though they are my ISP; I don't know how many times I've said "ISP
    >> news feeds usually suck", and I know that many of you (yes, there *is* a
    >> "you") are fully aware of that. I do have it set up on one of my news
    >> clients, and I couldn't poll it, either. Other groups worked. One
    >> /other/ one that that poster mentioned did not.
    >>
    >> This is just a heads-up to the rest that it looks like the group (yes,
    >> there *is* a group) may be missing the contributors and trolls that
    >> arrive via Earthlink, at least for a while.
    >>

    > Yeah, you are correct. I had to get on the phone with EL about NG access, as
    > none of the NG(s) were showing any recent post activity. They had me delete
    > my NG account off of WM and recreate it. I could then access the NG servers,
    > see and make posts.

    Just got a "NEW BETTER USENET FOR YOU!!!!"-style email from them. See
    my reply to Mara, just posted.

    > I have not gotten around to Thunderbird, but it has the same problem and
    > I'll have to delete that account to and put it back.
    >
    > The problems started when all of a sudden the NG servers wanted my login
    > credentials.
    >
    > As far as Internet access with a browser of email client for pop3, I have
    > never had a problem with EL. It's always been with the NG servers. It was a
    > couple of times NG access has been down with them for over a week where I
    > had to get on the phone and go off on them to get results.

    I'm still with EL after years because except for NNTP and Tech Support
    it's been reliable.

    Blinky the Shark, Aug 2, 2007
  13. Mike Easter wrote:
    > Blinky the Shark wrote:
    >
    >> I'll pass that along to the guy who reported difficulties in the other
    >> group.

    > Also, the EL newsserver is very prone to getting its message
    > identification management all screwed up. so people may have to do what
    > I call 'resetting their pointers' which is to delete all of the
    > downloaded headers for any given group and redownload them to get the
    > newsreader and the newsserver back in sync again. Naturally all records
    > of read and unread and such are wiped out.

    See "Mr. Arnold"'s reply. And mine to Mara if about the rah-rah email I
    just got from EL about their great new news service. :)

    Blinky the Shark, Aug 2, 2007
  14. Blinky the Shark

    Mike Easter Guest

    Blinky the Shark wrote:

    > the rah-rah
    > email I just got from EL about their great new news service. :)

    The rah rah mail has a real funky result to clicking on the link which I
    posted about in the EL usenet support group. EL is very disorganized
    about this, but the demo server is doing great.

    --
    Mike Easter

    Mike Easter, Aug 2, 2007
  15. Blinky the Shark

    Mr. Arnold Guest

    > Just got a "NEW BETTER USENET FOR YOU!!!!"-style email from them. See
    > my reply to Mara, just posted.

    I'll check it out. However, don't mention that backstabbing heifer Mara's
    name to me about anything. I sent her ass to the slaughter file. I don't
    want to see that cow.

    Mr. Arnold, Aug 2, 2007
  16. Mike Easter wrote:
    > Blinky the Shark wrote:
    >
    >> the rah-rah
    >> email I just got from EL about their great new news service. :)

    > The rah rah mail has a real funky result to clicking on the link which I
    > posted about in the EL usenet support group. EL is very disorganized
    > about this, but the demo server is doing great.

    Well, of course they are. 99.9999 percent of Earthlink doesn't know
    what Usenet is and that Earthlink has it.

    Blinky the Shark, Aug 2, 2007
  17. Mr. Arnold wrote:

    >> Just got a "NEW BETTER USENET FOR YOU!!!!"-style email from them. See
    >> my reply to Mara, just posted.

    > I'll check it out. However, don't mention that backstabbing heifer Mara's
    > name to me about anything. I sent her ass to the slaughter file. I don't
    > want to see that cow.

    Tell it to the Marines.

    Blinky the Shark, Aug 2, 2007
  18. Blinky the Shark

    Plato Guest

    Blinky the Shark wrote:

    > news feeds usually suck", and I know that many of you (yes, there *is* a
    > "you") are fully aware of that. I do have it set up on one of my news

    Of course their is a you. Only trolls challenge that.

    > This is just a heads-up to the rest that it looks like the group (yes,
    > there *is* a group) may be missing the contributors and trolls that
    > arrive via Earthlink, at least for a while.

    Yes of course this is a group. And all the regulars are part of the
    group. All the question askers are just asking the "group" for help.

    "nuff said"

    --
    http://www.bootdisk.com/

    Plato, Aug 2, 2007
  19. It was on, or about, Thu, 02 Aug 2007 00:48:47 +0000, that as I was
    halfway through a large jam doughnut, Blinky the Shark wrote:

    <snip drivel>

    > Tell it to the Marines.

    DooInane Asshole sent Mara into his kf, eh. She must be doing something
    right. Maybe the jackass will put me in too.

    --
    The universe exploded out of nothingness 14 billion years ago.
    14 billion years later, & some of us have 100 trillion

    William Poaster, Aug 2, 2007
  20. Blinky the Shark

    Mara Guest

    On 2 Aug 2007 00:33:36 GMT, Blinky the Shark <> wrote:

    <snip>

    >Dear Usenet User,
    >
    >Great news! We've improved our Usenet service to make your
    >experience better than ever.
    >
    >We've increased article retention for most subjects as well as
    >provided access to more newsgroups. Best of all, basic service
    >is still free!

    ></q>
    >
    >It goes on for a few horn-blowing paragraphs and nothing is mentioned
    >about Supernews.
    >
    >And the introduction of the term "basic service" smells -- there has
    >only been one level, so I believe the stink of an extra-cost tier is in
    >the air.

    You *could* just skip the middleman and go directly with Supernews. The cost is
    cheap enough, and I can highly recommend it.

    Mara, Aug 2, 2007