Early Actrix report.

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by ~misfit~, Feb 11, 2006.

  1. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Well, I've been on Actrix Cyberjet 2M plan now for 48 hours.

    The good news? My PPP connection hasn't dropped once in that time. At this
    early stage I would say that Orcon were definiately responsible for all my
    PPP drop-outs (50+ a month) that I was previously getting and all the
    bullshit I went through with their helpdesk was just obfuscation, attempting
    to shift the blame. (I'll confirm in a few days) I'm still using the same
    router, phone-line and it's still going through Telecom's DSLAM etc. Orcon's
    fuckwits had me jumping through hoops for a week and wanted me to do it for
    another week before they'd consider escalating my problem to a tech. They
    lost at least a grand a year turnover because of that and earned my ire. If
    I have my way they'll lose more, I'm telling everyone I know about it.

    Secondly, Actrix haven't been giving me unthrottled P2P access. I dowloaded
    the latest episode of 'Lost' last night (2am actually) and didn't get over
    100kB/s (Theoretical max 256kB/s) on a torrent that had over 10,000 people
    participating in it, most of them seeding. According to Actrix's own graphs
    the fastest I got the day before was 1.2M. I didn't see it as it was o/n.
    Someone mentioned that often they don't switch to the slower speed for a
    while, that the machinery takes a bit of time to respond. I was watching my
    connection last night as I knew I was close and it hit the slow-down at
    1024.6MB. That's OK, it's as advertised.

    Thirdly they've sent me a bill in advance. There was no obvious warning of
    this when I signed up and frankly I haven't budgeted for it. I'm expecting
    my final Orcon bill anytime now so will have to eat dirt for a while.

    And, Fourth, Actrix were slow to get my email up and running. After logging
    in initially the website said email could take up to 4 hours to come
    on-line. It took 9. Also, yesterday, 36 hours after the connection went
    live, I went to check my tolls with them and it tells me that I'm not an
    Actrix tolls customer. I refered back to my confirmation email and it says
    that I signed up for tolls. I'm no longer with Orcon's tolls (just checked).
    Should I make a shit-load of toll calls and hope to get them free? <j/k>

    Also I had a temporary problem with a couple newsgroups. I got the
    "Newsgroup download in progress" message and when i downloaded again I got
    heaps of posts but none from the previous 8 days. I was in the middle of
    several converstaions and wanted to contimue them. I rang Actrix and told
    them after several hours of re-checking the groups. They both get on average
    30+ posts a day on a slow day. The guy was going to fob me off and email me
    later but I told him that I was a new customer and initial impressions
    usually help a person to decide if they're happy wit the providor. In the
    end he put me on haol, came back after a few minutes and asked me the names
    of the groups concerned and put me on hold again.

    He then said there was a problem (which I already knew but at least Actrix
    seems to admit when they have problems, unlike Orcon) and he'd email me
    within the hour as the techs were in a meeting. I got the email saying the
    groups had been re-set, there was no way they could retrieve the emails for
    that 8-day period so, if I had to I would have to use Google groups. I
    emailed back saying thank you for the prompt action but I wasn't exactly
    thrilled about being told to use Google groups as part of the reason that I
    went with them was because i was told they had good NNTP service.

    Stay tuned to this NG for further reports. Particularly about the PPP
    connection that was dropping on average every 10 hours with Orcon
    consistantly (and they kept telling me that was acceptable by their very low
    standards and wasn't caused by their equipment anyway, it was probably my
    fault) and hasn't dropped once with Actrix as yet in 48 hours. It seems that
    Ihug may have been the better option for P2P by all accounts but the only
    plan similar was around $20 more expensive, albeit with a higher data cap.

    TTFN,
    --
    ~misfit~
    ~misfit~, Feb 11, 2006

  2. ~misfit~

    XPD Guest

    "~misfit~" <> wrote in message
    > Well, I've been on Actrix Cyberjet 2M plan now for 48 hours.
    >
    > The good news? My PPP connection hasn't dropped once in that time.

    To be perfectly honest, I dont see why people freak out so much over their
    DSL/PPP dropping out.........yeah every 10hrs may seem annoying but think of
    it this way.... if ADSL never came onto the scene and you were still on
    dialup, would you honestly be bitchin that you got dropped after 10hrs ? I
    doubt many people would.... noone has ever said that ADSL is the perfect
    connection.
    My DSL/PPP drops probably a couple times a day, and I dont notice it or
    care.....if it was dropping out then taking 15mins to come back, then Id be
    a bit miffed.... what do you do that requires a 24/7 PPP connection thats
    "legal" ? ;-p

    Just my opinion, not trying to stir anyone/anything up.
    XPD, Feb 12, 2006

  3. ~misfit~

    Richard Guest

    XPD wrote:

    > To be perfectly honest, I dont see why people freak out so much over their
    > DSL/PPP dropping out.........yeah every 10hrs may seem annoying but think of
    > it this way.... if ADSL never came onto the scene and you were still on
    > dialup, would you honestly be bitchin that you got dropped after 10hrs ? I
    > doubt many people would.... noone has ever said that ADSL is the perfect
    > connection.

    Because the PPP is a totally unnessacary burden on the connection enforced by
    telecom. When ever it drops, you lose all your connections (unless your NAT is
    independent of the modem - unlikly with PPPoA) meaning that your position in any
    queues on p2p software is lost, have to re-ssh into servers, imap connections
    drop, MSN signs out and in meaning that my old conversation loses the
    clickability of the links and any streaming audio stops.

    > My DSL/PPP drops probably a couple times a day, and I dont notice it or
    > care.....if it was dropping out then taking 15mins to come back, then Id be
    > a bit miffed.... what do you do that requires a 24/7 PPP connection thats
    > "legal" ? ;-p
    >
    > Just my opinion, not trying to stir anyone/anything up.

    They sell it as always on, and in my experiance dialup is more always on then
    orcon bitstream.
    Richard, Feb 12, 2006
  4. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Richard wrote:
    > XPD wrote:
    >
    >> To be perfectly honest, I dont see why people freak out so much over
    >> their DSL/PPP dropping out.........yeah every 10hrs may seem
    >> annoying but think of it this way.... if ADSL never came onto the
    >> scene and you were still on dialup, would you honestly be bitchin
    >> that you got dropped after 10hrs ? I doubt many people would....
    >> noone has ever said that ADSL is the perfect connection.

    > Because the PPP is a totally unnessacary burden on the connection
    > enforced by telecom. When ever it drops, you lose all your
    > connections (unless your NAT is independent of the modem - unlikly
    > with PPPoA) meaning that your position in any queues on p2p software
    > is lost, have to re-ssh into servers, imap connections drop, MSN
    > signs out and in meaning that my old conversation loses the
    > clickability of the links and any streaming audio stops.
    >> My DSL/PPP drops probably a couple times a day, and I dont notice it
    >> or care.....if it was dropping out then taking 15mins to come back,
    >> then Id be a bit miffed.... what do you do that requires a 24/7 PPP
    >> connection thats "legal" ? ;-p
    >>
    >> Just my opinion, not trying to stir anyone/anything up.

    > They sell it as always on, and in my experiance dialup is more always
    > on then orcon bitstream.

    Exactly, what Richard said. Also, some downloads still don't support
    re-starting, you have to start them again. When I was on dial-up I could
    stay connected for as long as I wanted to or need to. With Orcon UBS I
    couldn't.

    Also, as I've stated before, I was regualraly getting dropped when I was
    with Orcon while I was gaming. The game I play is Diablo 2 and you have to
    progress on to the next way point and save the game there to actually make
    any progress in the game. Way too often with Orcon I could be playing for an
    hour or so, get close to the next way point only to have the PPP drop for a
    minute or two. That made the last hour of game-play pointless. I had to
    re-do it. When that happens three times in a row and you waste several hours
    of your life getting nowhere it can be rather frustrating.

    XPD, I'm happy for you that you don't mind the PPP dropping, that it doesn't
    inconvenience you. However, it *did* inconvenience me, frequently. You think
    I complain for the fun of it? I'm actually quite an up-beat, optimistic
    person. I don't get off on complaining for no reason.

    The kicker? Orcon's insistence that the problem was at my end, the constant
    demands that I disconnect my telephone, the last time they told me I'd have
    to disconnect it for 5 days and then get back to them. However, they made it
    clear that, even if I still had the PPP drop-out problem after 5 days, they
    wouldn't fix it as it was "acceptable". I've been connected with Actrix for
    over 2 days now, not one drop-out. It had been nearly a month since I'd been
    connected that long consecutively with Orcon.
    --
    ~misfit~
    ~misfit~, Feb 12, 2006
  5. ~misfit~

    Gordon Guest

    On Sun, 12 Feb 2006 13:11:05 +1300, XPD wrote:

    > To be perfectly honest, I dont see why people freak out so much over their
    > DSL/PPP dropping out.........yeah every 10hrs may seem annoying but think of
    > it this way.... if ADSL never came onto the scene and you were still on
    > dialup, would you honestly be bitchin that you got dropped after 10hrs ? I
    > doubt many people would.... noone has ever said that ADSL is the perfect
    > connection.

    Good grief, can we compare apples with apples.
    Gordon, Feb 12, 2006
  6. ~misfit~

    Torrential Guest

    On Sun, 12 Feb 2006 11:46:09 +1300, "~misfit~" <> wrote:

    >Well, I've been on Actrix Cyberjet 2M plan now for 48 hours.
    >
    >The good news? My PPP connection hasn't dropped once in that time. At this
    >early stage I would say that Orcon were definiately responsible for all my
    >PPP drop-outs (50+ a month) that I was previously getting and all the
    >bullshit I went through with their helpdesk was just obfuscation, attempting
    >to shift the blame. (I'll confirm in a few days) I'm still using the same
    >router, phone-line and it's still going through Telecom's DSLAM etc. Orcon's
    >fuckwits had me jumping through hoops for a week and wanted me to do it for
    >another week before they'd consider escalating my problem to a tech. They
    >lost at least a grand a year turnover because of that and earned my ire. If
    >I have my way they'll lose more, I'm telling everyone I know about it.

    Misfit.......

    from your post and the Ihug rulez..feedback.
    I will definitely drop Orcon and switch over to Ihug or Actrix!

    Orcon definitely has DSl modem connection problem
    and I can confirm this ..

    a disgruntle user as well!
    Torrential, Feb 12, 2006
  7. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Torrential wrote:
    > On Sun, 12 Feb 2006 11:46:09 +1300, "~misfit~"
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >> Well, I've been on Actrix Cyberjet 2M plan now for 48 hours.
    >>
    >> The good news? My PPP connection hasn't dropped once in that time.
    >> At this early stage I would say that Orcon were definiately
    >> responsible for all my PPP drop-outs (50+ a month) that I was
    >> previously getting and all the bullshit I went through with their
    >> helpdesk was just obfuscation, attempting to shift the blame. (I'll
    >> confirm in a few days) I'm still using the same router, phone-line
    >> and it's still going through Telecom's DSLAM etc. Orcon's fuckwits
    >> had me jumping through hoops for a week and wanted me to do it for
    >> another week before they'd consider escalating my problem to a tech.
    >> They lost at least a grand a year turnover because of that and
    >> earned my ire. If I have my way they'll lose more, I'm telling
    >> everyone I know about it.
    >>

    > Misfit.......
    >
    > from your post and the Ihug rulez..feedback.
    > I will definitely drop Orcon and switch over to Ihug or Actrix!

    Good move.

    > Orcon definitely has DSl modem connection problem
    > and I can confirm this ..

    As can I. Still no PPP dropout with Actrix and heading for three days now.
    With Orcon I was getting three a day in the last couple days.

    > a disgruntle user as well!

    I don't blame you. If they'd had the decency to tell me they were having
    problems or at least treated me better than the "mom and pop" users that
    Seeby was talking about they could have kept the $90+ a month broadband I
    was paying them as well as my tolls. As it is I'm telling all my friends
    about them. LOL, I've had a friend from NYC staying for the last week, just
    took him up to the airport for his flight to LA. He was cracking up at the
    amount of phone calls I get, the "free helpdesk" (as he called it) that I
    run, sorting peoples problems and configuration issues, hardware and
    software, and the requests I get to recommend which PC / laptop is the best
    value currently. A lot of those people also ask me which ISP is good. I
    haven't been saying Orcon for a while now, I used to recommend them all the
    time. As of the last couple of days I'm making a point of saying "Find one
    that suits you as long as it *isn't* Orcon". If people call me with connect
    problems and they're with Orcon the first thing I'll say is "Change your
    ISP" before I even look at their configuration. I had a guy ring me last
    night who wanted to know why the 'buttons' in OE had gone and how to get
    them back. First I asked him if he was with Orcon. When he said no I told
    him to right-click next to "Help" and left-click "toolbar". If he'd said he
    was with Orcon I'd have told him to ring me back when he had a decent
    providor.

    You could say I'm disgruntled. They treated me extremely dismissively, I'm
    gonna do the same to them.

    Karma.
    --
    ~misfit~