    Does anyone know how much time can take an 7500 rsp16 to switch one ip
    packet from one interface to another under normal conditions???

    thanks in advance for your help

    vsakel, Oct 24, 2003

  2. On Sat, 25 Oct 2003 00:43:42 +0300, vsakel wrote:

    > Hi !,
    >

    > I need to know, if it is possible, what is the round trip delay for
    > an E3 line for a various packet size and what mtu size have to be
    > configured in order to support high data rate with the lowest latency.

    At E3 speeds, the latency of the circuit is dominant, and you should not
    start touching MTU etc.

    To handle congestion situations, you might want to consider LLQ,
    Low Latency Queuing.

    > Does anyone know how much time can take an 7500 rsp16 to switch one ip
    > packet from one interface to another under normal conditions???

    We're talking microseconds.

    --
    Jesper Skriver, CCIE #5456, FreeBSD committer

    Jesper Skriver, Oct 24, 2003

  3. vsakel

    shope Guest

    "vsakel" <> wrote in message
    > Hi !,
    >

    > I need to know, if it is possible, what is the round trip delay for an E3
    > line for a various packet size and what mtu size have to be configured in
    > order to support high data rate with the lowest latency.

    you can work out the various times given the bit rate and packet size for
    time to inject a packet onto the line:
    eg 1500 bytes = 12k bits, so at 34mbps gives around 350 uSec

    depending on the line length the speed of light delays may well dominate.

    > Does anyone know how much time can take an 7500 rsp16 to switch one ip
    > packet from one interface to another under normal conditions???

    forwarding across the router will depend on load, slot flows, use of VIPs,
    and which forwarding path - i would expect sub 1 mSec.

    > thanks in advance for your help

    --
    Regards

    shope, Oct 25, 2003