Early signs of Motherboard failure?

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by RAL99, Nov 21, 2004.

  1. RAL99

    RAL99 Guest

    Hi,
    I just got back from the repair shop and everything is fine now, but I was
    wondering why didn't my athlon detect that the motherboard was becoming
    unstable. For a month I was pulling my hair out, trying to go over every
    possible inch of my pc trying to find a clue as to what was going on. My pc
    was constanly rebooting, bluescreens, powerdowns, and checking itself for
    errors. Every time it checked for errors it said problems in the volume
    bitmap, file data, and freespace marked as allocated. I tried over a dozen
    times to reinstall windows and it wouldn't copy correctly, so I replaced the
    winXP with another new one and yet another new one (after exchange), didn't
    help. Even safe mode wasn't booting. I low level formatted the hard drive,
    and that wasn't helping so I bought a new one. I thought to myself it must
    be the internal modem or the sound card, so I pulled them out and still
    couldn't install windows. I knew I had no problems with my cd burner,
    because it was working with every other cd. I downloaded Fdisk, Powermax,
    and everest?? to help me along with the problems I was having. Event
    reporting, error logs, drwatson, system info showed nothing as well. Chkdsk
    /r showed errors like there was no tomorrow. At one time Windows could not
    find any drives as a reason for not starting. After replacing the battery in
    the motherboard, which didn't help too, I decided to take it to the repair
    shop, and they had a nightmare with it themselves. I was expecting for them
    to tell me that I had a bad controller, cables or even the powersupply.
    Eventually, when they tried to update the bios, the motherboard fried. I
    din't pay that much during the time at the repair shop, but I did still pay
    100's of dollars replacing parts & OS before hand. The pc is still working
    great now, (only its second day though), but why wasn't this detected by
    windows under WinME or WinXP? I could have had the problem taken care of a
    month ago by just replacing the motherboard. I did learn my lesson though...
    If I can't fix it the first time, I'll have someone else do it.

    X86 Family 6 Model 4 Stepping 2 AuthenticAMD ~959Mhz, Athlon motherboard,
    40gb + 10gb slave, 640mb ram, realtek audio AC97, (ATI 128mb graphics on the
    way), HP9100 cdrw, and external usb cable modem now.
    OS's were during the last month: WinME, XP Pro, XP Home SP2, then XP Home
    SP1...See what I mean? LOL.
    Now back to using WinXP Home SP2 build 2600 - No signs of giving me any
    trouble yet.

    Thanks,
    J.E.B.

    RAL99, Nov 21, 2004

  2. RAL99

    doS Guest

    "RAL99" <> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    > I just got back from the repair shop and everything is fine now, but I

    was
    > wondering why didn't my athlon detect that the motherboard was becoming
    > unstable. For a month I was pulling my hair out, trying to go over every
    > possible inch of my pc trying to find a clue as to what was going on. My

    pc
    > was constanly rebooting, bluescreens, powerdowns, and checking itself for
    > errors. Every time it checked for errors it said problems in the volume
    > bitmap, file data, and freespace marked as allocated. I tried over a dozen
    > times to reinstall windows and it wouldn't copy correctly, so I replaced

    the
    > winXP with another new one and yet another new one (after exchange),

    didn't
    > help. Even safe mode wasn't booting.

    what other clues did you need?

    doS, Nov 21, 2004

  3. RAL99

    127.0.0.1 Guest

    "RAL99" <> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    > I just got back from the repair shop and everything is fine now, but I
    > was wondering why didn't my athlon detect that the motherboard was
    > becoming unstable. For a month I was pulling my hair out, trying to go
    > over every possible inch of my pc trying to find a clue as to what was
    > going on. My pc was constanly rebooting, bluescreens, powerdowns, and
    > checking itself for errors. Every time it checked for errors it said
    > problems in the volume bitmap, file data, and freespace marked as
    > allocated. I tried over a dozen times to reinstall windows and it wouldn't
    > copy correctly, so I replaced the winXP with another new one and yet
    > another new one (after exchange), didn't help. Even safe mode wasn't
    > booting. I low level formatted the hard drive, and that wasn't helping so
    > I bought a new one. I thought to myself it must be the internal modem or
    > the sound card, so I pulled them out and still couldn't install windows. I
    > knew I had no problems with my cd burner, because it was working with
    > every other cd. I downloaded Fdisk, Powermax, and everest?? to help me
    > along with the problems I was having. Event reporting, error logs,
    > drwatson, system info showed nothing as well. Chkdsk /r showed errors like
    > there was no tomorrow. At one time Windows could not find any drives as a
    > reason for not starting. After replacing the battery in the motherboard,
    > which didn't help too, I decided to take it to the repair shop, and they
    > had a nightmare with it themselves. I was expecting for them to tell me
    > that I had a bad controller, cables or even the powersupply. Eventually,
    > when they tried to update the bios, the motherboard fried. I din't pay
    > that much during the time at the repair shop, but I did still pay 100's of
    > dollars replacing parts & OS before hand. The pc is still working great
    > now, (only its second day though), but why wasn't this detected by windows
    > under WinME or WinXP? I could have had the problem taken care of a month
    > ago by just replacing the motherboard. I did learn my lesson though... If
    > I can't fix it the first time, I'll have someone else do it.
    >
    > X86 Family 6 Model 4 Stepping 2 AuthenticAMD ~959Mhz, Athlon motherboard,
    > 40gb + 10gb slave, 640mb ram, realtek audio AC97, (ATI 128mb graphics on
    > the way), HP9100 cdrw, and external usb cable modem now.
    > OS's were during the last month: WinME, XP Pro, XP Home SP2, then XP Home
    > SP1...See what I mean? LOL.
    > Now back to using WinXP Home SP2 build 2600 - No signs of giving me any
    > trouble yet.

    from my experience with homebuild older generation motherboards, they don't
    slowly die. they just die. but powersupplies can slowly die and give off
    many unexplained errors.

    my newer athlon XP 3000 + had problems that went away after getting a more
    expensive power supply. with AMD, overheating can contribute to unexpected
    problems. make sure the pc isn't in a confined area with no airflow.

    and don't forget to either vacuum or blow out the dust bunnies every 3
    months.

    -a|ex

    127.0.0.1, Nov 21, 2004
  4. RAL99

    Buffalo Guest

    "RAL99" <> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    > I just got back from the repair shop and everything is fine now, but I was
    > wondering why didn't my athlon detect that the motherboard was becoming
    > unstable. For a month I was pulling my hair out, trying to go over every
    > possible inch of my pc trying to find a clue as to what was going on.>
    > Thanks,

    [snip]
    > J.E.B.

    One such visual indication of a motherboard going bad is bulging and/or leaking
    capacitors.
    Well, after spending all that time (and money) on your machine trying to fix it,
    you did get some hands on experience.

    Buffalo, Nov 22, 2004
  5. RAL99

    RAL99 Guest

    "doS" <> wrote in message

    > "RAL99" <> wrote in message
    >> Hi,
    >> I just got back from the repair shop and everything is fine now, but I

    > was
    >> wondering why didn't my athlon detect that the motherboard was becoming
    >> unstable. For a month I was pulling my hair out, trying to go over every
    >> possible inch of my pc trying to find a clue as to what was going on. My

    > pc
    >> was constanly rebooting, bluescreens, powerdowns, and checking itself for
    >> errors. Every time it checked for errors it said problems in the volume
    >> bitmap, file data, and freespace marked as allocated. I tried over a
    >> dozen
    >> times to reinstall windows and it wouldn't copy correctly, so I replaced

    > the
    >> winXP with another new one and yet another new one (after exchange),

    > didn't
    >> help. Even safe mode wasn't booting.

    > what other clues did you need?

    Hi Dos,
    LOL, Your reply cracks me up because now I know it looked obvious that I
    needed a motherboard,
    but I didn't see it at the time. I was expecting System Information to tell
    me something in the problem device section,
    conflict section, and or I thought the Device Manager would say there's
    something wrong. Just like for bad modems and sound cards. Oh well, at least
    my pc is about 90% rebuilt now, and I'll know what the problem will be next
    time.
    J.E.B.

    RAL99, Nov 23, 2004
  6. RAL99

    RAL99 Guest

    > from my experience with homebuild older generation motherboards, they
    > don't slowly die. they just die. but powersupplies can slowly die and give
    > off many unexplained errors.
    >
    > my newer athlon XP 3000 + had problems that went away after getting a more
    > expensive power supply. with AMD, overheating can contribute to unexpected
    > problems. make sure the pc isn't in a confined area with no airflow.
    >
    > and don't forget to either vacuum or blow out the dust bunnies every 3
    > months.
    >
    > -a|ex

    Hi , Thanks for the tips. When the motherboard was replaced, I got the
    powersupply replaced too, just in case that was the cause. My tower is a
    large and very ventilated case, and I keep it in a cool room on top of my
    desk. Temps weren't that high when I was checking them, and I do try to get
    most of the dust out as much as I can. Before now, I didn't have a
    connection for a cooling fan, but now I do, and that happens to be one of
    the several parts I still have on order.
    J.E.B.

    RAL99, Nov 23, 2004
  7. RAL99

    RAL99 Guest

    > "RAL99" <> wrote in message
    >> Hi,
    >> I just got back from the repair shop and everything is fine now, but I
    >> was
    >> wondering why didn't my athlon detect that the motherboard was becoming
    >> unstable. For a month I was pulling my hair out, trying to go over every
    >> possible inch of my pc trying to find a clue as to what was going on.>
    >> Thanks,

    > [snip]
    >> J.E.B.

    > One such visual indication of a motherboard going bad is bulging and/or
    > leaking
    > capacitors.
    > Well, after spending all that time (and money) on your machine trying to
    > fix it,
    > you did get some hands on experience.

    Hi, nobody was able to see anything visually wrong with the motherboard, and
    there were problems showing up when they diagnosed it. I didn't get to see
    the motherboard after it failed, and they didn't say too much about it when
    it happened, but there was probably something visually wrong with it then.
    Speaking of visual things, my display used to wave side to side across the
    monitor during higher cpu usage, and since the repairs it hasn't been doing
    that.

    "you did get some hands on experience."

    True, and I hope I never have to go through all of the guesswork again.
    Thanks for the info.
    J.E.B.

    RAL99, Nov 23, 2004